What is "upgraded" in the SRT?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is \"upgraded\" in the SRT?

First off - thanks to Tony and the board admins for creating this new area - you guys ROCK
smile.gif

Well, Dodge is intending to produce more per year (as far as I have heard) SRT's than they did Vipers in the past - certainly more SRT's than RT/10's. Seems to me that if they are charging the same price (or close) as before, and making more, and spending less on making the car (Cheaper panels, less production costs, etc), that the car may see general improvements in areas we haven't heard about yet.

So, besides the specs we have heard, what other things will be changed in the SRT? I've heard the brakes are "right" on the SRT - I'm curious what else was 'fixed'.

How about...

1) Stereo? I know most don't care, but I'd like a half-decent stereo in the new Viper
2) Gas light? It REALLY ***** guesstimating how much gas you have left - especially on a car that goes less than 200 miles between fillups.
3) Road-tracking. My GTS was the worst car I ever had for tracking the road. I suspect the SRT will too - but did they try to tame it a little - maybe through new tires or a slightly modified suspension setup?
4) Handling - you think the handling will be more progressive? Rather than the "stick..stick..stick...spinout" of the current Viper. I LOVE the handling on my BMW - so easy to toss around. I wish the Viper gave as much confidence.
5) Sidesill yellowing. Are they gonna fix this once and for all? I REALLY hope so.
6) Repair costs. With the new panels being smaller and more production-line friendly, I imagine the replacement costs will have to go down as well - no more $14,000 hoods and $4,000 sidesills.

What else do you think will be "fixed" or improved in the new car? Seems the interior isn't as nice as it could be... but I'm getting spoiled by BMW's interior at the moment.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What is \"upgraded\" in the SRT?

They have a new system that will vastly improve the fit and finish. The old system had all the frames coming in pre-drilled. This cause for slight variations, and that made assembling each Viper by hand a difficult job, due to all the re-adjusting that had to take place. The new system is cut right at the factory, with a new laser system that will virtually eliminate any variation.

There will be much more information once the Detroit Show is over, so stay tuned!

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great Steve! I was hoping they would change their manufacturing processes for the better.

As for the Detroit show - sounds fun. I'm seriously thinking about driving/flying out for it. Anyone know for sure if you can get tickets at the door - or if not, where I might be able to score some (preferably online)?

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
They have a new system that will vastly improve the fit and finish. The old system had all the frames coming in pre-drilled. This cause for slight variations, and that made assembling each Viper by hand a difficult job, due to all the re-adjusting that had to take place. The new system is cut right at the factory, with a new laser system that will virtually eliminate any variation.

There will be much more information once the Detroit Show is over, so stay tuned!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

================================================

Steve......I don't think too many people care about that. Nobody looks at a Gen II and comments on body panel fit. When a Gen II fills a persons eyeball, they don't scrutinize panel fit tolerances.

The Gen III looks like the Vette, and is going in the same direction; mass production with a tamed look.

It's like a Dodge Corvette with an extra 100 hp. Thats it man. I'm surprised they didn't make it easier to get in and out of too. Does it have cupholders?? I wouldn't be surprised.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve

I think he's right - People don't care about things like that. The car is not exciting - I think that's why they only had 1200 or so certificates spoken for after only 3 or 4 days! The car must be a looser!

By the way - This was meant to be sarcastic! I love the SRT-10 and I will own at least one of them! Hopefully one of the first off the line!

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not only is the SRT-10 a "loser", but once it goes on sale at less cost than the earlier editions, the old ones may become losers in the market. Makes me so mad I think I'll keep 'em both.
smile.gif

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good comments, Mark...

I don't particularly want to add anything to the Viper that does not add to the excitement or ownership experience. I dunno how many Vipers you have driven, but they all show slightly different on the gas guage when they run out of gas. Mine has almost run out while it looks like I still have 1/8th tank left, and other times it has dipped below the "E". Maybe people who drive their Vipers 1,000 miles a year only on Sundays when it's nice and clear don't care about such things, but to a guy like me who put about 10,000 miles a year on the car, I want a gas light!
smile.gif
. I drive rain or shine, cold or hot, clear or cloudy. I drive the Viper to work... to the store... to the mall.. everywhere. To me, it's a car - I love it, but there is no reason to make it less usable just so we can all think we have something special. I think a gas light is a good idea - so that I don't have to plan my schedule around fill-ups like I did with the 98 GTS.

I totally agree with you on the heater controls. I think it's stupid NOT to have them work the way you suggest - again, how does NOT having them mix hot/cold air make the car any more sporty? It hurts the usability too - they should have made it that way from day 1 - and I'm glad they're fixing it in the Gen3.

The stereo... well, to me, a big part of the owner experience is cruising listening to the stereo. The Viper stereo really *****.. if you're driving 70mph with the windows down, you can't turn it up to a level where you can hear it without it distorting. I wanna put on some 'Stones and blast the music while I drive - nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't make it any less of a sports car.

As for "most people can't master the existing power", etc... to be honest, I don't think many people are capable of pushing a Honda Accord to it's limits... where I *DO* notice things is the rush of power from a roll on. The massive torque that lets me start in 2nd gear - the fact that I don't have a lot of confidence in the brakes, etc. Just because the car is pretty potent now, doesn't mean Dodge should rest on their laurels. The 2002 Z06 is virtually as fast, handles as well, brakes a LOT better, and is a good $20k cheaper. Some may not like the Z06, but it's nipping at the Vipers heels. If I just wanted something that looked good but had no balls, I'd buy a Fiero and throw a Lambo bodykit on it, or I'd get a Porsche 356 or something. I want show AND go... the more go the better!

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's not about little technical things, like low fuel light....

it's about the way the car looks!!

It doesn't look exotic anymore. People will no longer be as thrilled with the sight of a Viper. They've seen too many Corvettes and S2000s.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Not only does it have a low-fuel chime, and low-air run-flat sensors/warnings on amazingly grippy new Michelins, but the BEST comfort upgrade of all has been added!

I mean what the Viper has been CRYIN out for since '92.
That
Is
A
blessed,
beloved,
thankGODfinally
Adjustable
, D E A D P E D A L !!!!

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon,

Are those new Michelin's runflats? I've heard yes and no... I forget where I heard it, but I know in the original design, they were runflats.

Seems that a pressure sensor system is only really required with runflats.

As for the deadpedal - very COOL... excellent for those of us who drive these cars alot.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, Run Flats from the rumors I hear. Sounds pretty mundane, right? Well think about what the tires need to be able to do to go *** mph
smile.gif

This is going to be one of those cars that completely blows peoples minds once they get behind the steering wheel.... Thnk about it, 500+ dependable stock HP, complete aero underpan that most racecars only dream about, a full convertible top that looks great when it is up and does NOT look like a "balloon" at speed.

Looks, OK, not the same as our current cars.... If that is folks only problem, give Autoform call, I bet they could make it look any way you want!

Only 1200 certificates in 4 days? This should impress... Remember, only VIPER Mag readers where really contacted. Be it as it may, they are all gone now..... I am getting regular emails now from owners who did not know of the program, and are eagerly going on the "certificate waiting list". I guess HQ can forward any "Jerry" Certificate(s?) to someone on the waiting list
smile.gif

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay

DON'T let Dodge do anything with my certificates!

You read my post the wrong way. I WIll be purchasing at least one of the SRT-10's. My point was if the car was so bad then how was Dodge able to put names with ALL of the certificates in about 2 weeks!

I love the car. I hope I am one of the first new owners to proudly drive this car down the street. It will also make a great addition to my Viper Pit.

Long Live the Viper!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang