VRL Wheel to Wheel Racers--Spread the Word

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was just looking at your rules for VD WTW. I couldn't find anything about this. The closest i found was sections 5.1, driver restraints only. I believe the belts had to be 2 years old or newer....you might want to have someone make a change in the rules if this is the case...JMO

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is there look under the GT-1 & GT-2 car specification.Then go to the Drivers Compartment #4.And it says All drivers must wear a head restraint system.TeamTech,Hans or Hutchens are allowed.I'll be watching for them.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you interested, I was looking into purchasing a Hans device for the upcomming VRL season. I recently participated in a Panoz GT race at Road Atlanta and just before I went I checked the Hans website and found that the dealer was in Atlanta. I had heard differing accounts from people with some saying they didn't like the device so I called them and stopped by on my way to Road Atlanta. I was able to see the product as well as determine how it felt to wear before I purchased it. I decided that I liked it and they attached it to my helmet on the spot and I used the device all during the Panoz race that weekend. I had no trouble with restrictions to head movement and it detached very easily. Their address is:

Hubbard Downing Inc.
5096 Peachtree Road
Atlanta, GA. 30341
(770) 457-1046

They seemed to have quite a few in stock, and usually someone would send them their helmet and they would attach the clips and send you back your helmet with the divice.

I'm glad I got it.

BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard the cost of these devices is in the ballpark of $1,200. Now, somebody is bound to say “no cost too great for one’s safety.” But can’t a decision like this be left up to the driver? I’ll probably get ripped for this but I guess I’m leaning towards NASCAR’s Tony Stewart’s thought process.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Hans device is so way over priced. Many Winston Busch and Craftsmen Truck series drivers are using the Hutchens Device. It works almost the same as the Hans, and has a full thigh straps. It works much better. It is available thru a NASA member for $345.00. Frank Parise on this site had a post not long ago about it. I am looking up the information and will post it for all.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was concerned about it restricting my vision...but after one full season with the HANS, I will never race without it. You become adjusted to it almost immediatly and many people don't know that it really helps fight fatigue. I reccommend if you get the HANS to get the "Nascar quick release straps" and then attach something to the ends of them so you can grab them in a hurry if you need to. I'm 6'1" and getting out of my GTS' window with the HANS would be hard (not impossible with adrenaline) but the quick release frees the helmet and makes the collar fall back and stay with the seat and belts. The unit is very well built but I agree it's too expensive.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, I am sure Dale Earnhardt might have had MAYBE a better chance of being alive today if all the safety gear in his car was up to ***** and Tony Stewart now uses the Hutchens device. Maybe its me, but if this sport had left safety up to individuals, there would be many more tragedies.
I agree with 99T1, $1200 for the Hans is rather expensive, but it does work. I think the new Hutchens device for $ 345.00 is rather cheap safety!
Professional Autosports distributes the Hutchens and they can email you the details.
[email protected]
1-760-568-5801

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$345 is much more reasonable.

Earnhardt's lap belt snapped, that's the official word from NASCAR. Who knows, if he had been wearing a full face helmet he may have survived also.

I’m probably going to get flamed, but contrary to popular belief, I think it IS possible to cross a line of reasonability regarding safety. Are side air bags mandatory yet? How about a speed limit? Sounds ridiculous but remember when the hot pits were actually “hot?”

We participate in a sport that is mildly dangerous compared to the speeds and styles of NASCAR or Formula One. It doesn’t mean we need the same equipment. Oh well, rules are rules. And if I get a chance at the VRL I’ll have to abide by them.

Chuck "Tony Stewart" 98 RT/10 www.babelmotorsports.com

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look at it like this.....at 150 MPh plus a suspension part fails, a tire blow, that `" mildly" dangerous sport, just became EXTREMELY dangerous. A blown tire or broken suspension at high speed could cause a car to box cart, and guess what at that speed you need all the safety gear you cam install.
Me, Id rather be safe, maybe overly safe, and feel that in any crash I have a pretty good chance of walking away from it.
$ 345.00 is really a cheap safety measure, heck my helmet cost 3 times that much.
Air bags? don't get crazy now......LOl

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MikeH I already feel like I have a good chance of walking away from a crash, without the device. The only thing safer than my harness would be to wrap myself in a velcro cocoon. And if somebody builds one and markets it as “no expense too great” we’ll all have to get one.

BTW aint it great having an RT/10 AND a GTS?
smile.gif

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck when you said, "I already feel like I have a good chance of walking away from a crash, without the device." ...you seem to be relying only on your Teamtech harness...you forgot to mention your well designed SCCA legal cage with extensive side impact bars, knee bar, engine bracing, petty bar, one piece racing seat, fire suppression system and window net that go with that harness.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said, T1, I feel safe too with all the same things, and feel the Hans or Hutchens is just like the cage, knee bars, JUST one peice of the puzzle!

Yes its, great too have both an RT/10 and a GTS race coupe!:
biggrin.gif
:

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is now another alternative to the Hans and Hutchens head and neck restraint devices. Our friends at TEAMTECH have developed a head and neck restraint device called the Tucker Helmet Harness. They have been extensively testing it and it is now ready for production. I received the following information from Curt Tucker, President of TEAMTECH.

"the prototype TEAMTECH Head and Helmet Harness is being extensively tested and studied and has already proved to be of sound design, safety, and has shown the potenial of being the most functional helmet safety device currently on the market, crash test results will be on the website with in the next 10 to 15 working days. I am very please with this product, because not only is it safe it is affordable, easy to install and maintain, but it will do more than was hoped."

I understand that TEAMTECH is ready to begin shipping the Tucker Helmet Harness. It is priced at $295.00 each and are available in black or red. Since a customer self installation method is not yet available it is recommended that each racer interested in this harness send their helmet to TEAMTECH at the 3258 Bay Road, Saginaw, Michigan 48603. The cost of installing the Tucker Helmet Harness on your helmet will be $50.00, including the return shipping via UPS ground delivery service. Other priority shipping services is availible.

As you may be aware I am a big support of TEAMTECH's harnesses and Janni and I wrote a set of install instructions for TEAMTECH's 5 and 6 point harnesses. I am also a firm believer that none of us should be compromising safety in any way when we are running our Vipers at track events. While I am not affiliated with TEAMTECH in any way I greatly appreciate their efforts to improve driver safety. And I think that they manufacture the best harnesses available anywhere, regardless of cost!!

I was able to get pictures of the Tucker Helmet Harness and have attached some of them below:

You must be registered for see images

My helmet will be on the way to TEAMTECH to have a Tucker Helmet Harness fitted to it as soon as I can get it shipped out. I will post my impressions of it as soonas I get my helmet back.

I thought everyone should be aware of this. There really is no excuse not to wear head and neck protection at a cost of $298.00 plus $50.00 for helmet modification.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who have worn the Hans device. I had trouble with the rubber on the bottom of my helmet skidding on the rubber located on the Hans device. Anyone have a similar issue? Remedies?

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question on the Team Tech design.....What stops the chest rstraint from riding up your body , which then would offer no head restraint? The Hutchens goes all the way to your legs and wraps around their. It would seem to me the Team Tech would ride up?

speedpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking te same as Mike H. 400 bucks = set of pads that last 2-3 days. I am interested in the testing also HANS is probably like a ladder half the price is for lawsuits.

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To try to answer some of the questions posed here I spent quite a while talking to Curt Tucker at TEAMTECH today. Some of the items that we discussed are as follows:

1. What keeps the Tucker Helmet Harness from riding up??
The role of the harness around the chest is primarily to hold the straps that clip to the helmet in the proper position. Your 5 or 6 point harness shoulder straps go over the shoulder straps of the Tucker Helmet Harness and these are what the helmet straps pull on in an impact. When your body is thrown against your 5 or 6 point harness is also holds down the Tucker Helmet Harness and the straps that attach to your helmet. These straps then keep the helmet from moving too far forward due to the impact.

