what helmet for drag racing?

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I have been bitten by the drag racing bug..I think it's time to get a helmet. My local track is 1000' and is not NHRA sanctioned. They require a helmet(sometimes as it depends on who is working the track that day) for any car that runs under 11.5 in the 1000' which our wonderful cars easily do;) But at some point I do plan on driving to memphis to get some real 1/4 mile action in and would like to be legal there as well. What certification does the helmet need to be is my question? Dot? Snell? And at what level? Thanks for any help and I hope everyone has a great 4th!!

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any helmet with a snell rating of 95 is good, but you should consider a helmet made of the newer lighter Kevlar materials.....It is your head you are trying to protect and I think it is always the best policy to have the very best in safety equipment! Accidents DO HAPPEN!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Althought a Snell 95 will work, the latest and greatest certification is the Snell 2000 rating. Be aware that you want an "SA2000" rather than an "M" rating as the SA is for auto racing and includes some additional fire retardent materials and is made for a different "type" of impact protection.

Helmetcity.com offers a 10% discount for VCA members ... so make sure to tell them your with the VCA. Least expensive vented helmets are the Bell Sport II and M2 (M2 has wider eye port). With discount? about $275.

If you're interested in "looking the part", also check out racerwholesale.com as they have some inexpensive drivers suits as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala