Whats the best year for GTS?

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats the best year for GTS? Pro's Cons? A friend (97 owner) tells me to get a 96 or 97 due to it having a more Radical Cam and forged pistons. The Blue with White Stripes has always been my favorite. I didn't want to buy used due to how most of these cars are driven (not easy) but if I could find a super clean low mile 97 Blue/White GTS I might consider it. What are Blue 97's going for today and can you get one with a warranty if you go thru a dealer like Woodhouse or Buhler?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 96 owners will say 96.
The 97 owners will say 97.
I say 98. Still has the cam and the alarm switch will come in handy.
The 99 owners will say 99.
The 00 owners will say 00.
The 01 owners will say 01.
The 02 owners will say 02.

The topic's been played.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Originally posted by agentf1:
Whats the best year for GTS?

(A) You'll get different answers from different enthusiasts.

Want indestructable pistons? 96-99

Want ABS? 01-02

Want 17" wheels? 96-98

Want blue/white? 96-97

Want a specific color? well, then go with the year where it was in production (obviously)

All in all, there are no years to avoid in GEN II Vipers.

(Q)Pro's Cons? A friend (97 owner) tells me to get a 96 or 97 due to it having a more Radical Cam and forged pistons.

(A) 97 - supposedly "****" cam

The Blue with White Stripes has always been my favorite.

(A) '96-'97

I didn't want to buy used due to how most of these cars are driven (not easy)

(A) Not true, many Viper owners truly baby these cars. We have MANY members in NJ that have absolutely NO track miles, and have NEVER even exceeded the speed limit.

but if I could find a super clean low mile 97 Blue/White GTS I might consider it.

(A) Talk to our friendly sponsor dealers. There will surely be some Snakes entering the market as the SRT's production gets closer.

What are Blue 97's going for today and can you get one with a warranty if you go thru a dealer like Woodhouse or Buhler?

(A) Through a dealer? Probably from $50-55K ... some may still have existing extended warranties, others may still be able to be provided with a used car warranty.

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
The 96 owners will say 96.
The 97 owners will say 97.
I say 98. Still has the cam and the alarm switch will come in handy.
The 99 owners will say 99.
The 00 owners will say 00.
The 01 owners will say 01.
The 02 owners will say 02.

The topic's been played.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

96 - 99 high profile cam
01 - 02 ABS but no high profile cam

What's this about the alarm switch?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Bilberry:

What's this about the alarm switch?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In 98 they added a switch in the glove box to disable the alarm so you're not left stranded like I was one night in my 97.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Color choice should drive this decision on a used GTS. If the blue and white stripe is your favorite color combination then get a '96-97.

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by agentf1:
..... The Blue with White Stripes has always been my favorite. I didn't want to buy used due to how most of these cars are driven (not easy) but if I could find a super clean low mile 97 Blue/White GTS I might consider it. What are Blue 97's going for today and can you get one with a warranty if you go thru a dealer like Woodhouse or Buhler?

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look and you will find one. I bought my car last march with 410 miles on it. I knew the car and the owner from the day he bought it. Sure i paid more but it was worth every penny. The car just broke 1800 miles and it never gets abused.
I can't comment on the other years as i have not driven any.
I also don't know what these cars are going for. When you see something you like and the price is not ridiculous (and you'll know if it is), have it checked mechanically and for body damage,and if it checks out buy it, you won't regret it.
Now if you want a stock GTS killer zr1 let me know.
devil.gif

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was me-- looking for a gts...
I'd go for the one of a kind-- Blue/Silver...
Can't be too many miles on it!!!

Know which one I'm talking about???

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, FYI, about 1,000 miles so far.
I too was looking for Blue/White but could not pass up on a one-of-a-kind blue/silver - best of all worlds - great color combo and brand spanking new

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte