Wanting to get a GTS need your help

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 96 B/W with HRE 540 wheels,newer tires,borla exhaust and some extras with 50k miles on it....$33k would take it(clean/clear title in hand,two owner,never been in an accident,btw). lemme know if interested

I'd pick neither as they don't have enough mods to be quicker than the 08s. I admit to liking the smooth tubed, headered and upgraded brake car the best though.

Headers and exhuast ($2,200+) and polished intake with smooth tubes (probably another $1500), lightweight rotors ($1200?).

There was a Roe supercharged car that sold for $42,000 recently and that's what I'd buy. Why buy a $80K car when there are $150K cars available for a few thousand more? ... unless you don't like the extra 400hp?

Ted

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes no sense paying 40k or even 35k for a 97 even if it's a gts 2003-2006 models could be had for that. I feel a night and day difference from the pre 2003.

It all comes down to research. You really need to go do some because it's obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. There are many reasons besides looks that go into the resale value of the GTS. Especially the 96-99.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only way I'd buy a Gen 3 would be if it was sooooo cheap, I couldn't resist. I don't like convertables as punks seem to slash the roof only because it's made of canvas or they want to look inside? I also wrote off a Viper with runcraps. 2000 started getting cast pistons and the Gen 3s continued that.

GTS has rear exit exhaust and NO UPS Truck sounds. GTS is also faster and more aerodynamic than the verts. The Gen 3s (except coupes) all look similar to a saturn solstice from the back. the Gen 2, especially GTSs won more Grand Prix races than any other. Historically, the GTS is the most significant of all Vipers.

Ted

goldlifter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It all comes down to research. You really need to go do some because it's obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. There are many reasons besides looks that go into the resale value of the GTS. Especially the 96-99.

Agreed...the proof is in the resale value,though. I have been seeing a lot of 03's sell for less than 99-02 GTS's with comparable miles. Don't get me wrong, the SRT's are cool cars but they will never have the impact/styling of the GTS....it is the quintessential viper(especially the Blue/White)

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
35K Be firm he will take it...You are in the drivers seat with cash my friend...Keep looking in the meantime...let him sweat for awhile...al

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes no sense paying 40k or even 35k for a 97 even if it's a gts 2003-2006 models could be had for that. I feel a night and day difference from the pre 2003.

You'll really feel it when you try to sell an '03-'05 SRT. :)

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed...the proof is in the resale value,though. I have been seeing a lot of 03's sell for less than 99-02 GTS's with comparable miles. Don't get me wrong, the SRT's are cool cars but they will never have the impact/styling of the GTS....it is the quintessential viper(especially the Blue/White)

Hell I've seen some before the economy went south going for the same as 05's. But yes, nothing beats the styling of the GTS IMO.