What spare Parts needed by novice racer

Vipergtsbob

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
As I have now ordered my comp coupe and will take delivery in early November, I would like to have some input from comp coupe veterans as what spare parts are recommended to be acquired when I introduce the car into club racing events next spring. I intend on commencing my program by doing our regional club and SCCA events and will participate in VRL events as I progress in my driving experience. I have been acquiring a lot of track junk in using my ACR for the last three years, but with the coupe being strictly for track use, I was curious what parts wore most and any other general "newbie" tech advice the viper comp coupe crowd can provide.
Thanks in advance.
Bob Carroll
VCA New Jersey President,
National VCA Treasurer elect :usa:

Stan Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

Congratulations on your Viper Comp Coupe purchase!! You are going to have the time of your life in the driver's seat of this snake for sure!!

The best plan for needed parts would be the schedule of replacement based in hours of use in your Comp Coupe manual. You will receive the Comp Coupe owner's manual with the car, and it will list all of the item's life cycles in it based upon hours of track use.

The main items you will need are brake rotors, brake pads, rear toe links, wheel bearings, fluids, and of course, tires. :laugh:

Give me a call if you would like to discuss details. I have had my Coupe Coupe on the track for 2 test sessions, 2 VRL races, and 3 World Challenge weekends without any mechanical problems.

Stan Wilson #92

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,
After 2 years doing the VRL, you might should consider doing ViperDays/VRL instead of regional events.

1. you'll come up to speed a LOT faster being around others in the same car.
2. you'll get tons more track time.
3. the events are MUCH more organized
4. you'll be on the car with like cars - not the incredible speed differentials you'll see in the ITE/SPO SCCA class that the Comp Coupe is in.
5. you'll be happier with the quality of drivers and cars and the no contact rules in the VRL.

And the best reason - you don't have to carry you spares - John Archer does all that for you!

#54gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase of the coupe you'll love it. I agree with Janni the best thing to do is to come to one of the ViperDays events even if you don't run you will get 100% of any questions you have answered and you can watch the Coupe racers routine and operation. Even get a ride in one on the track. ViperDays will be a very good starting point for you, SCCA will bang up your coupe faster then you know think splitter alone($$$$).

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

Congrats on buying a CC. I agree with Janni. I did some events with local clubs and you either win all with no one even close at the finish line or you get left in the dust. At least in the VRL you are with comparable cars. SCCA racers are unforgiving and normally their body parts are a hell of a lot cheaper than yours.
Back to the question. #1 on the list is before you drive the car on the track is to change the power steering hoses Its not a matter "if" but when it will break-I should have listened to PMUM when he told me. Mine went at 140 MPH @ TMS on the front straight--lucky cause my winshield was covered and I could not see. So that is a must. Let me repeat that "Change the power steering hose"
I know of 7 that have went--Russ Oasis lost his last weekend at TMR. Next cary a spare power steering pump. As far as aything else--after 20 or so hours--look at replacing wheel bearings--Tie rod ends, depending on style of driving. But really just brakes and rotors for now. I check bearing play/Tie rod every track day.
Transmissions seem to go out a lot. I guess the stock box just isn't strong enough.

Joe B

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,
The most important "spare" for your new car is a spare driver, so look me up anytime for that. I am always reliable and take up very little room. I require just to be put in the race seat....LOL

Good luck with the car!

OP
OP
Vipergtsbob

Vipergtsbob

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
First, I wish to extend my sincere appreciation for all the helpful advice you all have provided. Be assured I will investigate all your suggestions and take action. I hope to meet those I have not met already, as there seems to be a sub fraternity of CC and GTS racers that I hope to learn a lot from. Please keep the information coming and your practical experiences are the best learning lab I can get pending getting my butt into the car.
Thanks again
Bob Carroll

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456