What oil are you using in your FI Viper?

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title states, what brand and weight are you using in your SC or TT Viper?

I've always used M1 15-50 in all my FI cars, but I was wondering if others are using something different??? :dunno:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been using M1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel oil in everything for a while now. Neither of my Vipers are supercharged or turbo, but I have other cars that are - and they've got well over 100k miles on them, they've been driven hard, and not maintained as well as I maintain the Vipers. No engine wear problems at all, and turbo bearings have been perfect - which for me in the past has been an issue when I used conventional oil and didn't let things cool down properly after hard driving. Those bearings can coke up or gum up quick if you shut down before a good cool-down.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The supercharged ones, none - but they don't run anywhere near as hot as a turbo. The turbo engines need to be cooled down for a minute or so to give the turbos time to cool a bit. Those things can get red hot under load, and if you shut down too quick, all that heat just travels into the bearings and cooks the oil. The oil then turns to sludge and can clog up the oil return line - which will then starve the bearings next time you run it. With a synthetic like M1 Turbo Diesel oil (or Red Line), the oil doesn't sludge or coke up anywhere nearly as easy as a more conventional oil, so it's not so critical - but I do it anyhow...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
15/50 mobil one is what DLM told me to run and i do.

That's exactly what I just put in my Roe car last week, but I did get in on the Advance Auto's sale they had and got the 5-40 Diesel Synth. for the next oil change. Tom says it is the best oit out there(not mobile 1, but the Synth. diesel oil) and I will use it next time. :2tu::2tu:

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The supercharged ones, none - but they don't run anywhere near as hot as a turbo. The turbo engines need to be cooled down for a minute or so to give the turbos time to cool a bit. Those things can get red hot under load, and if you shut down too quick, all that heat just travels into the bearings and cooks the oil. The oil then turns to sludge and can clog up the oil return line - which will then starve the bearings next time you run it. With a synthetic like M1 Turbo Diesel oil (or Red Line), the oil doesn't sludge or coke up anywhere nearly as easy as a more conventional oil, so it's not so critical - but I do it anyhow...

Thanks Martin, I think I will still let my Paxton cool down a little before shutting her off. Just to be nice to her.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte