what's causing this exhaust smoke?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JackB and Tony have summed up how to set up the breather/catch-can pretty well. The only thing I would add is.......if you want to keep things EPA compliant then you can vent the catch-can back to the airbox. The catch-can will be just an oil separator.

When I diagnosed mine, I came to the conclusion that the valve covers were not the culprits. My TB blades were clean and the line from the valve cover to the airbox was relatively dry and oil free. I was told that the 1.7 ratio rockers can contribute to the problem. So my solution was focused on the CCV, not the valve covers. The simple fact that the CCV tees directly into the intake seems just so wrong to me.

The reason I chose to install an air/oil sperator as opposed to a catch can is that I didn't want to mess with the vacuum between the intake manifold and CCV. After two oil changes I've collected about 2-3oz of oil in the seperator and the intake is clean. I know this because I replaced my t-stat and while I had the intake off I couldn't find any oil residue in the intake runners.

Reaction score
When I diagnosed mine, I came to the conclusion that the valve covers were not the culprits. My TB blades were clean and the line from the valve cover to the airbox was relatively dry and oil free. I was told that the 1.7 ratio rockers can contribute to the problem. So my solution was focused on the CCV, not the valve covers. The simple fact that the CCV tees directly into the intake seems just so wrong to me.

I've seen a lot of stock Viper intakes in my day, and unless the guy car-washed it before he sent it to me to get ported, most of the time there was oil inside it.

I, like you, don't like the idea of an evac line running straight from the block to the intake.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ported my catch can back to the drivers side air box fitting like the stock system uses (like Greg suggested). Got tired of seeing vent gasses rising out of the hood vent on the drivers side. I always felt like everyone would think I had oil dripping on my headers or something askew under the hood.

OP
OP
M

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ported my catch can back to the drivers side air box fitting like the stock system uses (like Greg suggested). Got tired of seeing vent gasses rising out of the hood vent on the drivers side. I always felt like everyone would think I had oil dripping on my headers or something askew under the hood.

was your catch can for the valve covers or the pcv/crankcase venting?

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Valve covers. With the ROE system, you block off the PCV port under the manifold so all you get to vent is via the valve covers. I get no actual oil in the catch can...just vapor (so far).

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has done this at a track day or hard romp going from full throttle to the brake. Normaly its no problem. I am thinking of venting the ccv to a tube and drop it down secured as a vent and plugging the other end to the intake on a temporary basis for a track day. What do you think?? GTS Bruce

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your valve seals. Pull your spark plugs and look for one/s that have build up.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
was your catch can for the valve covers or the pcv/crankcase venting?

you really want to do both, it is so easy.

1. Utilize the oem hose/tube from pass valve cover.

2. Remove PCV and run hose to a tee in the hose above. Remov,e do not block, vent into this line.

3. Continue out of the tee to the drivers valve cover and a second tee.

4. Continue to a catch can on the frame at the lower left of the radiator.

5. Add a breather to the passenger valve cover oil fill hole.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte