What is involved when you "nut & bolt" a viper before tracking it?

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is involved when you \"nut & bolt\" a viper before tracking it?

I plan to track my '02 GTS soon. What things with the viper should I check out before going? Thanks.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What is involved when you \"nut & bolt\" a viper before tracking it?

Weren't you the guy who was afraid to park his car outside on the street? :)
Change the brake pads, change the brake fluid, make sure the power steering cap is tight. Go have fun. :)

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Along with checking the "nuts and bolts", I would change the oil and brake fluid before and after track session. Check and recheck the power steering cap, fires have been started from a loosened cap. I think bringing a torque wrench to check the lug nuts (90 ft-lbs.) in between sessions is very important. Bring an air pressure gauge too and check the tires. You may need to bleed off any excess pressure as your tires run hotter. If you have the stock battery (Mopar), there's a possibility that the acid may start puking and run down the lower frame. I would just wrap a 'sock' over it for now until it's time for a new battery, then you can consider an Optima or some other sealed type, I run an AC Delco Grp 75. Check your brake pads. A lot of guys go with Brakeman 3s. If you're concerned about road debris getting kicked-up, then get a front bra and tape the headlights.

Hope this helps.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Frank Parise posted a very comprehensive list of the things he does with his race car before each event. Probably unnecessary for you right now, but since you asked... this will give the far end of the "nut and bolt" spectrum.

I agree though with what the others have posted. Spend the money to put good brake fluid in and make sure the lines are bled. Your stock pads will not last long at the track either...

Rich

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Regarding wheel lug nut torque:

make sure the wheels have cooled considerably prior to a re-torque. Tightening the lug nuts when the car is right off of the track could stretch the studs. Or so I have been told.

Use Brakeman 3s, and be prepared for LOTS of brake dust!

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Good point George about allowing sufficient cooling down before re-torqueing the lug nuts. Makes sense as metalurgy changes (expands/softens) with change in temperature. Wasn't aware before, but I do now. Thanks!
:2tu:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One thing to not forget... do NOT use the EMERGENCY BRAKE once you park the car after a track session... park the car in gear but do NOT pull the brake! If you do, those toasty rotors will bind nicely to your brake pads and they will cause a very nice warp.

other than that, have FUN!!!

JD

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad I could help.

Concur on emergency brake use.

Also, and vital!! Following track session, change from long sleeve shirt or racing suit to "wife ****** T" ASAP for physical cool-down ops. The more ghetto the wife ******, the better you'll cool down.

Yeah, I know...I should post that on the "performance upgrades" section.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth