WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THIS ZO6 TRADE FOR MY VIPER...

RED 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 viper with 9k miles and many mods hre wheels. I am wanting to get $50k out of it. There is a guy wanting to trade my a 2001 Z06 with 13k miles. Says he has over $100,000 in this car. Here is a little bit about it. This SCREAMIMG Z06 has over $100,000.00 invested in it. Z06 Carroll Stage VI 700HP. Check out Carrollsupercharging.com and drool over the stage VI system. This has the optional stealth steel reserve tank for the gasseous intercooler. This car currently runs 12 PSI and kicks the rear end of everything on the road. This supercharger was professionally installed and the engine work was done by Paul Snell at Snell Custom Racing. The engine is a stroked 372 racing engine with billeted crank, forged pistons, and dual disc clutch. There is way too much to list here. I use it as a daily driver and enjoy every minute of it. Uses regular gasoline, and the intercooler uses Methanol and water mix. This car has never been wrecked or raced. He wants to trade even would I be able to get 50K out of this. or if anyone is interested in it let me know thanks..

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like one bad A$$ Z06, but remember A vet is still a vet and a Viper might be worth alot of $$$ later down the road.I have a few friends with C5s and Z06's they always talk about one day buying or trading up for a Viper.What ever you do have fun and think about the whole trade before you regret it later down the road.

OP
OP
R

RED 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reason I want to sell my gts is I want to get a newer rt/10. I thought this car would be fun for a little while if I could ge my money back out of it. But sounds like its just not worth it. thanks

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealers are discounting 2003 Z06's... you can get them for $46-47k no problem.

So, how much is a 2-year old Z06 worth? I would guess low-mid 30's (and I think this is confirmed by what I've seen on eBay).

So how much more is the modifications worth? Are they worth $20k? I doubt it. You'll have a hard time selling the car if/when you do.

I was looking at a 96 Corvette with a supercharged rocket block motor. A stock one would sell for maybe $20k. This one the guy was asking $35k, and he ended up selling it for about $24k. He said he had receipts for $30k of work, and I'm sure he did, but he got about $4k more for the car... and it was low low miles and super-clean, so maybe only a $2k premium in reality.

Get it if you want a super fast car... but I would not think you'd get your $50k out of it later.

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The ZO6 you're speaking of was for sale on E-Bay about a year or so ago. I want to say it sold for just a tad over $50,000. Can't be for sure about the amount, but I definitely remember it seemed rather cheap, especially for having over $100,000 invested (as claimed in the ad). Alot of ZO6s are having problems with high boost. Maybe this is one of them. I'd keep the Viper.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could very possibly work a trade on your GTS for a RT/10. The Vette might be fun to play with for a few months but if something doesn't go just right and you junk the motor you could end up in the hole real quick. If I did not want to keep the Vette I would have to think twice before I traded for it. Good luck. ta

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don"t do it! The 01 zo6's have a noted ring problem, some use 2-3 qts in 200-300 miles...there is a recall on this....gm will only replace the rings. Also there is a piston slap issue and recall...and a tranny issue, recall....OH and by the way ...do you know that you can engage reverse while shifting into 5th? I know because my 00 conv. is now in attorneys hands sueing gm.
This is funny, I am in the process of buying a red/silver gts. And dumping my 00 vette.
supergrin.gif

If you want to go FAST...mod your VIPER with a supercharger.nos,turbo,etc!!!

Dave

Jack

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The point nobody has brought up - he's willing to trade his Z06, which he'll lose about $50K on, straight up for a Viper. What does that tell you?

Jack Janney
97 RT-10

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also a vette owner. DON'T DO IT!!

Why would a guy that has spent $100,000 on his car want to get rid of it?

Besides, when i drive the vette i am always racing people, when i drive the Viper i don't. The car itself makes a statement.
The cars are in different classes.

Good luck whatever you decide.
smile.gif

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As great as the Z06 is I say don't do it, now if it were a lingenfelter car they seem to really hold/increase the value of the vettes. 01's do have ring problems and that why they seem to be good canditates for modifying, rings have probably been replaced.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Same rule of thumb that applies to Ricers applies to Vettes as well - $100k of mods = $100.00 increase in value. The only mod that actually increases worth for me (though not by much) is a Package INSTALLED by Lingenfelter. Hennesay used to hold this for me and DLM is quickly gaining much of my respect, but 99% of all other mods scream abuse to me.

Keep the GTS or sell it outright, but don't halfazz it...

Just my .02

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am pretty sure this vette was for sale on ebay a while ago. www.bigmantoys.com had this exact vette for sale. I can't imagine there being too many vettes with this exact setup. It was on ebay and it "sold" for around $52k. Maybe the buyer backed out or something and he is still trying to sell it...I don't know. Or maybe the new buyer already wants to get rid of it....kinda makes you wonder.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no official recalls on 01 Z06's that I know of, although GM is replacing piston rings for some problem cars.

Our 99 GTS has had more problems then our 01 Z06 (replaced differential at 500 miles, worn out clutch at 12,000, driver's and passenger's windows both needed new motors and guides, and loose bolts on rear anti roll bars) And, it does have some official recalls, like welding braces in for the steering rack mount.

So, in my experience, the Z06 will be easier to own then the Viper, althoug I still like the Viper better.

Jim

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mopar Steve:
Sounds good. Maybe you'll even get to go to the corvette owners invitational.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laughing2[1].gif

robiferretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a Vette, and if it was a different tuner car then i would say go for it a vette is a better daily driver...

But, my friend has a carroll car, and they are PIG'S he tried to get rid of it, it is a very over rated setup and i dont think its worth trading for a modified viper doesn't dyno or run any of the times claimed by the company...

All in all its up to you, I say switch cars for 2 weeks and see where you wanna go from there...

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont do it. Caroll is not that good of a company. They couldnt pay their vendors (A buddy of mine supplied their gauge pods) and sent him a hard-luck letter instead....now we know about our vendor problems....it was pathetic.

I had a head/cam/nitrous vette and was looking to S/C a C5 4 years ago. These guys called...and sent me info, but after extended research I found there were too many that were setup bad. They are NOT Lingenfelter!

STAY AWAY.