What should I expect for dyno #s

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2000 steel gray GTS,
~40k miles with a recent BG injector/intake cleaner service.
Mopar GTS-R wires (not expected as a power adding mod)
Smooth tubes / K&N filters
Cat-delete, new up stream O2 sensors, spark plug non-foulers in the down stream sensors, muffler delete, stock 2.5 pipes with only the resonators.

Put down a meek 404hp, 439trq at the wheels with low 80* air temps that day. It made 400/438 on the first run. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifuo0UMu-jU

Diko's car, also a 2000 steel gray RT/10 ~30k miles, put down 420ish hp on the second run right before my car with just smooth tubes, bone dead stock otherwise. I was really disappointed after seeing his numbers, I had expected to be close to 430.

I slightly feel that the 15w50 Mobil 1 oil I ran might have impacted the numbers, since Diko and others ran 5w30 Mobil 1. I am also looking into the possibility that removing the cats might have actually decreased my numbers instead of increasing them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 steel gray GTS,
Cat-delete, new up stream O2 sensors, spark plug non-foulers in the down stream sensors, muffler delete, stock 2.5 pipes with only the resonators.

Put down a meek 404hp, 439trq at the wheels with low 80* air temps that day. It made 400/438 on the first run. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifuo0UMu-jU

Diko's car, also a 2000 steel gray RT/10 ~30k miles, put down 420ish hp on the second run right before my car with just smooth tubes, bone dead stock otherwise. I was really disappointed after seeing his numbers, I had expected to be close to 430.

I slightly feel that the 15w50 Mobil 1 oil I ran might have impacted the numbers, since Diko and others ran 5w30 Mobil 1. I am also looking into the possibility that removing the cats might have actually decreased my numbers instead of increasing them.

I also use the spark plug non=foulers. How were your air/fuels? have you thought about having a tune installed?

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 steel gray GTS,

Don't feel too bad. I met a guy at the Carlisle show ( 99 silver acr ) whose car did not crack 400. his dyno sheets showed 396 - 398 WHP and he had headers and high flow cats.

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing about dynos is that every one is different, they are NOT a reliable way of checking your HP. There are so many different ways to cheat your numbers or effect the outcome that you can't compare one persons numbers to another. You can set the dyno to SAE, uncorrected, corrected, and adjust the smoothing to change your numbers.

For example, I just had my motorcycle dyno'ed on Friday, and we were able to go from 155HP to 164HP just by playing with the different settings on the same pull. Also air temps, humidity, and elevation all effect dyno readings.

I wouldn't be too dissappointed with dyno numbers, too many variables to make them accurate.

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also use the spark plug non=foulers. How were your air/fuels? have you thought about having a tune installed?

I had never had it measured after or prior. I have kicked the idea of a SCT tune around but I feel like I need some more mods to make it really worth while. I probably will add a tune when I at least go to a 3" full exhaust system.

To clarify my earlier post, I am not disappointed in my car. I was disappointed that it put down the lowest numbers, the same day, minutes apart from other Vipers. In fact a bone stock 2001 put down around 414hp and a 1996 gts put down around 430hp with just a 3" cat-back system.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 Creampuff, BTR chrome tubes and cone air filters, stock headers and cats, 3" Bellanger Cat back rear exhaust system.

Best pull, 479 at the flywheel, 393 at the rear wheels.

Ive just got hold of a set of Bellenger Headers and plan short term to run with a full 3" cat delete :D Should wake up the neibours :D

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what they say Phil, there's one born every minute!! :crazy2:

No worries Darren, just post the results.

Glad to see your still looking around the board Duane. Have you found your next steel Grey/Silver Stripe viper yet?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to see your still looking around the board Duane. Have you found your next steel Grey/Silver Stripe viper yet?

No I haven't but wait until you see what will be delivered here via enclosed trailer on Aug. 10. It's a 2012....................................................?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery