What's the most boost you can run on a Paxton set up

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much boost will the Paxton unit handle? I'm running 10lbs and thinking about going up to 15.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much boost will the Paxton unit handle? I'm running 10lbs and thinking about going up to 15.

It's your crankshaft you have to worry about, anything over 10 and you are putting a lot of stress on the shaft and it will snap. Check out the price of replacement cranks, $5+K

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
14 or 15 isnt really a problem. you do need to take special care when tightening the belt. I broke a crank snout at one point.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run the 3.0 pulley and the largest ATI crank pulley that will fit. It makes 12-12.5 psi, without belt slip. I can't go any higher, so I put the nitrous kit on.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run the 3.0 pulley and the largest ATI crank pulley that will fit. It makes 12-12.5 psi, without belt slip. I can't go any higher, so I put the nitrous kit on.
Wow dude,
Did you build that car up to scare other people,

.....or to scare yourself?

That thing has got to be a handful to drive. :omg:

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I followed your build. Very nice set up!

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like 12-13lbs would be a good safe number. My car is going to be tuned by John Reed at his shop and while there i want to get more power out of it. Im only running 10lbs.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
breaking crank snouts can happen at any boost level and has been happening for years. its usually from over tightening the belt, not the boost.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
breaking crank snouts can happen at any boost level and has been happening for years. its usually from over tightening the belt, not the boost.

Thats good to know. What blower and crank pulley size configuration yields you 15lbs?

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats good to know. What blower and crank pulley size configuration yields you 15lbs?
I think what will get you close would be 2.75 blower pulley and the ATI crank pulley. I don't think Paxton make any smaller.
Pulley

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paxton-Supe...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af50fdc5e&vxp=mtr

ATI Supercharger damper - Part # 917933E
http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=917933E

Anton28 How is the car running so far? I think you will also need a good fuel system or run water/****. I don't remember what you did for your fuel system.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, 2.75 and ATI IIRC.

there is a correct way to tighten the belt, i dont know it, cause i refused to touch it after i broke the crank. i let DLM do it.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does DLM sell that helps the crank pulley setup? I just remembered that they do something to strengthen it at the snout or such.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what will get you close would be 2.75 blower pulley and the ATI crank pulley. I don't think Paxton make any smaller.
Pulley

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paxton-Supe...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af50fdc5e&vxp=mtr

ATI Supercharger damper - Part # 917933E
http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=917933E

Anton28 How is the car running so far? I think you will also need a good fuel system or run water/****. I don't remember what you did for your fuel system.

Car runs good! Very smooth. RSI did a great job with the initial tune its just tuned very lean right now. I do have a full fuel systems and water methenol.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Novi2000 pulleys from places like the Summit/ebay link above won't work on the Viper. The outer flange has to be machined down to the peak of the outer rib, otherwise it will contact the alternator pulley face to face. If you'll notice the pulley that came on the Paxton, that last rib is almost knife-edged, whereas the aftermarket Paxton pulleys have a full lip edge. You can buy one and have a machine shop turn them down pretty easily/cheaply though.

Definitely get the DLM belt tensioner though, that thing works great. Green HD Gates belt is mandatory, IMHO.

Wow dude,
Did you build that car up to scare other people,

.....or to scare yourself?

That thing has got to be a handful to drive.

I get a thrill out of it, but am not scared to drive it. Go for a ride here, this was with less nitrous and on Michelin Pilot tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHUwltKg9vo

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NineBall
Thanks for posting the fact that the pulley needed to be milled down, I forgot to add that. Todd of ACPERFORANCE, does it. Order it from him and he can do it.

Last edited: