What does it take to own a Viper?

Melting Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does it take to buy and own a Viper? I'm still in High School (on summer vacation) and I would someday like to own a Viper. I was wondering from actual Viper owners what it takes to own a Viper.

Thanks.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little ingenuity, a lot of commitment, and sometimes a little luck. Good luck and I hope you achieve what you strive for.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know where you live, but contact some Viper Owners in your area, and go to some Car Shows and talk to Viper Owners. Most of us will talk your leg off.
Later,

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
melting metal
i got my viper when i was still in high school (just graduated) and its not too hard too own one. However, it takes a great commitment to keepin the car clean etc.. otherwise the snake aint happy. all you have to do is keep a level head and be grateful for and appreciate what you have. the rest should fall into place

mahesh ramanadham
2001 sapphire rt/10

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get Motor602 parents to adopt you. OUCH
supergrin.gif

Actually Melting Metal it takes what most things take and that is money. The more education, usually the more money you will make. So don't waste all your time over the summer. Make sure you earn some money, read some classic books and plan for the career you would like to go into.

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll share some of the ways that people i know have been able to buy Vipers, in no order of importance.
Education (i.e. profession)
Marriage-marry rich-forget love
Divorce-on a rare occasion it's a blessing
Lawsuit-usually a big one
Successful business ownership
Inheritance

Those are a few that i know. Once you get the Viper, you need a lot of patience, because you really cannot leave this car unattended.

Good luck

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fantastic question.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Jerry Dobson on 06-22-2002 at 12:06 PM</font>

OP
OP
M

Melting Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by Vipermad:
Metal...you can hang here as long as you like!

Vipermad, I have been at this message board for a while (I never registered until now).

Thanks to all who replied, I've always loved the Viper and I thought why not ask REAL Viper owners what it would take. I would love to have one most likly after High School, not for speed or attention like some people I know are saying, but because I've always liked Vipers want to have one.

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an internship in the field of your choice. Graduating with a degree, in combination with field experience is your quickest route to owning a Viper.

It's all about priorities. You want some CD's and DVD's now? Or do you want a Viper in a few years? Start saving, investing, and learning. It's possible. I'm 24 Yrs. Old.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
MELTING METAL- All it really takes is a good head on your sholders. If you have that, and you work hard, your golden. If you willing to take a few chances, or go out on a limb in spite of what other people tell you "will never work", then your chances are increased exponentially. Someone else here said it best in their signature, "you dont have to be Rich to own a Viper, just Smart".

I own a 2002 Final Edition GTS, and I am 18 years old. I took a few chances, and they paid off, BIG TIME. To tell you the truth, what I do started almost unintentionally, but when the $$$ started flowing in, I Figured "why mess with a good thing". I Am 100% responsable for paying for my car, insurance, gas, etc. I have not recieved any handouts whatsoever. I only excepted a small "starting sum" that got me on my way, but that has long since been paid back. (it was 7,500$, nothing HUGE or anything) My point is simply this: If you want something bad enough, you WILL find a way to make it happen. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Final GTS:
I only excepted a small "starting sum" that got me on my way, but that has long since been paid back. (it was 7,500$, nothing HUGE or anything)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my that statement alone says a lot.
eek.gif

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
MichaelP- If you read the next sentance, it was paid back... like 4 days after I borrowed it. I only needed it because the opportunity to make my investment came about a week to early. Please dont be so criticle of small things...or did you mean something else by it that I didnt get? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...please explain.

Dream Machine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kungfool:
Hey baby... you're a chick right?

Got nice feet???... Lets hook up!!!
laugh.gif

Cheers
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't you like to know?
wink.gif

Being fairly new around here...that seems to be off topic and I wouldn't want to hijack this thread.
angel.gif

laugh.gif

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dream Machine said:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

quote:

Originally posted by kungfool:
Hey baby... you're a chick right?

Got nice feet???... Lets hook up!!!

Cheers

Wouldn't you like to know?

Being fairly new around here...that seems to be off topic and I wouldn't want to hijack this thread.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhhhh..... Where did all of this come from?

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YellowSnake:
Get an internship in the field of your choice. Graduating with a degree, in combination with field experience is your quickest route to owning a Viper.

It's all about priorities. You want some CD's and DVD's now? Or do you want a Viper in a few years? Start saving, investing, and learning. It's possible. I'm 24 Yrs. Old.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the best answer I have seen so far. Just be patient. Prices for older Vipers continue to fall (approaching the low 30K range) so you will be able to pick up a fine car in a few years for a great price.

Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing that he was pointing out how $7,500 is not a lot
of money to someone at the age of 18, that does say something in itself.

At least I think thats Michael meant.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Final GTS:
MichaelP- If you read the next sentance, it was paid back... like 4 days after I borrowed it. I only needed it because the opportunity to make my investment came about a week to early. Please dont be so criticle of small things...or did you mean something else by it that I didnt get? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...please explain.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If thats what he meant, then that is fully understandable. The way I read it though, it seemed as though he was being critical of me excepting the "Starting Sum" in the first place, even though I stated it was paid back VERY quickly. I guess I may be ahead of my years financially, so I can see where that would come in. I have always had expensive hobbies I have had to fund, so to me, 7500 may be quite a bit of money, but not too difficult to attain in a short period of time.

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, metal:

if you are SERIOUS about wanting a viper, *cough *cough - the navy program i am in allows me to go to college, getting paid full active duty pay, plus benefits and other stuff - that is how i plan to buy mine in a few months. I drive a 2000 Lightning now..........LET ME KNOW
smile.gif

I will gross around 33k this year - with about 15 more next year!

Bill

oh yeah, i am 18 too and fully support myself.

OP
OP
M

Melting Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have a few years of High School left, I hope to get a job soon and start saving up for a rainy day. When I get out of School I hope to play Hockey here at the University.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Metalman,

You have the desire to own one, which we all had at one point, now put the action into play, whatever path that might be, as ours are all different.

With the booze days coming up, have fun, go light on the sauce, avoid drugs, and your 10 steps ahead of the game already!

you will own a Viper one day, which can be a comforting thought in itself when you have the cajones to make it happen, go nuts,(no pun intended),andlet us know how it goes!

best of luck,

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Melting Metal:
I hope to get a job soon and start saving up for a rainy day. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be overly concerned about saving money. Instead be wise with the little money you do get to save. With a little smarts and patience you can be driving in style in no time. Its totally possible to make $10/hr and buy a Viper (I'm getting ready to do it myself) you just have to be willing to sacrifice and (more importantly IMO) you need to be willing to take a risk or two.

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a guy who just bought a '02 Z06 at 21 with zero help from parents, going to college full time and working full time.

He did it by having a (gasp) $20,000 downpayment (I've yet to amass a mere $5000 at any one time). With that the payments on a viper are only (only
smile.gif
) $1000/mo or so (his corvette only costs him $450/mo - less than my SS camaro cost me).

He also did it by building equity and saving. He only makes $9/hour.

Oh, he lives at home with his parents, a savings of $1000-$1500 per month to a working stiff like myself (I wish I did - I'd be able to afford a Lambo...)