Washing the Snake

wcollera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to be washing my viper for the first time since I bought it. What do you suggest for washing the viper? What do you suggest for washing the rims? What kind of tire wet works best? If you can give me your pointers I am taking it to its first showing since I have had it?

Thanks

bill
hail[1].gif

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use nothing but white fieldcrest 100% cotton towels (17 bucks a pop) with miguires soap.. I use better towels on my cars than I do on myself...I use cotton towels and water to clean to the rims and finish them off with Zaino z6...miguires gel for the tires.....my 2 cents..

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never used a claybar. I use Zaino - polish, tire gloss, leather. I'm very happy with all Zaino products. I haven't used McQuires or Mothers.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What color Viper you have will play a large role in how you wash it.

If you have a Silver one then washing is not as big of a deal. Mine may have scratches all over the paint job from abrasive towels, but you can't see them.

If you have a black one, (Pretty sharp if kept clean) if you have the slightest scratch in the paint you will see it pretty clearly.

Personally, I only use a light soap about once a month. Just about every day I go over the car with a car duster for the body, a car duster for the inside, and a final car duster for the wheels.

Once or twice a week I clean the car with a light water wipe down.

This is the second silver car I've had and it is really easy to keep clean.

Scorch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought my first Viper. A used 1994 RT10 in very good condition. I wanted to get it looking as good as possible so I bought all the Zaino stuff I could get my hands on. Cleaned the car using Dawn dish soap per Zaino's directions. The car was squeaky clean (or so I thought). Used the clay bar next. Couldn't believe the amount of stuff that came off. In short if you absolutely want your car clean prior to applying Zaino (or any other product) use the clay bar.

Luvjet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clay bar works great. As mentioned earlier, you wouldn't believe how much smoother the paint feels after using it! Don't forget to use a lubricant on it though.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
That's funny because when I ordered my Zaino kit for the Impala (which hadn't been washed for the four winter months) I cleaned as per directions but there was nothing on the clay bar. In fact the whole experience left a bitter taste in my mouth but the end result was still better then when I used Mothers. I think maybe there is just too many steps in the Zaino process especially when having to hand wax a car this size several times.

If we get this house then I'll put honest time into rewaxing the car properly again and see what happens.

Hot Rod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I cover the car with buckets of soapy water then use the hose without the nozzle to float dust particles off the surface.

Then I wash with Maguires car wash. The secret though is in the drying - I use an electric leaf blower, which removes 90% of the water. Follow it up with "the absorber", available at Pep Boys, then a cotton towel. My experience, the less you touch the car, the fewer the swirl marks. Follow with a good gloss enhancer like Zaino or Eagle One Wet.

Wheels, I switch to soapy water (Dawn), spray with Windex to remove residue then wax (Eagle One Wet). Tires - use Maguires.

My wife thinks I'm a little too picky but the whole process takes a little over an hour. Check the avitar for results.

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok... so your asking how to wash and wax the snake....

why not ask some experts... how about professional detailers
that wax cars for a living...

Here's some very good reading and I know it works... these
guys know how to make Zaino shine like no other... but
they use different methods that you might expect

Check them out at http://autopia.ws/index.php

I switched to the micro fibre towels and they are without doubt
the best I have ever used.... they work great and do not
scratch the paint.
Lots of ideas on wax's....

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching others wash their cars, they miss the simple things. Most do not use enough soap and water. I usually need about three to four bucket fulls for one wash. Always wash from the top down. Use a seperate rag for the wheels. It amazes me how simple things like this get overlooked.

I do not wash my car in the sun. I wait until the sun starts to go down. I never wash my car after I drive it. The car must be cold. Water spots from fast drying is asking for more work. After a wash, I first hit all the cracks with the air hose. I don't wax until the next day after the car is 100% dry.

I dry the large areas with a California Water Blade, then use an Absorber, then towels.

Call me an idiot, but I use two teaspoons of corn oil in my wash with the soap. Dirt particles adhere to the oil and scratch less. I wash my car a lot. My car is always show ready.

Clay barring a car is a must. Even a brand new car will have problems and need it. You can clay bar everything including the glass and plastics. I clay bar about twice a year.

I don't like glass waxes. It smears. I use Stoners Invisible Glass. This is the best. Throw away Windex.

Zaino is good, but do not use the applicators they give you. Throw those away. They **** up half the bottle. They are good for Sam and bad for you. I use large tile sponges that I cut up. Very soft and effective.

I wash everything after each use. Never reuse an unwashed rag or towel from a previous cleaning.

Furry wash mit will not cause swirls.

ssssssnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For regular washing I would use a chamois. I would use one to dry too. I have used 100% cotton before and it does scratch so watch out. It may depend on the color of your snake.

Zaino Bros is the best for polishing!!!!

Chamois will not scratch no matter what.

Mark

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
sssssnake,

Chamois is a great absorber.... but, it has no napp to hold any dust/grit particles that are on the car, so in theory you are correct, the chamois won't scratch the car... but any particle that it picks up... might.

Sal (Zaino, a fellow Viper owner, and VCA member) suggests you use 100% cotton DOMESTIC (it seems the imports tend to have nylon strands on the edging.. which might scratch), and dry it gently. The terry napp will allow the particles to imbedd in the towel, rather than back on your car.

Sounds logical to me.

ssssssnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
logical sounding maybe.....but cotton STRATCHED my car no BS!!

Well like I said before I have used 100% cotton, and it did leave scratches on my car(not pulling your leg).....there was no nylon in the cloth.

As far as a chamois is concerned: Its very simple keep the chamois CLEAN. Only a ***** would try to wipe their snake with it full of dirt and crap....

Everyone has their own methods. I'll stick with mine.

jgfurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto the claybar/Zaino recommendations. Claybar is also great for removing embedded brake particles from your rims. Just don't reuse that piece of claybar on anything else. Also Dixter's comments about microfiber are right on. I had heard horror stories about using microfiber. However, Griot's Garage now has very nice microfiber towels that are absolutely wonderful. Use them and you'll never go back to cotton.

If you don't drive in the rain, you can actually get by without ever washing your car. I use a california duster to remove the easy stuff, then wipe the whole car down with Zaino super-gloss spray. Someone else on this site had suggested that, and it really does work great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc