What is the correct way to have your Viper towed?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So tomorrow morning I'm having my Viper towed by AAA. I am going to tell them ahead of time what kind of car(Viper) it is I need towed, and request someone who has towed low cars before such as a Viper, Corvette etc., So I want to make sure I'm well prepared in case they aren't.

What and where do you connect the chain too? Would AAA most likely have all the equipment needed or would I have to go out and buy something just in case?

What about boards? I'll probably go to Home Depot today and buy 2 of them. Should I just get two 2x12 6 feet boards? I'm not sure if that's too long or too short? Because I want them long enough so I won't scrape underneath, but not too long where the boards could bend or possibly break.. :dunno:

All help appreciated, thanks!
-Anthony

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only put mine on a carrier for photo ops, so I actually drove it up. I can't really help you on where to hook the cable.
As far as boards, there are some carriers you wouldn't even need to use them with, but chances are unless the company does a lot of exotic tows, they won't roll one of these out to you. A 6 ft 2X12 will be plenty, but most towers will already have these with them anyway, especially if they know what it is they're coming to pick up.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be a flatbed and a tow hook would be nice if you don't want any damage to the car.

Otherwise the only thing you can hope for is that damage is minimal, have seen several get towed and none of them have gotten away without some sort of damage if there is no tow hook

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Anthony. Though I am no expert on having our Vipers pulled up onto a flatbed (FORTUNATELY !!!)..I do have some suggestions that have served me well.

1. Trust no one...but be respectful in the process. Calmly register your worries, while being friendly and low key. I am embarrassed to see how some folks interact with the person sent to help. One tends to reap what one sows here.

2. I will not allow the driver to attach to a Viper by an A-arm. Ask in advance if the truck has a separate harness or "rigging" with the "R" hooks used on the frames of Chrysler products...most that I have seen do carry same. Some will want to use a large hook in a frame hole...and while I'm not fond of this, I have seen it work when the angle of the rollback bed is not too steep. If he insists on using an A-arm...make it connect to TWO...one on each side with the main cable connecting to the loop that you have just formed. In any case, wrap the chains or cable with towels and tape them in place with duct tape to avoid metal rubbing on "plastic". A couple of pieces of foam pad can also be placed between the padded cable and the spoiler just as the tension is take up on the cable...mind your fingers/hands!!

I carry "R" hooks and a heavy nylon rope or strap in each of our Vipers...thus, keeping their chain or cable OFF of the car's spoiler alltogether...and, I pad my rope/strap as well.

3. As mentioned, it is paramount that the flat bed brings 2 long boards and several short ones so that you can minimize the angle of approach...often time
Actively shifting them as the Viper starts upward.

4. Since I have seen more than one cable fail, I ALWAYS stay in the cockpit...ready to apply the brake in the event of said failure. You don't need a runaway Viper. If your driver does not allow this, or have a helper to fill in for you...ABORT !!

5. Be sure that the Viper is tied down front and rear...not just secured by the cable and in gear/E-brake engaged as some will try!! (Ever see a back-*** come off a truck?...how about a roller??..I have!!).

6. Follow the truck to the dealer...pay just as much attention on the unload...maybe more as gravity will be in play, and, at the end of the ride, guards can be down.

7. Take all the time to get this job done carefully...it will pay off.

I realize some of this is basic, and some points may seem excessive, if not "anal"...though I've been called a LOT worse!! :)

...but the Viper is YOUR Baby!!!

Hopefully, others with more experience and expertise will jump in here with additions/corrections.

REMEMBER: If you don't feel good about the deal, send the guy on his way empty!!

P.S. Anthony, you SURE that you don't want Martin to try "the trick" first??!!!

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my car was towed successfully this morning leaving my apartment around 8:15, so I should be receiving a phone call from both Mark who towed my car and Steve Heitz up in Belmont, NH. The guy Mark was very professional and did a great job. It was actually a bonus considering his appreciation for Vipers, let alone the fact he told me he had several model cars he built of Vipers at home. So I completely lucked out on the driver they sent me. :2tu: He also told me he has towed several Corvettes before, but I was his first Viper; however, before he worked for AAA he went with another driver to tow a Silver Viper in Revere, MA. I'm assuming that person could be on here whoever owns a Silver Viper in Revere?

Anyways, I took his number down and told him I will be requesting him next time if I ever need my car towed again. As a reference for the rest of you who are in the area, his number is 857-249-9715 and his name is Mark. :)

I have attached some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG00027-20100521-0802.jpg
    IMG00027-20100521-0802.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG00028-20100521-0802.jpg
    IMG00028-20100521-0802.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG00029-20100521-0803.jpg
    IMG00029-20100521-0803.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG00030-20100521-0804.jpg
    IMG00030-20100521-0804.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG00031-20100521-0804.jpg
    IMG00031-20100521-0804.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my car was towed successfully this morning leaving my apartment around 8:15, so I should be receiving a phone call from both Mark who towed my car and Steve Heitz up in Belmont, NH. The guy Mark was very professional and did a great job. It was actually a bonus considering his appreciation for Vipers, let alone the fact he told me he had several model cars he built of Vipers at home. So I completely lucked out on the driver they sent me. :2tu: He also told me he has towed several Corvettes before, but I was his first Viper; however, before he worked for AAA he went with another driver to tow a Silver Viper in Revere, MA. I'm assuming that person could be on here whoever owns a Silver Viper in Revere?

Anyways, I took his number down and told him I will be requesting him next time if I ever need my car towed again. As a reference for the rest of you who are in the area, his number is 857-249-9715 and his name is Mark. :)

I have attached some pictures.

I also wanted to thank my friend Martin for making this possible by allowing me to use his AAA membership, considering I'm waiting for my new upgraded membership card in the mail.

Goofy picture attached below...haha :lmao:

Attachments

• IMG00032-20100521-0804.jpg
    IMG00032-20100521-0804.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Heitz just called me and told me the car was delivered perfectly. He also told me the driver Mark was very professional and the car was flawless. No scratches on the car and the wheels were untouched as well. So it's a job well done by Mark from AAA. :clap:

Once again, if you are local and live in the Merrimack Valley area or pretty much anywhere in the northern part of MA and the bordering towns of NH, then definitely request this guy if you need your car towed. My AAA location is referred to Southern New England by the way.

Call:
Mark
857-249-9715

Last edited:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to see it was one of trucks I build that came to get you. :)

It's definitely not one of our low load angle trucks though. How many boards did he use to get you up there safely?

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to see it was one of trucks I build that came to get you. :)

It's definitely not one of our low load angle trucks though. How many boards did he use to get you up there safely?

He had two 2x6 boards that were about 3 feet long which he put on top of my two 2x6 boards that were about 8 feet long. I put my boards down on the ground first so that they lined up with the flatbed trailer while it was touching the ground. Then we used each of the other two smaller boards he had to put in the middle on top so that one side of the smaller board was on the trailer, and the other side was on top of my board.

I should have thought of taking a picture of the board setup beforehand.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happy to hear that it went well!!!

Please let us know what they find is the problem!!

Thanks Steve! Thanks for all your help before, it was greatly appreciated. I will definitely post back on my other thread once I know what has happened. Heitz said if he gets to my car today he will call me later on and let me know what the problem is. If not, he said he'll give me a call tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456