What Would You Do If Your Son Got A Ticket For 80+ In A 25 MPH Zone?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm.....I'm hoping I don't lose all credibility on this site when I say this but o well...I'm one of those kids, I just turned 18 in August and my dad bought me an 04' SRT-10 for graduation. I know, I know too young, but I can honestly say I respect the car!!! It scares the hell out of me! It took the first several weeks for me to even feel semi comfortable behind the wheel. And to be honest I learned to drive a stick on the car too. Also, I have and will continue to turn down any "street races". I don't want to be another statistic, but rather just another Viper LOVER. I am obsessed! And just felt the need to say that not all teens are stupid. I know that's not what you guys were saying.

Good news...my dad told me he's trading in our 04' and we're getting an 08'!

Just thought I would share a different perspective.

You are one of the few. Most of us weren't as level-headed at your age as you appear to be and that is why our comments are so strict.

Good luck, stay safe and don't let peer pressure have any affect.

And ask dad to take you to Viper Days.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm.....I'm hoping I don't lose all credibility on this site when I say this but o well...I'm one of those kids, I just turned 18 in August and my dad bought me an 04' SRT-10 for graduation. I know, I know too young, but I can honestly say I respect the car!!! It scares the hell out of me! It took the first several weeks for me to even feel semi comfortable behind the wheel. And to be honest I learned to drive a stick on the car too. Also, I have and will continue to turn down any "street races". I don't want to be another statistic, but rather just another Viper LOVER. I am obsessed! And just felt the need to say that not all teens are stupid. I know that's not what you guys were saying.

Join a few driving clubs and get your kicks on the track. It'll make you not bother with street racing.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my son was sixteen, now he is a doctor, I had him sign a contract prior to providing him with a Ford Ranger "Splash" pickup truck. The contract had conditions that had to be fulfilled in order for him to maintain his truck driving privileges. The two principal conditions concerned driving behavior and grades. There was no right of appeal for a failure to fulfill a condition. During the next few years, there were a number of occasions, not many, when the terms of the contract were not met. In each case, I took the keys away from him and explained to him that his word is who he is; and, that there are consequences for not fulfilling the terms of an agreement. The duration of the keys revocation varied depending on the incident. During those times, he walked or was picked up by a friend. He was not happy about it, but he learned a valuable lesson. Love and limits works. Love without limits not only ruins a child but too often results in the injury and/or death of a child. JM2C

Very well said Bob. I like that idea.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Welcome to the club! I can fully understand what you said. I was there at one point as well. Just respect the car!!

wartornwarhorse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cars are a nice way for kids and dads to bond, great thing, I recall when I taught my kid the finer points of driving behind the wheel of the family Ford Excursion. Let the bonding begin, I thought, if she could figure out how to drive that leviathan, the dreadnaught of the roadways, she could drive anything!

She did not want to drive the car around town, din't want to be seen by any friends or schoolmates, LOL. She made quite a spectacle of herself, hopping curbs, lots of close calls, but all under my watchful eye, (you really cant feel those tall curbs when you run over em) nearly took out a bus stop platform too. Then we went down to her school a few days later, and she drove the parking lot for an hour, everyone got to see her driving. So, she learned a lesson in humility and driving an uncool car in plain view of her piers. She behaved, graduated, learned to drive somemore, no hurry I thought, when she objected, I reminded her of the dead friends of hers who were in a hurry to drive. So she cooled it for awhile.

Anyhow, about a year later, got her a little v6 pony mustang with a coolness package, since she went off to college and needed a car, and she was doing well with the grades, and getting with the program and all. Then I got rid of the excursion.. got a Viper!

jimmy6383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for respecting what I said. Makes me feel better. I live near Grand Rapids, MI, and my dad is trying to rent Grattan Raceway for a day. That's the track where R&T or one of those mags did the Z06/Viper comparison a few years back. Should be pretty sweet to fly around there! How do I find slash sign up for Viper Days?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for respecting what I said. Makes me feel better. I live near Grand Rapids, MI, and my dad is trying to rent Grattan Raceway for a day. That's the track where R&T or one of those mags did the Z06/Viper comparison a few years back. Should be pretty sweet to fly around there! How do I find slash sign up for Viper Days?

www.ViperDays.com

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm 19 and own a Viper. If I was stupid enough to go 80+ in a 25, I'd expect to go to jail... You're putting a lot of lives at risk... That's why you take it out to the country if you want to go fast..

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 19 and own a Viper. If I was stupid enough to go 80+ in a 25, I'd expect to go to jail... You're putting a lot of lives at risk... That's why you take it out to the country if you want to go fast..

There are quite a few younger Viper owners on this website. They just have to help change the negative attitude of many older members by respecting the cars and not wrecking them.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
................................................?

I was at Chuck's in FL and logged in to check my PM's. I didnt log out and Chuck didn't notice. So he made a posting under my name on accident and just edited it by changing it to "................................"

As for my opinion, 80 in a 25 is really bad. The worst part is the location. A schoolzone is one of the LAST places you should be speeding. I say make the kid pay the ticket, increased insurance rates and any other fines. Take the keys to the Viper for 30-60 days at least.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that Chad..wondered what you were trying to say!!! What you said...my kids all paid their own prices for any infractions (son-one). Keys get taken away, NO car for 30 days...luckily, I don't have to do this anymore...kids are grown up, whew! ~juli

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at Chuck's in FL and logged in to check my PM's. I didnt log out and Chuck didn't notice. So he made a posting under my name on accident and just edited it by changing it to "................................"

As for my opinion, 80 in a 25 is really bad. The worst part is the location. A schoolzone is one of the LAST places you should be speeding. I say make the kid pay the ticket, increased insurance rates and any other fines. Take the keys to the Viper for 30-60 days at least.

You forgot to log out? haha. I thought that it was odd that you had more attitude recently.:rolaugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala