VOI Drag Racing....... tire feedback requested.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're still investigating some interesting tire possibilities. I hope to be able to post a news release soon from Michelin that may make a lot of people attending VOI very happy. Keeping fingers crossed. Michelin is a great tire company and SO good to work with!

In the meantime, I would like a little feedback from those of you planning to specifically run at the drags..... in other than perhaps stock or Mod 1 class.

Let's just suppose that Michelin was willing to bring a bunch of their REAR 18" Club Slicks that were used for the Viper Days roadcourse events, and would sell them to you guys for.... say, as little as $75 per tire, either carry out, or mounted and dismounted for no charge at the track. These would not be near as good as the drag tires John Purner at CCW sells, but a consensus opinion is that they ARE considerably better than just stock tires. Would any of you be interested in something like this?

a. Please either post here or send me a private email..... bearing in mind that I'm heading to bed right now and will not be back to my computer until tomorrow night for any further response.

b. Also, please don't ask me a bunch of extra questions beyond just this one simple response. I absolutely will not have any OTHER answers yet.

c. Trying to head off the road racer response likely to spring from this anyway...... No, they don't have ANY fronts... we are talking REARS only. Of course, for any of you that might run the wide Purner wheels on all four corners..........
smile.gif

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
18' ?? How many cars use 18" wheels for drag racing. It's against any engineering logic. No sidewall to crush=No increased footprint, no wrap up. Plus I've never run a roadrace slick worth beans on a drag strip. Too hard and they bounce like a basket ball=busted parts for those not experience with launching their car.

Anyone with a pre 01 car has to buy rims! Bring for those who want to tip toe and let the rest of us run M/T in any modified class. That's why we modified them, to go faster, not feather them down the track.

Aside from that opinion. If everyone ran the same tire that would make the equation equal. But they need to have some 17" too.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

The Club Slicks were built on the XGT-Z casing, but were only available in 275 and 335-R17. I don't think Michelin ever offered the tire in an 18" rim size, so my assumption is that they are probably using a Pilot Sport casing with the Club Slick compound on it. The Sports have a softer sidewall than the MXX3 and are much more like the XGT-Z in that respect. I ran a durometer of the C.S. when new and they were between 47 and 50 at ~90F ambient. Some of what you give up in sidewall to the E.T.'s is gained back in effective contact patch - a full 13" of very sticky tread compound.

I still have a scrub set and a sticker set of the 335-R17 C.S. tires in the garage, but I'm really not a drag racer.

OP
OP
W

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys, but we did have a little mis-communication with Michelin on this. They ARE the 17 inch rears, not 18's. Let me know how that changes things for any of you who have responded so far, both here and to my email. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang