Wait for '03 or buy "01 or '02?

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait for \'03 or buy \"01 or \'02?

Hi guys.
I'd like some opinions. I am on a waiting list for an '03 RT-10. I don't know if I could even get an '03, and I don't know about buying a first year vehicle (1st year production bugs?) I had a bad experience with oil consumption with my '01 ZO6.

I am not what you'd call a strong convertible type, but I really enjoyed the Targa top on my '98 Vette Coupe. Enough open air for me when I wanted it, but an enclosed cockpit when I wanted it also.

I am in a position to buy a new '01 or '02 Viper now if I want to. I thought maybe a good course of action might be to buy an '01 or '02 and then get a Gen III in 4-5 years. I am trying to decide:

1. Should I wait for the GEN III, assuming I could get one?
2. Is the current RT/10 with the factory hardtop water tight in rain?
3. Is there a significant performance difference between the GTS and the RT/10?
4. Can I save some decent money buying an '01 vs. an '02?

I kind of prefer the GTS looks-wise by a small margin, but it sure is nice to pop the top sometimes. I could happily live with either type, though.

Thanks in advance for you help. Looking forward to moving to the Viper Nation.
Regards,
Dave

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Wait for \'03 or buy \"01 or \'02?

A similar thread passed this way about a month ago. It was titled "In light of the 2003 would I be foolish to buy a 98-00?" started by Viperdrummer. I suggest you do a search for the phrase "foolish to buy" in the Subject, and read the responses. Most of your questions should be answered.

1. Since there's no guarantee you'll get a 2003, I would suggest purchasing one now. You won't regret it.

2. I believe the hardtop is relatively tight, but can't speak from personal experience.

3. Since 1997 there has been no significant performance difference between the RT/10 & GTS -- they are the same mechanically. The GTS has a higher top speed thanks to aerodynamics.

4. Doubtful there's a significant amount to be saved on an '01 vs '02. Some of the high volume dealers should have 01's in stock now. I bought my car from Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge, and can highly recommend them. Give Bill a call.