2. How comfortable is the Tucker Helmet Harness to wear??
It is more comfortable to wear than alternative approaches because it does not require a bulky shoulder pad assembly that can get in the way of the helmet and which can cause the 5 or 6 point straps to slip from their optimum position. It also does not require any straps that pull on other areas of your body. Since eveyrthing that bears against your body is just nylon strapping it does not dig into your skin in a bothersome way.

3. Does attaching it to your helmet reduce the effectiveness of the helmet??
The Tucker Helmet Harness attaches to the sides of your helmet in a non-impact area. This is critical as attaching in an impact area of the helmet can reduce the effectiveness of the helmet. You don't want the addition of head restraint system to reduce the effectiveness of your helmst!!

4. What (if any) are the downsides?
Since the Tucker Helmet Harness straps that run to your helmet go on the outside of your 5 or 6 point harness shoulder straps, it is necessary to attach the clips to the helmet after getting into the car and putting your 5 or 6 point harnesses on. Similarly, you must unclip the helmet straps before getting out of the car. So there is a compromise involved but it seems like a small one to me versus the safety protection of preventing your head and neck from experiencing excessive stress in an impact.

I will be at the Viper Days event at Willow Springs and will have a chance to try out the Tucker Helmet Harness myself. I am anxious to see if it is reasonable to use. I hope to never test it myself but am anxious to have the extra safety that it offers...

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Henry or anyone get to try out the Hans versus the Hutchens or Team Tech Helmet restraints at Viper days? Like to know some opinions?

OP
OP
FrankBarba

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i pruchased the team tech system. i will be using it for the first time in an enduro race next weekend. after 2 1/2 hours i will have an idea of what it is like. i will report back...

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the Hans Device at Willow Springs and it worked just fine. I could turn my head to either side without restriction, and I could move as far forward as I would want without any problem. The downside is the cost as some have already mentioned. But like the joke about buying a $100 helmet if you have a $100 head, I think you get what you pay for. What I like about the Hans Device is that it is so simple. I have not worn either the Hutchins or the Team Tech, but I guess I'm a little concerned about all the straps and adjustments becoming part of the problem instead of the solution. The Hans Device has very short straps at the proper angle and prevents your head from moving too far forward. A good race seat with side supports for limiting head travel in the event of a side impact covers that axis. Just my .02, and I am still getting used to everything but I feel safer already.

BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, now I am even more confused as to what to buy. I hate to spend a grand if the 350.00 Hutchens is the same. It seems like they all alow head movement. The question is what is the right amount of movement. Too tight as Frank says is bad. If you cant turn your head to see who is next to you, thats an accident waiting to happen....The team tech didnt impress me any, so do I spend a grand or try the Hutchens for a while...now what?

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

You're not too far away. If you want we could meet half way and I would be happy to show you my Hans/helmet combination and explain why I feel safer than I used to. Let me know if you are interested.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You're not gonna like what I have to say.....

My first mistake was purchasing a Hutchens device. My second mistake throwing it out and purchasing the Teamtech device. I tried both of them at Willow Springs. They both ****. Now for my opinion...

To get either device tight enough so that it gives protection from your nead and neck snapping forward and back, you have to give up the ability to turn your head left or right. It is impossible to use your sideview mirrors without detaching your retinas. The net result, in my opinion, is that you are less safe 99.9% of the time because you now have a restricted view of your competition from behind and along side of your car. Is this worth the protection in the event of a crash? I think these devices will cause crashes!

All the other racers I talked to at Willow Springs said they were wearing one of these two devices simply because the rules required them, so they kept them loose enough so as to not restrict their vision and therefore had little in the way of nead/neck protection. In other words...it was a complete waste of money.

The rule is well-intentioned, but the products can't **** enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21