What's the issue with the Radio going dead?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What\'s the issue with the Radio going dead?

Finally had the chance to get my SRT out, and after about 20 mins. the Radio went dead. That was yesterday.
Woke up this morning and it was good to go. Of course, that only lasted about 20 mins. and it's dead again.

Anybody know exactly what the issue is? I did a search and noticed a couple others with a similiar problem, but never gave results.

I'm guessing it's a Heat issue with the amp?

Any help is appreciated!

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s the issue with the Radio going dead?

Finally had the chance to get my SRT out, and after about 20 mins. the Radio went dead. That was yesterday.
Woke up this morning and it was good to go. Of course, that only lasted about 20 mins. and it's dead again.

Anybody know exactly what the issue is? I did a search and noticed a couple others with a similiar problem, but never gave results.

Any help is appreciated!

you hit the nail on the head casey, the amp is in a terrible spot under the passenger seat and therefore there is no air going over the cooling fins.

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So I'm guessing I probably need a new amp?
I'll bring her in tomorrow morning!

Since she's still stock, I'll still be needing that radio to listen too! :D

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any help is appreciated!

you hit the nail on the head casey, the amp is in a terrible spot under the passenger seat and therefore there is no air going over the cooling fins.

Agree 100%. My dads 05 does it, and my 06 does it. Its a $hitty location for an amp especially if they dont run fans in the amp. Basically you cant max it out, or it will go silent for about 10-15 mins until it cools down. Only fix is to keep the volume down a little bit, and it wont cut off.

Any direct replacement amps available for this? How about a cheap fan fabrication?

Jon

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You could remove the passenger seat!!! Problem solved with the overheating amp!!!! lol ;)

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any help is appreciated!

Agree 100%. My dads 05 does it, and my 06 does it. Its a $hitty location for an amp especially if they dont run fans in the amp. Basically you cant max it out, or it will go silent for about 10-15 mins until it cools down. Only fix is to keep the volume down a little bit, and it wont cut off.

Any direct replacement amps available for this? How about a cheap fan fabrication?

Jon

you could remove the factory amp, cut the wires going to the amp about 12 inches back from the amp harness, and extend the wires long enough to mount the amp in the trunk. But why go through all that trouble you say!!!! Some people just want to keep it stock

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What ever my friendly Viper Tech has to do to correct the problem will be OK with me! :D

Warranties are a good thing occasionally!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you could remove the factory amp, cut the wires going to the amp about 12 inches back from the amp harness, and extend the wires long enough to mount the amp in the trunk. But why go through all that trouble you say!!!! Some people just want to keep it stock

I know I could go through all that, just dont want to cut up the factory harness. Hey, what if we did a SMALL seat raise kit? something like 1/2 an inch or so? Would allow more air around the amp. I'll look to see what it will take to put a quiet fan system on/around it. Then I will sell kits with Viper Tax !! :D

Jon

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm thinking AMP with a Fan is what my Viper Tech may have to put in for me! :D

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What ever my friendly Viper Tech has to do to correct the problem will be OK with me! :D

Warranties are a good thing occasionally!

They cant fix it, its a design flaw. I'm sure replacing the amp wont solve anything. Unless Dodge has released a better amp that cools on its own.

Jon

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This can't be an issue with all the SRT10 can it?
So some AMPs must be Ok.

Are they going to have to give me a New Higher Flowing Exhaust to cool things off a bit?! :D

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

actually a good quality amp with built in fans would solve the shutting down issue. Problem is finding a amp with built in fans samll enough to fit under the seat. Even with built in fans, there still needs clearance on top of the amp to work properly

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

actually a good quality amp with built in fans would solve the shutting down issue. Problem is finding a amp with built in fans samll enough to fit under the seat. Even with built in fans, there still needs clearance on top of the amp to work properly

I looked, there actually is a decent amount of space over the amp and before the seat. So I'm sure there are option of getting something else in there.

Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960