WELL JUST OVER 300 MILES AND ALREADY HAD PROBLEMS

Reaction score
05RedSRT,

I know how it feels to have a sick Snake. My 97 had to go back to Arrow for a rebuild. Hated the loss of use but when it came back it was great, better then the original build. Had a 96RT and it have almost perfect, my 98 GT2 have been almost trouble free. And I love my RAM QC SRT10!

My 03SRT had a couple problems one with the Valves and blinking lights. The valve problem was poorly handled by Dodge and not at all to my satisfaction. But over all I love Vipers and consider them more reliable, than other exotic sports cars with less performance and higher maintenance cost. I take a 99 ACR to open track events and it performs like a champ.

In my opinion these cars are fantastic and pretty bullet proof. There are manufacturing and material defects in every industry. A valve spring failing at 300 miles is an anomaly.

The loss of use of the car for weeks due to a manufacturing defect without consideration is also not equitable. This is a part of the automotive business that needs to be changed. This failure will be a major cost to the manufacture but that is their responsibility and they should step up to the plate and give you a new car or motor. What would they do if it failed when unloading the delivery transporter? Send a new motor to the dealer? Take the car back to Conner Ave? Have the dealer send the motor to arrow and try to sell it as a new car? Work with the local Viper Club President and the Zone manager for Dodge. Be polite patient and stay committed to a logical fare solution. The legal path is a long road with no promise of a happy result. I would focus on getting the Snake back on the road asap.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know it’s tough but you’ve got to try and find something positive here. I think the positive here is the fact that the valve spring broke with the engine in stock form. Imagine if that spring had broken after you had done a bunch of performance “upgrades”. The dealer would be telling you to walk.

I always get read the riot act when questioning the wisdom of installing performance “upgrades” but hearing about stuff like this leaves no doubt in my mind that stock setup is the only way to go. At least if you have issues with a stock setup, the dealer has no leg to stand on. I'd hate to think where you’d be if you had broken that spring after installing a blower. The $12,000 for a new engine would be coming out of your own pocket. I’d like to run 9's just as much as the next guy but I hate $12,000 surprises.

OP
OP

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newest update, well the cars been in the shop since march 14th and it's still sitting there 25 days later. Supposedly it's been approved for the engine to be replaced with a new one from the factory, but that was said 2 weeks ago. Its really such a shame, I really liked the car for the whole 340 miles I got to drive it. I guess dodge really doesnt care about their people. Especially ones that spend 80k. At this point I just want a new car...

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most state's Lemon Law protections apply when your vehicle is out of service for 30 days in a one year period. Getting Lemon Law protection can be a pain but it might be worth it to ask a lawyer what your chances are.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
25 days with no firm resolution decided is unacceptable by any standards. I would suggest the following:

1. Work your way up the servicing dealership food chain immediately. Talk with the GM, and if they don't offer to take immediate action, then ask for the Zone Rep to be involved (I think that is the right term). Request action to be taken (decision and ordering) within 36 hours (roughly end of day on Friday).

2. Contact your local VCA president and ask them to help via the Zone Directors and/or the National officers. They have good contacts within Dodge and should be able to help. Heck, I will do that for you right now. PM your contact information to me and I will get the ball rolling.

3. If all else fails, here is the Tennessee Lemon Law in detail. The bottom line is that 30 calendar days is VERY near and your only obligation is to give immediate notice to the dealer/manufacturer.

Drop me a PM and I will see what I can do on this end.

Chris

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A situation like this is why I would only buy a new Viper from a dealership like Woodhouse, Tators or Roanoke.
You can bet there would have been a happy ending to this story by now!

Bone Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
05REDSRT

I'm sorry about your ordeal. I agree w/ the lemon law. You paid >80k, that's equivalent of 4 cars from dodge, so you should get treated promptly. Chris had a nice plan in his thread. good luck. Hooman

OP
OP

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I FINALLY got my car back today, 35 days or so since its been in the shop, they put a brand new engine in it. Drove just fine on the way home. It's warmed up since it went into the shop and the car rides so much nicer in the warmer weather, I assume because the run flats arent so hard. Hopefully there will be no further issues.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris had a nice plan in his thread.
Although the prior wait was still inexcusable, the plan DID work: After we heard back from Aaron very late on 4/12 (no info to proceed with before that), we immediately contacted some folks we thought could help. They in turn contacted the plant directly the very next morning (eight hours later). By that afternoon a new engine was en route - all in less than 18 hours from when we first heard from Aaron. Several miles of red tape were cut and a new engine shipped immediately.

Glad to see the results and I hope you have many years of trouble-free driving from here on out!

Chris

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember the golden rule: E I A S everything is a scam!! Yea the old term, the dealer will work with you. What they dont say is "to OUR benefit, not yours". Man I feel for you and I hope all works out with your new car asap.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris had a nice plan in his thread.
Although the prior wait was still inexcusable, the plan DID work: After we heard back from Aaron very late on 4/12 (no info to proceed with before that), we immediately contacted some folks we thought could help. They in turn contacted the plant directly the very next morning (eight hours later). By that afternoon a new engine was en route - all in less than 18 hours from when we first heard from Aaron. Several miles of red tape were cut and a new engine shipped immediately.

Glad to see the results and I hope you have many years of trouble-free driving from here on out!
Chris
Nice work Chris. I read this post, picked up the phone and renewed my VCA memebership. :2tu:

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fort Lauderdale, FL (Winter) Saugatuck, MI (Summer
This might sound stupid, but won’t the new engine have a new VIN number? Which might hurt re-sale? I was at the Fort Lauderdale Dodge a month ago and they sent out an engine on a 04 SRT and the mechanic told me the guy wanted it rebuilt so that it would not have a new VIN number. Can anyone shed some light on this?

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris, good job, being part of the Viper Nation has many benefits. Thanks for helping what I think is a stranger to you. What we need from the VCA is more like Chris.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might sound stupid, but won’t the new engine have a new VIN number? Which might hurt re-sale? I was at the Fort Lauderdale Dodge a month ago and they sent out an engine on a 04 SRT and the mechanic told me the guy wanted it rebuilt so that it would not have a new VIN number. Can anyone shed some light on this?
While this is certainly no diss on the Corvette community, the "numbers matching" thing seems to be more important over there. With many Corvette converts in the Viper nation, there are bound to be a handful that would be concerned with this. However I think that if you look at all the Viper ads on the net (VCA Classifieds, Auto Trader, etc.), you won't find a single one that says "numbers matching" - unlike most Vette ads. That is largely because Vette engines come in so many flavors. How many horsepower variations did the 327 show up with? How about the 350? The only numbers Viper buyers seem to be concerned with are horsepower and torque. As it should be. :2tu:

Chris, good job, being part of the Viper Nation has many benefits. Thanks for helping what I think is a stranger to you. What we need from the VCA is more like Chris.
While Aaron was indeed a stranger to all of us, rest assured this was not me doing this solo by any means. We got folks like Kingman Hitz (National VCA officer), CAAP, and many others involved to make this happen. I would also add that this was an extreme example, as most of your Viper dealerships like Woodhouse, Roanoke, Ringgold, etc. will already be on top of this. It is unfortunate that some dealers are unable to understand the system or go that extra mile to make it right. I am happy to be part of an active car club and associated with a receptive manufacturer that will work together to help when they can. This is one of those times that it paid off.

Chris

OP
OP

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was ALSO concerned with the new engine replacement, because of possible resale problems in the future. But at this point I really dont care, because I love the car and I plan on keeping it for a long time, and just enjoying it as much as possible. It doesnt drive any bit different than before it broke. If other cars pass it up in power, I will just Mod it more and more to keep it ahead of the pack. Thanks again Chris.

AHMAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, i just saw that you are in Cordova. I live in Collierville but am always in the Bartlett/Cordova area. I have the black C6 with limo tint, black/machined wheels and exhaust. I am looking into getting a 2005 SRT-10 soon once I find the right buyer for mine and the right deal on a new or barely used one. Sorry about your dilemma. Glad you got it all handled and enjoy the car.

Feel free to stop me and chat if you see me around town. I drive alot during the day for work running around town..and ont he weekends int hat area.

Ahmad

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now? Very little if any impact on value. Thirty years from now (if there is still gas) yes, impact, maybe sifgnificant, but only on collector quality cars. FYI, VINS on frame (two places), tranny tailshaft housing, engine block, and windshield surround. No telling how many do not take the time to swap tranny tailshaft housings when the tranny gets mutalated at the track ;) .

Chis mentions the Vette community numbers matching concerns, same goes for any old collector car, Mustang's, Shelby's, Cuda's, whatever.... Vipers just have not entered that realm yet as they are still relative babies. When they get there, you'll add things like "original paint", "never wrecked", "low orignal miles", original tires, hoses, etc, etc, etc. to the "VINS Match" list.... how many still even have the original airbox and filters for gosh sake?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness