What is the average cost to replace a window regulator on a 1996 GTS?

VIPERIZED1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received a quote of $1,150 from a local Dodge dealership for the replacement of a window regulator for the driver side window of my 1996 GTS, which seems to be excessive. The window motor is fine. What is the average cost to replace a window regulator for a 1996 GTS? I am very reluctant to seek out a nondealership mechanic for obvious reasons, but would an ASE certified mechanic be capable of replacing the window regulator? If so, what would be the expected cost for them to do the job? I have read posts on this forum where some owners were able to complete this job themselves.

KyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am surprised that you have a Dodge Dealer that is willing to work on your Viper.
In my area (at least six Dealers within 20 miles) I have only found one willing to work on mine and the one that would will only provide labor and I have to supply all parts needed.
I ended up doing all of my own work. I used the money that I would have paid in labor and bought all tooling and service manuals needed.
Sounds like you are not in a situation where this will work for you.
The Gen 2 Viper is not a complex vehicle. I think that any good Auto shop in your area could fix your window problem.
You may want to purchase the applicable service manual to provide to the shop.
Parts should also be available, give JonB (Viper Parts Rack) a call.
Ky

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you check out the other forums there is a thread that details step by step how to replace a window regulator. I tried to link it but got deleted.

OP
OP
V

VIPERIZED1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find a local auto glass shop, they may be half the cost.
I went to Safelite and they do offer window regulator replacement. The problem is that the window regulator (part # 4763283) has been discontinued. Any advice on where I can purchase this part?

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bit late for you, but... I got mine done by window motor world out of Florida. I sent them mine and they rebuilt it for about $170 and did it in one day. I believe they have a lifetime warrenty. It looks like they only have their service for Gen1 and Gen2. I just did a google search for how to do it and went by the videos I found. It was fairly easy and I discovered I didn't have to do nearly as much disassembly as the videos showed.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bit late for you, but... I got mine done by window motor world out of Florida. I sent them mine and they rebuilt it for about $170 and did it in one day. I believe they have a lifetime warrenty. It looks like they only have their service for Gen1 and Gen2. I just did a google search for how to do it and went by the videos I found. It was fairly easy and I discovered I didn't have to do nearly as much disassembly as the videos showed.
I'd love to see a video. Where did you find it?

I saw the rebuild shop in Fl too but I'm hesitant to start the project before I study the procedure.

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you google Gen2 window regulator change, several links pop up. I will say one thing I did different is I did not remove the window, I just took the regulator out from under it and GENTLY lowered it to the bottom of the door once the regulator was out.

OP
OP
V

VIPERIZED1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent my window regulator to www.powerwindowrepair.com in Arizona and they rebuilt and fortified it with metal parts in one day for $175. They can be reached at 1-888-546-5615. I then had a local window tint company install it for only $80. My local dealership was charging over $1,500 for a new regulator and install.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent my window regulator to www.powerwindowrepair.com in Arizona and they rebuilt and fortified it with metal parts in one day for $175. They can be reached at 1-888-546-5615. I then had a local window tint company install it for only $80. My local dealership was charging over $1,500 for a new regulator and install.
i wish i could find something like that around here. No small shop would do that due to the liability.

OP
OP
V

VIPERIZED1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wish i could find something like that around here. No small shop would do that due to the liability.
Safelite also installs window regulators as part of its services, although they did not provide me with a fee quote.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I talked to Safelite they can replace the regulator if they can get the new part. If it has to be sent out to be remanned they have no way of storing the car until it comes back.

OP
OP
V

VIPERIZED1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I talked to Safelite they can replace the regulator if they can get the new part. If it has to be sent out to be remanned they have no way of storing the car until it comes back.
The next best step is to hire an ASE mobile mechanic to come to your house to remove the regulator which you will then send out to be remanufactured. www.powerwindowrepair.com completed my upgrade in a day. Once you receive it back, then you can either have the mobile mechanic install it at your house or drive to Safelite to have them install it.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think we have "mobile" mechanics here. I've never heard of it. If I knew that I would have used them a long time ago.

OP
OP
V

VIPERIZED1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think we have "mobile" mechanics here. I've never heard of it. If I knew that I would have used them a long time ago.
There are mobile mechanics everywhere. Just Google "Mobile mechanics" in your city and you will find at least one or more.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did find some but they only do simple things like oil change, tires and battery.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you google Gen2 window regulator change, several links pop up. I will say one thing I did different is I did not remove the window, I just took the regulator out from under it and GENTLY lowered it to the bottom of the door once the regulator was out.
I've got my door taken apart but can't get the window out since it's stuck at the top. So I've detached the regulator but how do I disconnect it from the rails? If I can just take out the regulator I won't have to remove the window. My regulator is burned out.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sell both the regulator and Service Manual which is a step by step to remove and replace. Message me if you need either.

fatimatavery94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does seem a bit excessive, especially for a 1996 GTS. Have you considered looking into an ASE certified mechanic to do the job? They would definitely be capable of replacing the window regulator and could potentially do it at a lower cost than the dealership. I recently had some work done on my own car and found a great ASE certified mechanic who did an excellent job at a reasonable price. As for the expected cost, it really depends on your location and the mechanic you choose. But, it's definitely worth exploring your options before committing to the dealership's quote. Also, I recently got some amazing car shades from snapshades.com that have been a total game-changer for me. They keep my car cool and protected from the sun's harmful rays. Maybe you can check them out too!

Last edited: