What other repairs would you recommend?

TampaViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 94RT with 25k miles. Never had the new head gaskets. No problems so far but I do not want to wait for them. Was thinking about having the gaskets changed, maybe by Macedo in Orlando. What other things would you have done at the same time. I am looking for reasonably affordable items that might improve performance or, more importantly, keep up her maintenance preemptively. What would you recommend? Thanks.

OP
OP
T

TampaViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The drive belt is a great idea. I changed all fluids and tires about 6k ago. When does the clutch usually need work on the gen I's. Anybody have any positives or negatives about Macedo's shop/ Should I just get this done with my Viper tech at my local Dodge dealer?

OP
OP
T

TampaViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have only been in there twice and can't remember his name at the moment, but it is at Jerry Ulm's Dodge on Dale Mabry Hwy.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Swap out the battery. Minimal Cost. Head Lamp bulbs....quick, cheap and easy. Air Filter replacement. Spark Plugs and Wires. Easy.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only been in there twice and can't remember his name at the moment, but it is at Jerry Ulm's Dodge on Dale Mabry Hwy.

His name is Mike. He might be ok, but a while back he misread a TSB and was using diff fluid in the tranny to overcome the tranny rattle that softies complained about.

Your 94 is probably out of warranty anyway. Go to Macedo.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you were thinking about a lower temp thermostat; during the gasket job would be a convenient time to install it (unless the Gen Is are totally different having the center-mounted alternator).

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't beat Macedomotorsports! Larry is the best! :2tu: :2tu:

On the clutch, it depends on how hard the car was driven. It might need a replacement at 10K or 40K miles. How hard was it driven? The way you can tell if it is getting ready to go is if the clutch engagement is on the higher side of the pedal travel and it will start to slip in 5th and 6th gear while giving it some throttle.

OP
OP
T

TampaViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good ideas. Because it is so hot in Florida, I have been thinking of putting a lower temp thermostat. I will have to do a search about a 998/999 recall to see if that applies. As for Mike at Ulms Dodge, he is the one who changed my fluids out, hmmmmm. I think I'll call Larry.

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would definitely replace the thermostat and gasket(s) as I had an issue with mine leaking *after* I had the head gaskets done under warranty.
Drive belt and battery are a good idea also.
Maybe have some head work done while they are off? Powdercoat intake and valve covers while it is apart also?

OP
OP
T

TampaViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
okay, novice question. what would powdercoating intake and valve covers set me back in dollars?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with a lower thermostat unless you are removing the intake for other reasons. Even then, a lower thermo won't do much. If you do remove the intake and have access to the thermo drill a small hole in it and get the top radiator hose with the release valve.

If you wanna cool it down put a bigger radiator in it.

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good ideas. Because it is so hot in Florida, I have been thinking of putting a lower temp thermostat. I will have to do a search about a 998/999 recall to see if that applies. As for Mike at Ulms Dodge, he is the one who changed my fluids out, hmmmmm. I think I'll call Larry.
You don't need those recalls on you '94. Only apply to '96 to '00 Vipers.

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does the intake have to be pulled off at the same time as the heads? How about extrude honing the intake and port matching the heads? I wouldn't go for a full porting job but a little work might be an idea since things are already off. Ask Macedo about that.