Viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
some clown.......probably/hopefully a visitor....is really persistent in trying to infect someone's computer. continue to be on the look out. i suggest omiting your e-mail address from your profile.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get 3 or 4 a week of this Board??
pissed.gif

GASDOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya,the e-mails are usually Viper related,and have been sent to the address posted on your profile here.I just got another one last week ,the KLEZ32 internet worm,it will disable your virus scanning software and your firewall,and send out infected e-mails from your Microsoft Outlook if you open it.Just scan and delete infected files sent,even from familiar addresses.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify - viruses are not sent via harvesting email addresses fron this board. Viruses prey on a users personal address book (most usually in Outlook / Outlook Express) If a person has a many email addresses from folks that frequesnt this board, then it may *appear* that this board is being targeted.

Also, often, the default settings of Outlook is to add the name and address book as soon as a person send one email to them. So, if a person that has sent many notes gets a computer virus, the distribution list that will get forwarded the virus will be large and may contain many board issues.

Getting and runinng a good antivirus program will help you - also making sure that you do not allow programs to be run from the "preview pane" in Outlook Express will help, too.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if they made a virus to attack the Mac, it would shut all the Mac users down in about... 3 minutes..
smile.gif

Gerald

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting a half dozen virus emails per day. Sneaky bastages too, some look like a return email as in "server not found" or "cannot be sent". Then they add "Attachment is the original email". Enticing you to open it to see what it was you sent. Don't fall for it. Just delete them.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hehehehe

There are more of us than you think!
I'm a recent convert.. I like OS X main because of it's unix core.

I'm a PC guy by trade, I have both at home (actualy, many of both).

MM

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually Janni, the Klez virus (and probably most new viruses from now on) will collect e-maill addresses from .html files located on the user's hard drive. This means that just visiting this board with an infected machine and seeing someone's address (it stays in the cache) will cause that person to get sent the virus eventually.

Everyone should, of course, be looking into www.emailgatekeeper.com .
wink.gif

--Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte