What 19 in tire for SRT Viper

DJ Self

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the best 19in tires you SRT guys use? Are there any out there or should I just get 18in wheels and go with a Nitto drag tire?

Thanks

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Don't know of a good 19 inch tire for the SRT-10.

I second the 18-inch SSR comps, very light and better looking "in person", but went with the Nitto drag radials. I believe they offer more traction than the Kumhos. You can get them in 305x35 ZR 18, 12.4 inches of rubber on the ground. These work well on the street too. I'd go with the BFG drag radials (18-inches too) for the track only.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 19s you can get the pilot sports or the pilot sport runflats.

In 18s you can get the pilot sport cups, the BFG drag radials, and some others.

SSR Comps are great wheels. Very very light compared with the stock wheels. Call JonB at partsrack. I got a set of SSR Comps and pilot sport cups from him for a very good price.

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pirelli's I have them on my Jaguar and they are really unstable in the rain just a little feedback FYI. I am replacing them due to poor performance

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got Bridgestone Enzo non-run flat tires - 345 35 19. They are only available in 35 series, so the sidewall is significantly taller. I have noticed a few things:

-The wheelhouse clearance looks better as it fills up the opening (car isn't lowered, yet)
-The drivetrain clunking noise is drastically minimized. Extra sidewall flex? I like it!
-The ride is MUCH better. Handling seems the same.
-The cold traction is so far superior to the run-crap Michelins it's like night and day. I haven't run them at the drag strip yet, so I'm not sure if they will lower my 60' times but I'm betting on it.

OP
OP
D

DJ Self

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys.
How would you compare the SSR wheels to the CCW( John P ) Wheels?

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got Bridgestone Enzo non-run flat tires - 345 35 19. They are only available in 35 series, so the sidewall is significantly taller. I have noticed a few things:

-The wheelhouse clearance looks better as it fills up the opening (car isn't lowered, yet)
-The drivetrain clunking noise is drastically minimized. Extra sidewall flex? I like it!
-The cold traction is so far superior to the run-crap Michelins it's like night and day. I haven't run them at the drag strip yet, so I'm not sure if they will lower my 60' times but I'm betting on it.

I was told by the guys at Tire Rack that this tire is 1.4 in taller and that
if you don't change the front to match it would mess with the anti-lock.
The only other option I could see was to switch to NON run-flat Pilot Sports
and have been looking for more info on traction. It does seem like it might
ride better with the non run-flats. Any other options? I would like a tire
that can corner and not just traction in a straight line.

Herc

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody have a set of rear tires they want to get rid of? I'm in need of a set of either runflats or regular tires. I'll take a good used set, PM me.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guys at the tire rack are like any other business. Some know what they are talking about, some don't.

IF changing the diameter of ANY tire on ANY car with ABS (ever see a Honda Civic with 20's?) messed up the system, no one could ever change tire sizes.

The ABS computer is a simple counting machine. A very fast one. If it sees one wheel 'count' lower than the others, it releases brake pressure on that wheel. It doesn't compare that number to a nominal. If it did, as a tire wears down the count would change. Cars with stability control compare what's going on with each wheel count, but the programmers are smart enough to compensate for different tire sizes.

I have no problems with my ABS (or speedometer) using the Bridgestones.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't find this tire on any of the websites. Is the Bridgestone tire you have actually the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A?

tmcphail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did these tires help out wheel hop any ?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have the run-craps on the front, they still have good tread at 20,000 miles! I have the replacement fronts sitting in my living room (been there for 6 months, I don't know why I haven't moved them) They are Michelins, 285 35 18's NON run flat. I expect the ride will improve even more when I change them out.

I never had a really bad problem with wheel hop until the original tires were down to no tread. The Bridgestones are so sticky I rarely spin the tires anymore. I know, hard to believe! The handling feels exactly the same as before, awesome.