What towels/rags to use?

vettegc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of post on products to use. I just ordered a zaino borderless blonde after watching a video from junkman but what do you use for the initial wash? i have been using the autozone microfiber towels but have read thats not very good? Also, if I don't have a leaf blower what is my best option to dry with?

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used the Adam's microfiber drying towels and they worked well. I've also used old bath towels (freshly cleaned) and they worked okay.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pure Excess Industries used to post on here. Don't know if there still around? I bought 2 drying towels that were about beach towel size very thick and soft, very nice and do the job. Anyway check Griots, Adams, Auto Geek and the fine VCA site sponsors 

OP
OP
V

vettegc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you use for washing? Is it something I can buy locally or do I have to order it online?

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used a lot of different things for the initial wash, only to find out that they all leave some level of scratches behind. Now I'm not a fan of anything made in China but I managed to find one wash mitt that did NOT scratch my paint. The kicker is, not only is it made in China but you can get it at Auto Zone. Here's the deal.

There are all kinds of knockoffs of this particular mitt but NONE of them are as safe as this exact one. This is the only one I use to wash my car and the only one I recommend for washing a car. It is the Auto Zone Microfiber Knobby Wash Mitt. I always buy two, one for the top half of the car and one for the bottom half of the car. The mitt for the top half NEVER sees the bottom half of the car and vice-verse. These mitts ONLY TOUCH PAINT, not wheels, undercarriage, engine or anything else. These mitts are the only ones that I have used that leave absolutely no damage in the paint. They can ONLY be found at Auto Zone and the look-a-likes that I have tried are crappy as hell. All one has to do is look at my paint up close to see how particular I am about my paint. The slightest, and I mean the slightest scratch will show up in my paint like **** at a frat party:

You must be registered for see images

That's what I use to wash with. You already have the Borderless Blond towels and the ONLY thing that I use those for is to remove polish or wax, NOTHING ELSE. Also, never use those towels on a dirty car. They are far to expensive, too good of quality and hard to get because Zaino can't make enough of them for you to destroy by getting them filthy. The less you have to wash them, the better.

For liquids like your quick detailers, water or anything runny, I use the waffle weave style towels that were mentioned earlier. However, I wouldn't use the ones at PakShak for two reasons. One, they have a low grade silk edging that can scratch your paint. Two, that edging is sewn onto the towel and that stitching can scratch the paint too. There's ways of working around the edge issue but I would just rather have a towel that doesn't have any edging or stitching. The towels you want should have no edges like these:

Again, those are strictly for runny type liquids. You can use them for drying as a small towel will **** up a lot of water and are very easy to wring out. However, as was mentioned earlier (by someone who has definitely watch a video or two of mine... :D), the less you touch the paint, the better it is for the paint. For that reason, I blow dry my car.

Although I use the Air Force Master Blaster to dry my car, you can go the cheaper route and get a $30 ELECTRIC leaf blower from Sears. It will get the job done. Not as good as the Master Blaster (heated and filtered air), but will work just fine and it cost 10% of what the Master Blaster cost. So there you are OP, everything you wanted to know about towels.

Last edited:

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Air Force Master Blaster. :D

I use this as well and feels it takes too long, even on high setting!? I just used the strongest backpack gas blower and it cut the drying time by 1/4. If only I could use both at the same time lol..

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a used 2003 Sears Electric leaf blower to dry off the Viper. This reminds me that I have yet to paint it Yellow/Black stripes to match the Viper.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use this as well and feels it takes too long, even on high setting!? I just used the strongest backpack gas blower and it cut the drying time by 1/4. If only I could use both at the same time lol..

The only problem with gas blowers is that they emit exhaust. Guess where all that oil and stuff is landing?

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only problem with gas blowers is that they emit exhaust. Guess where all that oil and stuff is landing?

I try to keep the back pack as far away as I can from the car and so far no smoke at all from the brand spanking new blower... I have to try to find the most powerful electric blower...

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... I have to try to find the most powerful electric blower...

huh... the Air Force Master Blaster is 8 HP with both motors - if that's not enough then try customizing the nozzle end to the way you like it or something. Maybe instead of a round hole on the end try a narrow slot. :dunno:

I'm pretty sure ya want to leave the paint and remove the water. :lmao:

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
huh... the Air Force Master Blaster is 8 HP with both motors - if that's not enough then try customizing the nozzle end to the way you like it or something. Maybe instead of a round hole on the end try a narrow slot. :dunno:

I'm pretty sure ya want to leave the paint and remove the water. :lmao:

Yeah, the Master Blaster was the sole reason I added dedicated 20-amp outlets around my garage...that thing with both motors going draws some serious current, and blows some serious air. Works well to blow off my lawn mowers too :cool:

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use de ionized water and you won't need any blower ! Car dries with no water spots , and no towel swirl marks . Check out Costco for there kits :2tu:

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mr clean car wash de ionizer at Walmart. If you have a water softener use it to wash the car and do the final rinse with the mr car wash.
Then the red neck ******** with the leaf blower. Add a few shots of detail spray on the car and a final wipe down with good quality made in America towels with the edge seams/hems cut off.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do not recommend a leaf blower, electric or gas. The Air Force Master Blaster and/or the Blaster Sidekick are much better machines. They are HEPA filtered and heat the air. They also have a more focused nozzle, so the air goes where you want it. Leaf blowers are clumsy as well and I have seen people hit cars with them.

I prefer not to touch my car when drying, but if I do, it is with a waffle weave towel, either Adam's great White Drying Towel or Adam's Waterless Wash Towel.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, make sure to use Adam's Microfiber Revitalizer to clean the towels properly.

http://stores.shopthompsonracing.com/-strse-260/Adam's-Microfiber-Revitalizer-&/Detail.bok

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used an electric leaf blower for years before I got my Master Blaster with no issues whatsoever. If you are on budget, you can't beat a $30 leaf blower from Sears. It doesn't blow heated air like the Master Blaster but it will get the job done safely and effectively.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used an electric leaf blower for years before I got my Master Blaster with no issues whatsoever. If you are on budget, you can't beat a $30 leaf blower from Sears. It doesn't blow heated air like the Master Blaster but it will get the job done safely and effectively.

Agree with Junkman. My $30.00 electric blower does the job quite effectively. Maybe takes longer but I can replace it ten times for the price of the MB and it's way more mobile (for actually blowing leaves). Some of them are pretty powerful.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stihl Kombi with the blower does the trick too. Gas powered, but due to the design, no exhaust gasses are directed at the car. The best part is that I have a hedge trimmer, pole pruner, string trimmer, lawn edger, and blower, and just one engine to maintain for all of that stuff.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with Junkman. My $30.00 electric blower does the job quite effectively. Maybe takes longer but I can replace it ten times for the price of the MB and it's way more mobile (for actually blowing leaves). Some of them are pretty powerful.

I just can't see spending all that money on a masterbater. Electric leaf blower has been working well for me for 6 years. Don't understand how folks can whack the Viper with one unless they're an idiot.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried a high priced electric blower and ended up giving it to my Son. The gas powered on is still being used even though I hire out taking care of the lawn.:)

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried a high priced electric blower and ended up giving it to my Son. The gas powered on is still being used even though I hire out taking care of the lawn.:)

All you needed was a $30 electric one from Sears. That's all I used for years. Gas powered blowers put oil and gas exhaust into the air while you're using them and guess where that stuff lands...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper