What will it take to beat a C6 Z06 in an SRT-10??

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend and I are here talking about the Z vs Viper, and here is the conclusion we came up with. Tell me what you guys think.

Let us assume that the C6 Z06 has 450 rwhp (that is being conservative) and an SRT-10 has 440 rwhp. So, that means that:

Z06) 3132 / 450 = 6.96
Viper) 3380 / 440 = 7.68

Ok, so stock for stock, it obviously will lose to the Z06. Lets modify the Viper.

Z06) 3132 / 450 = 6.96 hp/lb
Viper) 3380 / 480 = 7.04 hp/lb

So, the Z06 still has the better power/weight ratio. Let us modify the Viper some more.

Z06) 3132 / 450 = 6.96 hp/lb
Viper) 3380 / 500 = 6.76 hp/lb

Ok, so with 500 rwhp, a an SRT-10 has a slight better power/weight ratio, BUT, the Z06 still has much better aerodynamics, more aggressive final gear ratio and more rpm. So, I would think the Viper would still need more than just an extra .2 lb/hp to take the Z06 out.

In conclusion, my friend and I both think it will take about 530 rwhp to actually BEAT the C6 Z06. I know that sounds crazy, but man, I think it is true.

So, what do you guys think?? And before I get flamed, this is just so us Viper guys can be aware of what we need to beat this Vet. Let me hear your opinion.

Thanks.

Fadi

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
since you have a 2001 Z06, you should use it as comparison, and find a stretch of highway and run both of your cars, and see what you come up with. just my .02

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
First of all, 440RWHP is a little on the low side for a stock SRT-10. 2005/2006 seem to be in the 460 RWHP area.

Next up, 3380 is the weight of Coupe, which is HEAVIER than the Vert. Convertible SRT-10's are in the 3310-3320 range.

Lastly, the TQ curve of the ZO6 will be its downfall ccompared to the SRT-10. With a power/weight the same, the Viper should pull far enough ahead of the Z06 when the R's are a little lower that the ZO6 will not be able to gain enough on the SRT to pass it. It also definitely depends on the speeds racing to and from as well, as that dictates the cars' different shift points.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen on average 435-440 rwhp

Where did you get 3310 lbs for the Viper? Lowest I have ever seen for the SRT is 3380.

Lastly, tq really is irrelevant to roll on races. If it weren't, the Viper would smoke almost anything on the road. Why would a C6 Z run to 150 in 17.5 secs vs the SRT's 22.4? If the Viper tq helps alot, that wouldn't be the case. I think tq really comes into play out of corners..jmo

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper's stock 3.07 miser gear is a real issue.
Dump it for something more fitting and let the fun begin. :)

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With power levels so close, it will depend on the skills of the driver on regular street races, etc. If both C6 Z06 and Viper SRT-10 were to be driven by professionals, the Z06 will have a slight advantage. Still, it's much more fun to drive the SRT-10 and when you heavily modify both cars the SRT-10 reaches HP levels that no Z06 has ever reached and will ever reach. :headbang: :headbang:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First of all, 440RWHP is a little on the low side for a stock SRT-10. 2005/2006 seem to be in the 460 RWHP area.

Next up, 3380 is the weight of Coupe, which is HEAVIER than the Vert. Convertible SRT-10's are in the 3310-3320 range.

Lastly, the TQ curve of the ZO6 will be its downfall ccompared to the SRT-10. With a power/weight the same, the Viper should pull far enough ahead of the Z06 when the R's are a little lower that the ZO6 will not be able to gain enough on the SRT to pass it. It also definitely depends on the speeds racing to and from as well, as that dictates the cars' different shift points.

460rwhp is too high for stock numbers ... most bone stock SRTs dyno about 435-438rwhp (I asked a leading tuner on this board) ... some mods will help .. get the SRT up to around 470rwhp, and I'd bet it will be damn close ... gears are the biggest issue though ... to take advantage of the SRT's TQ advantage you don't wanna go too high (3.55 is even too high, IMO) ... 3.33s on an SRT could smoke a Z06, even from a roll ... but they don't make 3.33s anymore (someone, PLEASE make these gears!!!)

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What will it take to beat a C6 Z06 in an SRT-10??

A better driver.

And it would take a better driver in a C5 Z06 to beat a SRT-10, yet we all know that driver for driver, the C5 Z06 wouldn't stand a chance.

I should have metioned it, but I meant with equal drivers, car fo car.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Along with driving, I say sticky tires would do it (sticky tires and short rear end gears for sure). Come on Kumho - where is a 19" V700?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do your dyno check on a Mustang dyno and find out the Viper has more horsepower. The reason is all the rotating inertia that the Viper has negatively impacts results on an inertia dyno.

My experience is most SRT-10s dyno around 445 hp on a Dynojet. I have been watching the results for 3 years (not 3 months). Including mine at 448 RWHP.

Unless you have weightless drivers and fuel, etc adjust your weights to be as seen on the street. hp/weight should be as it runs.

Lighter wheels (which came on some Vipers stock) would eliminate the hp disadvantage you tout. The wider torque range remains. And yes the flatness of the torque curve does matter, unless you have a cvt that stays at peak hp all the time. It is area under the torque curve that defines acceleration in any given gear.

But, if you really want to see a Z06 get beat follow me around a bit this summer :)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Do your dyno check on a Mustang dyno and find out the Viper has more horsepower. The reason is all the rotating inertia that the Viper has negatively impacts results on an inertia dyno.

My experience is most SRT-10s dyno around 445 hp on a Dynojet. I have been watching the results for 3 years (not 3 months). Including mine at 448 RWHP.

Unless you have weightless drivers and fuel, etc adjust your weights to be as seen on the street. hp/weight should be as it runs.

Lighter wheels (which came on some Vipers stock) would eliminate the hp disadvantage you tout. The wider torque range remains. And yes the flatness of the torque curve does matter, unless you have a cvt that stays at peak hp all the time. It is area under the torque curve that defines acceleration in any given gear.

But, if you really want to see a Z06 get beat follow me around a bit this summer :)

You make some great points. Faultless logic, and all well spoken.

But doesn't the current stock ZO6 have better 1/4 mile times, and a higher top speed than the current stock Viper? That is the issue of the day-

That is, until Viper comes out with something else, i.e., less weight and/or more power. I think we can all feel it coming.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You make some great points. Faultless logic, and all well spoken.

But doesn't the current stock ZO6 have better 1/4 mile times, and a higher top speed than the current stock Viper? That is the issue of the day-

That is, until Viper comes out with something else, i.e., less weight and/or more power. I think we can all feel it coming.

Vic you know the new Z06 really run's 13's, after all GM paid all the magazines off to publish false times. Thought you new this.... :eek:

My opinion, it comes down to the driver.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Chuck on the driver issue. I am looking forward to racing a C6 Z06 in my GEN I. I have beat cars the run better times, have more HP, and are just plain faster than the new Z06 on the street with no problems. Learn to launch your car. It's one of the best mods you will ever do. Then pray the other person spent more time on mods and less time learning how to launch.

Mods mean nothing without a good driver.