What is this site built on?

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are many times lately when I get "Service Temporarily Unavailable" messages when surfing through here. At the time, there would be less than 2 dozen folks on the board. Seems like a scalability problem to me...

So being the geek-type, I gotta ask- what kind of setup do you have? (machine, OS, network connection)

OP
OP
T

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony/Jay,
Yes, I am whining about the lost connections, but I am also quite curious- what are you using for a server? Pointing fingers at your ISP is always fun- we all do it. I still want to know "what is under the hood?"
Cheers!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under the hood is part of the problem..... We are always looking at ways to make things better (within our budget
You must be registered for see images
), and are currently in the process of buying a dedicated server, goal is 1 gig single cpu (option to go to dual cpu later) Raid 5, one 18 GIG, 10,000 rpm hard drive with option to go three, 256 MEG of RAM, and misc "stuff.

We are definatly taxing the forums hosting service. Due to the popularity of the Forums, it is hosted at a service provider that guarantees 99.9% uptime, the problem is that the forums are so popular that we exceed the CPU allotment for our server provider at peak times.... not bandwidth, not storage, but how hard/often we hit the cpu. When we hit that wall, you see the message you noted. Hence our plans to purchase a server to take some of the load off the forums server/hosting service.