What would you like to see as the NEW Engine for the Gen V Viper?

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Please vote:

1) Same 8.4L V10 as the Gen IV car but with direct injection making around 680-700 hp.

2) Back to 8.0 V10 and completely redesigned and a more modern motor with Multi-valve heads and DOHC (Double over head camshafts) making between 700-750hp.

3) I don't want to see any changes. It should stay the same at 600 hp.

4) Something Hemi V10 or even V8 would be fine with me as long as it sits around 600 hp.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dual overhead cams on 10 cylinders seem like it would be very expensive to buy, and maintain.

I'm not an engineer, but I think option 1) would be ideal... more efficient higher compression direct injection seem to make sense to me. I think I can limp along on 680-700 HP ;)

Can a two wheel drive car hook up with with that much power?

I'd be content with no engine change, as long as performance increases- 1/4 mile, 0-60, various lap times etc.

~Jay

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm betting on #1

Seems the most likely to happen, and it is what I'd like to see anyway.

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jay M,

Thanks for your vote!

I think hooking up 680-700 horses should be easier than those 600 hp from the Gen IV. Reason behind that is the traction control which should be available for the new car.
It would be interesting to see an efficient, state of the art traction control and more power working together on the new car. Maybe sub 3.5s 0-60 expected? :2tu:

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DOHC makes the heads way too wide and it's way too much mickey mouse. Maintain the same old simple, brute power 600 - 700 hp and tq should be fine. I'm not sure about DFI in gas engines. The manufactures that have tried that like BMW and Porsche have had HPFP issues with them, and it requires some insanely high fuel pressure which also can be problematic. [ hence the HPFP ]

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the idea of mixing the simplicity and proven dependability of the current pushrod single-cam setup, with the efficiency of direct injection. The car would make more power, run slightly cooler, and be more fuel efficient.

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like option 1 but also with a kit to upgrade the Gen IV engine to DI. Arrow offers an upgrade to the Gen III engine with Gen IV parts so why not...

Alteredego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not just have two options much like the Vette, a high performance motor (V8 or V10) for the road and a all out supercharged V10 for the die hard Viper guys.
This would open up some sales for SRT. If they go all out I'd like to see an all Aluminum V10 semi-hemi with a 4L supercharger. They could go way low on compression and have a "performance valve" intergrated into the blower. Then guys would only have to swap the pulley to get more power.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not just have two options much like the Vette, a high performance motor (V8 or V10) for the road and a all out supercharged V10 for the die hard Viper guys.
This would open up some sales for SRT. If they go all out I'd like to see an all Aluminum V10 semi-hemi with a 4L supercharger. They could go way low on compression and have a "performance valve" intergrated into the blower. Then guys would only have to swap the pulley to get more power.

how is a supercharged engine for the "die hard viper guys?" The viper became legend for the look, the NA V10 and most importantly for it's dominance in road racing. Much of it's dominance was a direct result of the huge NA engine. The LS9 has overheating issues when run ******* track.

The new viper has to be NA. I don't see any reason to go away from the V10, but I like the idea of a big engine so 10 or more cylinders is a must. My guess is it will just be an evolution of the Gen IV engine and that would be perfect, imo.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am willing to bet there will be slight changes to the current motor. (still passes emissions and really a great motor) Personally I would like to see the viper beat the corvette horsepower numbers with a N/A motor.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Play around with the heads/intake manifold and such, and get it to 650hp

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd really like to see a FI factory option

1st Strike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First I think it can't be a V-8. I also think to keep prices down we have to go with option 1. With all the new electronics adding weight and cost we can get another 100 horse from option 1 and that should be good for 2 years. No major development costs here.

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Design goal of 725-750hp, v10, na, with a new head design with hemispherical combustion chambers built with exotic metals to keep engine weight at or below the current level. The cost increase would be substantial but worth it to me. Oh yes, I do believe in Santa.

eagles

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either someone slipped something in my coffee or someone here just posted a suggestion to have a V8 lower tier Viper version. I've got my pitch fork and torch ready regardless.

And to answer the question, I don't care how they do it, but this is what I want: A solid (forged internals) V10 no less than 8 liters with a nasty sounding engine. I'd prefer to see a 9 liter or so 700HP motor.

Edit: additionally, added costs should no longer be a concern. The folks up at SRT have stated they are trying to steal customers away from Porsches and Corvettes. If people will pay $150k for a TT 997 that hardly looks any different from a $90k 997 or $120k for a clear hooded corvette that hardly looks any different from a $55k corvette, I am willing to bet they will pay the added costs for a 700+HP V10 domestic exotic.

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to see a dry sump style motor under vacuum that would and should make power over the 700 range and still be very drivable.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For years I dreamed about a hemi head V-10 with about 650hp. Now I have a 600hp Viper with a stock motor! Don't think I would be satisfied with "just" 650. How about a direct injected V-10 with either hemi heads or multiple cams worth, say, 750hp?

Pappa Prich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think option 2 would be great, but option 1 is most realistic along with maybe some milling of the heads/intake/etc

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Modified Opt 1 as others have posted here. Restore some of the bottom end earlier Gen V10s had without losing the great top end it has.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever is needed to get over 700hp.

And for folks asking for V8's and automatic transmissions, remember we are discussing Vipers here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang