Why did the Viper Club move to XenForo

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
XenForo has just been around for a short amount of time but on the sites that I have been on that use xenforo, I have been very impressed. So what's does XenForo have that has made us change platforms. A few of the big reasons are as follows:

For me, one of the biggest reasons... Fast, Light, and User-friendly

Modern and Professional Look
Social Engagement
Easy Add-ons/Styles installation
Easy Styling
SEO Friendly - Webmasters don't have to spend money on SEO Services
Great resources
Alerts

When the Viper Club of America wants to edit their forum style, add more css/html/php/javascript code, everything is in the Admin Control Panel, making management with XenForo a Dream, so, managing users, forum styles, add-ons, tools. permissions along with many other items made simple.

We understand that XenForo hasn't built in everything for every imaginable forum, however they do have a resource center where additional add-on's can be obtained, big plus!!!!

I've been Administrating vbulletin sites for 10 years. There were always area's that members were not happy with, one of those is attachments. I have found that with XenForo, this process is much cleaner and hope people use it now that all the hoops are gone that we had with vbulletin.

Two other additions I enjoy is the "Watched Forums" and Watched Threads".

I also like the way internal messages are done. (Better know as PM's). You can click on the Inbox button and see brief descriptions of your conversations.

The best thing for anyone to do is to just start clicking on things and get a lay of the land. You will probably find things that will surprise you. And don't hesitate to ask. I know I'm still learning so if I don't know the answer, there is a team of dedicated individuals that over the past few months have spent the time and energy to move everything we have to this new and exciting platform.

As the Legacy Viper Club and 22 years of Viper History, we want all Viper Owners to have access to the years of data, information and fun.

A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Viper Club ofAmerica 2018
Vj

Sample Attachment Add
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Im glad youre happy with it... it keeps crashing on me...
If you could do a screen shot of what your seeing and email it to me at [email protected] that would be great.

We knew with the conversion there might be a few things we need to address and I'm grateful you spoke up.

Thank You Sir

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Im sure its an issue with my IE9 now that the world
has seems to have abandoned it. Just got to figure out
the issue when... if, I can find some downtime...

You must be registered for see images attach

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Also, just curious on why my membership has "insufficent priveligaes"
to view the Grail Trail forum?

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Also, just curious on why my membership has "insufficent priveligaes"
to view the Grail Trail forum?
Let me see what I can figure out. I know it’s a permissions thing and maybe during the conversion something didn’t tie up right

Snakize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a fan of having to load 1/3 of the UI from 3rd party websites, or the google/FB tracking that comes along with such things. Maybe host all UI elements local on your server.

Shaggy

Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not a fan of having to load 1/3 of the UI from 3rd party websites, or the google/FB tracking that comes along with such things. Maybe host all UI elements local on your server.

What do you mean it 1/3 of the UI loads from third party? Everything you see on the forum is from the site. Maybe except what you said, a few buttons at the bottom of the page from Twitter and Facebook.

Snakize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything loading from these domains, which includes fonts, icons, CSS and such:

fonts.googleapis.com
googlesyndication.com
gstatic.com
bootstrapcdn.com
facebook.*
twitter.*

Also, no need to ***** out to social media ghettos. It only helps them and does nothing for your site.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I like the new look. Gives it a bit of a freshening up that's been missing for a while. Granted it will take a while to get used to the new layout and where everything is, but hopefully it brings with it some new advantages to make things easier to work with.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not a fan of the look. jeff you use a lot of "we and us" type of words. are you the vca now ? did you buy it ? congrats if so !

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
not a fan of the look. jeff you use a lot of "we and us" type of words. are you the vca now ? did you buy it ? congrats if so !
Plum, I realize that anything we go with will not work for everyone. No, I am no the VCA, the VCA is still alive and well and moving forward. Putting the forums on stable footing is just a small part of what will happen in 2018

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff I swear to you it's not a vca thing. I stopped going to another car related site cause of a similar look. It just annoyed me and loaded slow. But I know the vca doesn't care about my stupid opinion. It's all good

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Jeff I swear to you it's not a vca thing. I stopped going to another car related site cause of a similar look. It just annoyed me and loaded slow. But I know the vca doesn't care about my stupid opinion. It's all good

Plum, understood. Have a Merry Christmas

Shaggy

Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Is this site loading slow for you?

LadyCruzer

VCA Officer
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hi everybody ! It 's been a while since I 've been on. I haven't had any trouble with the new site so far. Looks to me like it was a good change! Merry Christmas everyone from the Central / North Florida chapter of the VCA !

MtyMous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Site loads slower for me and every time I click to go to the classifieds, it takes my back to the discussion forums... I'm the new guy here and I don't post much, but navigation issues, misdirects, and lag time make forum browsing tedious and just drive me elsewhere.

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Site loads slower for me and every time I click to go to the classifieds, it takes my back to the discussion forums... I'm the new guy here and I don't post much, but navigation issues, misdirects, and lag time make forum browsing tedious and just drive me elsewhere.

Sorry you missed the thread that discussed the Classifieds, here it is

http://www.viperclub.org/vca/threads/classifieds.674728/

Question, what browser and version are you using?

MtyMous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running the latest version of Firefox on a PC. This PC is my video rendering machine, so the hardware is pretty high end. It was about the same speed when I was running it on the last version of FF, too.

There seem to be a lot of applets and animations which aren't really necessary. For instance, posting a new message doesn't do a standard refresh. There's a fancy animation which slides and pops up the new post. Not an issue on my machine, but I can see how this would be less than smooth on an older machine or something that doesn't have higher power hardware.

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Running the latest version of Firefox on a PC. This PC is my video rendering machine, so the hardware is pretty high end. It was about the same speed when I was running it on the last version of FF, too.

There seem to be a lot of applets and animations which aren't really necessary. For instance, posting a new message doesn't do a standard refresh. There's a fancy animation which slides and pops up the new post. Not an issue on my machine, but I can see how this would be less than smooth on an older machine or something that doesn't have higher power hardware.
@Shaggy

Shaggy

Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It still works out well with older computers.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New set up seems OK, Whats bad is I am locked out of the Grail Trail, I guess that costs more to get.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see no issues with this new software on my desktop and google chrome. Looks like those that implemented it did an excellent job, and there will often be bugs to work through with a new application.