Water Wetter didn't do a thing

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Water Wetter didn\'t do a thing

Well, I'm far from being an expert, but I'll tell you my experience with Water Wetter in an '87 Corvette I used to own...no difference in water temp, and if you know that car, it had a digital readout for the temp and pressure guages. You never could see any difference. As far as the Viper goes (and probably most other cars) the gauges can be misleading. I'm not sure the calibration is spot on. Most of the Viper owners will tell you that the fuel gauge readout stinks, not real accurate. Pressure and temp gauges are not mechanical, but function through a sending unit. Electrical impulses translated to a guage readout. I don't believe the factory Q/C spends alot of money or time perfecting these areas. The important thing, I would guess, is that it varies very little and always comes down when the fan kicks on. My '95R/T ran cooler (by a little) than my '99GTS does (by reading the guages, that is), but I believe the thermostats are both the same. If your from Michigan, I would say to stay with the factory stat. If your from Florida or Arizona, where its hot like the girls, run the 180 degree job (you California guys must be gritting your teeth now!). Hey, in Pittsburgh, we're still scaping ice off the windshield!

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK> couldn't resist replying to this one. Let's try something new here: Everybody chant the following mantra together, OK? Here it is.....WARM IS GOOD....WARM IS GOOD....all together now....etc etc etc. I know...I know...I live in Arizona and see my needle going into the 210-220-etc. whatever region you want to call it, and truthfully, even in the dead of summer here, it's fine. Perfectly fine and doesn't boil over or lose any coolant. The fan kicks on and that's it. I have heard guys swear they got some benefit from water wetter in both race and street cars, but in my hot rods, over the years, I have never had it help me even one stinkin' degree. I think it greatly depends on the particular application, as do most cooling problems.
My radiator guy likes about a 30 per cent mix of antifreeze and distilled water with a can of that milky water pump lube thrown in to prevent crud more than lube the water pump. Of course, climate matters here. pete

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2 bottles of WW and a burp did make a noticable difference during hot road racing conditions...kept me below the red but I agree with the previous post that the gauges are probably far from accurate.

Dan Vargus

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Water wetter or not? The function of water wetter or a like is that it removes the air pockets inside the cooling system. If you don't purge out all,all,all,all, of the air you will still retain heat in the air pockets in the cooling system. Heat after a certain point KILLS HORSE POWER. An engine runs better when the fuel DOESN'T vaporize before it hits the cylinders. (Remember when we iced down the intake before the big race). Cooler is better on everything including the equipment. Max Performance depends on upgrades such as, plug temps, air flow, exhaust gas temps etc. Remember the more mods the hotter the engine gets. Cool her down any way you can.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was always under the impression that water wetter is primarily used when the coolant must be drained. A lot of racing organizations (mostly motorcycles) make you drain your antifreeze out in case you crash. That way if the radiator breaks the track doesn't get coolant spilled on it (very slippery).

We've been racing here out west and have tried everything. I put a huge 4-core radiator and watter wetter in and the temp dropped maybe 5 degrees (if that). The problem is airflow. At higher speeds there isn't enough flow through the front of the radiator. The air apparently packs up behind the radiator. The only real solution is to cut the bottom of the facia and direct the air up from the bottom. Sean Roe makes a perfect kit. You can't even really tell the car has been cut unless you look beneath it. Before the kit all of us out here would go straight to 250 on the track in the summer. After the kit the temps never went above 230 or so.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Sure are a lot of AZ posts here & it's not even summer yet. Unless the motor has problems, The t-stat sets how cold the motor will run, (whether you have watter wetter, 50/50, or all distilled water) and the radiator/fan is controlling how hot it will run.

Putting in the colder t-stat will result in larger temp swings: running on the cool/cold side when on the highway and when you are in stop and go traffic the temp will swing up to the same temp as if you had a stock t-stat.

If it's not boiling over it is likely ok. Too cold can be bad, as can too hot. Pete knows.

No, most new cars do not see the temp needle swing back and forth with the fan cycling on and off and if that makes you nervous call T. Darwin for a more efficient rad.(727) 319-6161

brett

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kevin, If the baby hasn't burped up alot I wouldn't worry too much. Paul's right, more air is the remedy. It's going to run warm, it's a big motor with with a lot of hp and there's no way to get it to run cool like a smaller motor. I never noticed it running any hotter than my '97 did. Have your Dodge tech check it if you're realy worried.