What is the deal with my fog lights!!!!!!!

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's it, I've decided that for some strange reason my car was just not meant to have fog lights that work!!!!!!!! This is the story, when I took delivery on my car in June, they worked just fine. About 2 months later, they both went out. I replaced the fuse, they worked for a while. Then, once again they both went out, I replaced the fuse again; they worked for a while. Then, yep, you guessed it, they went out again. So this time I took the car to the dealer. The Viper tech said it was a bad light unit on one side that was causing a short, they ordered a new one, and have since replaced it. Well guess what wasn't working last night??? my fog lights!!! What is going on??? Any ideas?? help!!!!
You must be registered for see images

Thanks,
Laura

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are likely spots in the system where a short can occur, like Jon B points out, but nothing is for sure in electrical system failures. Take it from someone who debugs these kind of problems every day, if you don't have the experience, time and patience to tackle this problem, it can be very frustrating. You have some options:

1) Take it back to the dealer and have them check the places mentioned in the previous posts and hope they get lucky and find the problem on one of those places mentioned.

2) Take it to a Viper tech with experience dealing with electrical problems.

3) Take it to an automotive electrical shop.

Good luck

OP
OP
V

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Jim, the rubber things are there. The wiring looks intact. Jon's idea of making believe I have an ACR doesn't work for me!! If I wanted an ACR, I would have paid more money for less!!!hehe! Can you tell me how come this mechanic was so sure it was the whole light assembly (which obviously it is not). How do I determine if it is just the switch. I hate to bring the car back in, if you know what I mean. The fewer hands on it, the better I feel.
Laura

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're bound and determined to do this yourself, the best way to do it is to get a hold of an induction type amp meter and the wiring schematic from the repair manual. Go over the wires near the light assembly and the wires near the switch to determine where the current is flowing. If not there, then go over the entire wiring in between.

I guess I should elaborate on a more logical flow of diagnosing this problem. We already know there is current flowing from the source (at the fuse). The next logical place to check is the power line at the switch. If there is current flowing in the lead coming out of the switch and going to the fog lamps when in the off position, then the switch is the answer. If not, check the path back to the fuse.

jim93rt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the stereo last month and the wires to the fog light switch were chafed through the insulation shorting the fuse. I taped the wires and fog lights are fine now.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too would suspect that the switch, or wiring leading to it is the culprit here. Of course, the headlight switch IS a Ford part!

OP
OP
V

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Matt,
How are you? Very, very hot picture of your car, nice. Is that switch really a Ford part? Oh my God, what next it's got Caravan parts, Ford parts...next you'll tell me something in it is from a Saturn. I'm going to go back to the dealer and let them TRY again. I'm not going to mess with it. Take care.
Laura

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laura I had a 96 GTS in a while back that kept blowing the fog light fuse and it turned out to be a chafed wire in the area of the drivers sidetoe box where the wiring harness comes out of the PDC and snakes around the master cylinder wheel well area.

OP
OP
V

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW Tony, you're something else!!! Can I hire you as my own personal moderator for my day to day life. I wouldn't have a thing to worry about!!! hehehe!!! Have a wonderful day!!!
Laura

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32