What's different with a European GTS?

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am trying to find out, what exactly Chrysler changed to "convert" a US car (450 hp) into the official european/german version of the GTS? I am mainly looking for changes applied to engine/powertrain, not so much for the "obvious" (visible) changes. However, for the latter ones I have figured out the following changes so far (list is very likely to be incomplete :smirk:):

- Speedometer's main scale reads Km/h, Mph is on secondary scale
- Odometer counts kilometers instead of miles
- Additional turn indicators installed on the sides of the hood (close to the Viper GTS label)
- Chrysler lable on rear bumper instead of Dodge

But now let's talk about the power plant: I have an original german Chrysler brochure dated August 1997 and the spec sheet outlines 411 hp at 5,100 rpm and 630 Nm of max. torque at 3,600 rpm.

I also have an origianl US brochure from 1997 and it shows 450 hp at 5,200 rpm and a max. torque of 663 Nm at 3,700 rpm (490 lb-ft).

So I assume, that some things were changed by the factory for the european models that caused the power reduction as I do not believe that it's just due to measuring at slightly different rpm...

Does anyone know, what exactly has been done? I do have asked already in the german VCA forum but no one really knew :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Holgi

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your best bet would be Herb's Grail Trail forum. He would know or have your exact answer.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the europeans measure hp and tq differently. its the same powerplant.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a diffrence, I cant remember what it is :( Baz will know, he has fiddled with a few. I think its a different ECU program? I will send Baz a link to this thread :) That's why I wanted an AMERICAN Dodge Viper :D Also our wonderful Government is changing the rules on Taxation for big Ltr cars, a friend of mine with an Aston Martin is having to pay $1,531 Dollars a year in Road Tax :omg: Luckily because my car was an import I managed to beat this new rule so my Road Tax is only $314 Dollars a year :D

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The PCM is different in the tuning, The UK or Euro Vipers only run 2x 02 sensors Pre Cat. Also there is an air ristrictor in the airbox (easy to remove)
also..

http://www.getcarspecs.com/chrysler/1997-chrysler-viper

White side lights in head lights = amber in the USA
Side repeaters on the side of hood near logo (amber)=not required in the USA
2x rear fog lights in rear cluster=not required in the USA

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to the friends from UK :uk:

I couldn't really believe that it's just because of measuring the power somewhat differently... :cool:

I guess, I would also prefer the US version but if there will be a good opportunity for a european GTS I would take it as well. Finally, the overall condition and price will make the difference. I wonder anyhow, if you feel the difference in hp/torque in your pants... :drive:

...but there don't seem to be many europe snakes out there...:grumpy:

Holgi

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
still the same powerplant if its being restricted by ecu thats an easy fix.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the ECU was adjusted so that the viper could make the tougher european noise regulations, that meant loosing HP

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As mentioned, an easy fix:

US-PCM has different software - I bought one from the US (later, my dealership could reprogram the EU-PCM to US-specs!),
Euro Vipers need a second set of 02 sensors,
Remove the air ristrictor in the air-box.

And get rid of the clogged cats and put in a nice Corsa 3" cat back.