What should I do with these tires?

apeas2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ordered 4 new Super Sports for my stock 08 vert with 4800 miles. As it gets colder up here in MD, my 6 year old PS2'S are a little slippery. My PS2'S are oem and only have 4800 total miles on them. Are they worth anything? They stick in warm weather great, just don't want to spin out in the cool weather up here. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a guy posting here a while back.........................about how he was fine with his old hard tires.
Didn't have any issue or concern driving full-blast on them. Insisted that it was totally fine.
Thought that the rest of us were idiots for replacing tires that still had tread on them.

...............sell them to him.

:eater:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could try to sell them, just disclose their age. Chances are there is someone out their with bald/older tires. While they are not as good as a new set, they do have some value.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid question about tire age. I know the concerns of old tires but what would you justify as safe and unsafe? I bought mine 4 years ago and I only have about 1400 miles on them and they won't be getting used for probably another year. My car is a project car and I've had health issues along with multiple other setbacks. So i'm just wondering if my 6 year time frame will be a factor when I actually get back to driving it. Thanks!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unsafe on any car especially a high performance one as tires loose their inner lubricants and dry out over time. Outdoors the process is even quicker. Not worth taking the chance with 6 year old tires.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unsafe on any car especially a high performance one as tires loose their inner lubricants and dry out over time. Outdoors the process is even quicker. Not worth taking the chance with 6 year old tires.

You and I are idiots.
-because we share the same opinion on old tires.

........according to that other 'Viper guy' , tire age and degradation is irrelevant.
perfectly safe for aggressive driving, high speed highway, whatever.
no problem.

:crazy2:

OP
OP
A

apeas2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your interested in these tires that are 6 years old and have 4700 miles on them , shoot me an email to [email protected] with your offer. I have pics I can reply with as well. Thanks! Alan

GRANGER73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You menioned "stock" 08. If you plan on keeping the car stock and hope some day to sell or hold on to as a collector, I would keep the tires. Just properly bag them and stick them in your basement. At some point original tires may be the only think separaing your car from other that are available. Not a big deal to hang on to them. What do you have to lose?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You menioned "stock" 08. If you plan on keeping the car stock and hope some day to sell or hold on to as a collector, I would keep the tires. Just properly bag them and stick them in your basement. At some point original tires may be the only think separaing your car from other that are available. Not a big deal to hang on to them. What do you have to lose?

How many collectors are looking for a 65 spit window coupe or similar with original tires? That market segment would be tiny, tiny, tiny. A waste of garage space, IMHO.

GRANGER73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would pay a premium to add a 65 split window to my collection. I have a 63, but a 65 would be icing on the cake. Comparable cars; one equipped with OEM tires and one aftermatket. OEM tire car wins hands down.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would pay a premium to add a 65 split window to my collection. I have a 63, but a 65 would be icing on the cake. Comparable cars; one equipped with OEM tires and one aftermatket. OEM tire car wins hands down.
Yes, but which one would you drive. The one with aftermarket or the one with 50 year old tires? LOL ! ( I know. Two sets of wheels. One for the showroom and one for the go room.)

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone ask you if they have been plugged or any curb rash and/or tire damage ?? My $.02

OP
OP
A

apeas2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the rears has been patched by the previous owner, other than that they are perfect. If no ones makes me an offer in the next couple of weeks, they are going to the dump!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62