What is latest thinking on IPOD??

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 09 and best I can tell it is the first Viper I have had in awhile that just plays a single disc. To me Nav on a Viper is like t$ts on a bull and I would rather have the multi disc changer.

I have followed threads about IPOD adaptore but also saw Mark's (Woodhouse) admonition that fooling around with IPODs could cause gremlins.

Is there a way to include an IPOD without risking issues?

PS I love the car, but it is beyond me why it would not already have an adaptor. My cheap F150 at least has an IPOD plug in.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just get the NAV unit and attached the IPOD adapter. Many have done the same on this board. The Nav screen is tiny and frankly its nearly useless as a navigation device. The IPOD works seamlessly and you can leave it plugged in without fear of draining your battery.

The 'navigation' of the IPOD's feautures like playlist, song shuffle, is not the friendliest thing in the work but it works.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the iPod adapter hooked up to my RB1...have had no problems. However, newer iPods will not charge with the adapter - so this can be a pain on long trips (make sure the battery is charged before putting it into the car). I've heard of issues on Gen 4s, but I haven't had any problems in my Gen 3...FWIW.

kickinasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do NOT use the IPOD adapter on Gen IV's. Chrysler has tested it and it does cause issues that will not be covered under warranty.

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they never sound as good as a direct link--about 60-70% the sound quality

just get an aftermarket head unit---cheaper than a rb1 and better quality--jvc makes some nice stuff now with small video screens

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tried 3 different FM adapters for the iPod and found the iTrip to be my favored one, for sound and functionality. There is a newer iTrip model now that auto-scans for good frequencies which I have not tried, but would if I were to get another one.

Get one that plugs into the bottom of the iPod / iPhone, that is in turn plugged into a charger. That way, even if you do not plug it into a charger, the iPod will itself power the FM transmitter. This is good so that when you leave your house in the morning, you carry the iPod with you to your car of the day, you don't bother plugging it in for short drives to work, just charge it at home or at work. Plus, you could carry it to your home stereo and play your iPod through it - but if you bought one that requires the FM transmitter to be plugged in to work, you would have less flexibility like this.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they never sound as good as a direct link--about 60-70% the sound quality

just get an aftermarket head unit---cheaper than a rb1 and better quality--jvc makes some nice stuff now with small video screens

I have to agree... If you ever owned a car with "true" Ipod integration.. You'll throw the FM trans. in the garbage..... Rental car, ok maybe.... But anything other than that, forget it..

In my 06', I had the Ipod kit along with the RB1, and have Ipod kit in my AMG Merc. D.D. as well.. Both work flawlessly. And my Nav. unit WAS a take out, from an 08' Viper... No issues at all.. In fact, the best change I made to the car...

Very few car manuf. offer a "true" Ipod integration kit.. Take advantage of 03-09(RB1 equipt.) Vipers being one of those vehicles..

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used the I-Trip and did not like it at all. It drained the battery rapidly, and the sound quality was not so good. I have tried other makes of fm adapters as well with similar results. My advice is hardwire either using an adapter that allows full control utilization, or the 1/8 phone plug to go direct to an aux jack and use the I pod itself for the controls. Just to make it clear though, using anything other than an adapter that allows complete interface is about as dangerous as texting and driving. It can bite even a very experienced driver in any car, let alone a Viper, which demands your full attention. These have been my experiences FWIW.
Regards, Rich.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
100% on that. The FM transmitters are terrible. I bought the top reviewed one on CNET and it still sounded like hell. Get the POLK or similar speaker upgrade and the IPOD adapter for the NAV and you'll be happy.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate the FM modulated ones, however, I'm out $500 due to buying/installing the ipod adapter, only to have it screw up all the electrical in the car. So, my reco is to not do this, and you'd be hard pressed getting a dealer to warranty anything with it in (there's a Dodge bulletin saying to NOT install these in 08 vipers, any radio). As always YMMV, many work (and mine did for a few months), but now I'm out $$.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 08 Coupe and the Wizard himself tried several times to install an Ipod to my RB1. He was beside himself. Lucky for me it was Chuck who did the attempt. He said that after installing the Ipod adapter and harness from Dodge he tried to start the car and the dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree and most electronics would not work. He spent alot of time and effort to get everything cleared. For reasons unknown, there ARE some 08 owners that have been able to hard wire the Ipod into the RB1 using the Dodge kit.

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. My conclusion is that everyone in the know from Mark at Woodhouse, the Wizard and my own Viper tech say you have to be a thrillseeker to put a wired adaptor in an 09, so I am taking a conservative route.

I just stopped by Best Buy and got a BelkinTunebase ($89) and predictably it plays ok but not great sound. Given the sound of the motor and my level of hearing (played drums in a band 5 years full time before Law school) it ain't worth getting upset about.

Why the hell couldn't Dodge at least have put a hole in the stereo (aux) to plug in an IPOD?? Instead I have a fairly worthless Nav system and no multi CD. The IPOD/big screen built in adaptor on my much cheaper (yet almost as fast) 09 Caddy CTS-V is wonderful.

Thanks again

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am just curious how dodge screwed up to where hooking a iPod cable to the RB1 would screw up the internal electronics? That is just weird. The stereo system should have nothing to do with the other electronics of the car so I just wonder what/how they crossed and why? It should not be complicated to be able to hook up a dang iPod cable to a unit, no matter what kind/make it is. It should DEFINITELY not cause other issues.

I have a iPod hookup with my aftermarket Kenwood NAV and I could not be happier. I will never go back to CD's or use anything that uses the FM transmitter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang