What's the best way to remove headlamp assembly?

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What\'s the best way to remove headlamp assembly?

Hey all,

Hoping someone can assist. I am adding AC to my 1994 RT/10. In the process, I need to remove the upper air baffle. This is the plastic part that is riveted to the radiator support, and to which the air filter housing assembly bolts to. I need to remove the hood supports to do this. However, two of the bolts are under the headlight assembly. I cannot locate the procedure to remove the headlamp assembly in my manual. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s the best way to remove headlamp assembly?

Unfortunately you'll need to remove the front fascia in order to replace the lamp assembly. If your looking to simply service a lamp, remove the inner wheel well panel to access the backside of the assembly. Then just remove the wingnuts and service away.

tristan rizzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've removed the foglight then reached up inside and taken off all the nuts holding the lamp in (4 I think). The lamp assembly should come right out. I have a 94 also - so I know it works.. You will have to reach in the access panel in front of the tire to get the fogligh out...after that its cake.
Tristan

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

RCKTMN - Great sig first off!

I'm a little unsure of your question, but the "front half" of the air filter assembly should have a plastic nut/bolt on each side to remove. These seem to get lost easily and a previous owner may have just riveted in place to secure. If you're just trying to get access to the front of the engine you can unclip the air filter housing and loosen the air intake tubes. Then you can take off the front crossmember assembly.

Would be a great time to lose the baffle and install smooth tubes as well - more power and better sound.

Good luck!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Best thing to do is remove the facia. Takes about half an hour and makes life much more simple.

The plastic piece you speak of is the upper radiator cover. I was not aware they were riveted on earlier models. On my car it is simply bolted on with 4 10mm bolts.

It's obvious you are going to remove the hood. Having a buddy help you out will simplify that task.

For the facia, I can only give you instructions from a 2000 yr model perspective.

Begin with unbolting the hood latch in the facia held on with 2 small screws.
Then remove the upper radiator cover (4 bolts).
There are two plastic pieces under that that have to be removed and they are held on with plastic push pins, one on each side. They will have to be worked a bit to get them out, but don't force them too much.
Next, remove all the bolts on the bottom of the facia which hold the facia skin onto the radiator core support. On the later model Vipers there is a lip which they sit behind.
Then remove the bolts inside the rim of each wheel well holding the facia skin onto the back of the radiator core support.
You may want to tape the back side of the facia in the wheel well with masking tape wide enough to wrap around the corners of the facia to prevent scratching the surface (The same area you just removed the bolts from).
Remove two nuts through the cross hairs (one on each side) Holding the facia onto the frame horns. You will see 4, you want the ones on the outside.
Next you want to go back to the top of the facia in the area where you removed the two plastic pieces. You will see 2 fairly large lock nuts towards the rear of the facia (one on each side). Loosen those as far as they go but don't remove.
Have a blanket ready underneath the facia and a blanket off to the side somewhere for later.
Slowly and carefully peel back the facia skin from the radiator core support on each side, the same area you masked off, taking care not to break through the masking tape.
Go ahead and remove the two nuts you just loosened.
While supporting the facia with one hand on the upper part above the cross hairs and one hand behind the facia slowly work the facia and bumper assembly off the frame horns.
Keep an eye on any plastic shims that may fall out and keep track of where they came from.
Set the facia on the blanket you set underneath it and unplug the connectors for the headlight and fog lights.
Transfer the facia to the blanket you set off to the side.

Mark the nuts underneath the headlight assemblies for realignment during install. Loosen the nuts underneath the head light assemblies, but keep track of where the shims are if there are any.

When removing the hood supports, keep in mind that they are spring loaded and you should be okay. They are tough to get back on and you will probably need an alignment bar/pry bar to get them back on.

Have fun.

OP
OP
R

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks to all for your input. The manual made it seem as though I could access all the bolts to the hood support directly. I guess not!!! I'll try your suggestions this afternoon.

Thanks,
Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang