What am I doing wrong?

ILTTG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took out the 08 to the strip today, and I can't seem to get a proper launch. Specifically, here's what happens:

I'll rev up to say 3k rpm, then I'll release the clutch at a pretty fast rate, as evenly as I can. When my foot is coming up, though, the shifter starts to move left and right and the car feels like it lurches. The rear end moves left and right a bit while this is happening. I even tried dumping at about 5000 rpm to just break the tires loose, and I still got traction, with the shifter doing the same left-right dance and the car moving forward, the tires spinning crazily.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong with the clutch or something, can someone fill me in? I used to have the same problem in the 04. Something about my launches is wrong, and I'm afraid of fragging the half-shaft if I continue like this.

Appreciate the help.

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have spin at 3000 then why did you try 5000 rpm. Maybe I misread your post. These are hard cars to launch, too much gas and clutch release and the tires spin, too little and it will bog. 3000 sounds about right, but a slower clutch release sounds like it might help, just keep on the gas steady slowly depressing the gas so when you get traction you dont bog. I think you might be feeling wheel hop maybe, wheel hop is bad, it breaks things. I'm not sure if these rear ends are stronger than my last c6 vette.

OP
OP
I

ILTTG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have spin at 3000 then why did you try 5000 rpm.

I did 5000 rpm for my burnouts, not launching. I was still getting traction at that RPM, though. I think you might be correct in your assessment that it's wheelhop.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your shifter is bobbing around that much it could be your motor mounts. Might me time for some Woodhouse poly mounts and trans mount.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what the installation cost is but you can get prices for the mounts on the Woodhouse site. I think $250 but don't quote me. I installed mine myself 2 years ago and the wheel hope was minimized greatly. Shifter doesn't bob and the car felt stronger. Anyway, something to consider.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 3/4's are definitely a bit trickier to get a good launch from. I could easily make nice smooth street launches with my 2002 and 2001, yet my 2005 and new 2008 seem to give me more of a challenge. Practice, practice , and more practice:drive:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did 5000 rpm for my burnouts, not launching. I was still getting traction at that RPM, though. I think you might be correct in your assessment that it's wheelhop.

You were still getting traction at 5k rpm? :omg: I think you need more power.....:D

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used 2200 RPM and a slow clutch release. Remember to pre-load your gears (while in 1st, start pulling down hard for 2nd as you accelerate in first, come the shift pt, just pounce the clutch pedal to change gear (BAM ur in 2nd) - do for all gears)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang