What else should I do.

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I have taken my heads off to install new gaskets is there anything that I can or should do while they are off?

I am only changing them out because a few people suggested it due to the possibility of a leak with the old gaskets.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You didn't have to take off your heads to do the gaskets, that only applies to the Gen I cars, but hey if your enjoying it, cool. :2tu:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the Wizard's theory. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Swapping head gaskets as a preventative measure = WOW!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I have taken my heads off to install new gaskets is there anything that I can or should do while they are off?

I am only changing them out because a few people suggested it due to the possibility of a leak with the old gaskets.

You could port match the intake and heads to each other using your gaskets as a guide.

Anyone ever have their heads (heads and intake I guess) milled?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the Wizard's theory. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Swapping head gaskets as a preventative measure = WOW!

Agreed. The last thing I wanna do is open a perfectly good Viper motor just to swap a gasket.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't want information from many with many years of experience, don't ask for it.

Unbelievable isn't it? This board is the best resource for just this sort of thing but after receiving the info he choses to listen to his buddy. Maybe his buddy has owned Vipers for 14 years.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok , have you had the recall done? How about the skip shift? Maybe do the gear oil upgrade to help with NGR, what about exhaust , brakes, wheels, rear gear, new rubber, shifter, MGW knob, smooth tubes , K&N ??????????

THere are a million things that you should and could do. Give these guys a call , they are not too far from you:

http://www.americanracingtech.com/

OP
OP
S

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell me about the brakes...Big difference I have heard.
Also a buddy of mine says that it really helps to not lock out your brakes. Mine of course has no ABS, Is it true that it is harder to lock them out?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
syclone,
Read this thread completely; it will tell you all you want to know about the 40mm brakes. Except where to order. Send Tom an Email: [email protected] -- He will set you up.

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=557485&Forum=UBB14&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=3&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=557485&Search=true#Post557485

In case you miss it in the posting above, I like to describe the car stopping as "squatting", NOT "nose diving". You can feel the rear brakes pulling from the rear.

Later, A MUST :2tu: :2tu:

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I have taken my heads off to install new gaskets
I am REALLY confused because you then say this:
OK, OK....no head gaskets!!!
I talked to my mechanic this morning before he pulled the heads.

1st you say that YOU pulled the heads then you say that you stopped your mechanic BEFORE he pulled them! Could somebody explain this to me please?