Water coming from exhaust

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can someone please explain where the water shooting out of my exhaust is coming from? I thought it was condensation in my cats, but this is not possible as I took the cats off, blew compressed air in them and nothing came out. The water is clear (no rust, etc) and carries with it the black dust from inside the exhaust. Without tasting it, I'm 99% sure it's just plain old water.

It's not a trivial amount either. How do I get rid of it and keep it from getting in the system in the first place. I have the K&N filter kit on the car.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Water can condense anywhere in the exhaust system, not just the cats. As long as it only happens after a cold startup and goes away shortly after, I would not worry about it. I doubt there is anything you could do to prevent it and mine does the same thing.

--- Ken

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Water vapor is one of the primary end products of the combustion process. Unless your engine coolant level won't stay up, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

OP
OP
S

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It didn't seem like anything to worry about since the water was clear, but I felt it was best to get the opinion of the masses :)

Thanks to both of you for calming my nerves.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean is correct. The water is just condensing exhaust gases. Once the exhaust components get hot enough the water does not condense until well outside of the tailpipe.