What's the scoop on supercharging?

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What\'s the scoop on supercharging?

Before dropping a chunk of change on any big time mods, I was wondering about the supercharging path. Anyone with any experience as to the cost, driveability, problems, advantages of supercharging the Viper? Like everything else with the Viper, I assume it will cost more than the Paxton or Pro Charger setups for other cars, but how much more and why? Thanks!

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: What\'s the scoop on supercharging?

Kid:

There seems to be more and more tuners throwing their hats into the ring when it comes to blowers. You are right in your attempt to do as much research as possible before dropping all of the money into one of these systems.

Some of the players in this game are Doug Levin and SVSi (there are others but my middle aged brain has done a cerebral fart). Both claim to generate some very impressive numbers.

The only tuner that I have seen with customers on this BB is Doug Levin. I've met Doug and seen his work. He is a straight shooter and will disclose as much as you need to know about what makes his systems unique and practical for everyday use.

I got to ride in Gerald's Gen 1 RT that Doug built and I have to say that it was downright scary. The fact that a car is capable of burning rubber through the bottom 4 gears is impressive and insane. The quality of his work is equally impressive. He uses top quality aircraft fittings and components (and he does all of his machining in house).

Everything that I hear about SVSi is that they make top quality products. I have not heard much about their blower systems or their engineering capabilities (or from any of their blower customers about their experiences). In the archives you will find some very biased comments from someone named Paolo. He is quick to criticize other tuners, but provides very few substantive facts about the SVSi system. IMHO his war of words hurts SVSi's credibility. I have always believed that any successful business, should live and die by its customer references.

You also need to decide what goals you have for your car, and how well your driving skills are to match (what your little brain wants). The kind of power that these cars generate can hurt you in the worse way imaginable. In talking to several of these tuners, the one comment that runs true with all of their customers is that most don't have the driving skills to harness the beasts that they bought. It's a miracle that more of the guys that buy these blower cars, don't end up as a dark scorch spots on the pavement.

If you go into the archives for the last 6 months you will find quite a bit of contention among players in opposing camps. My advice to you is to do your homework, check references and visit the tuners that you have short listed (a plane ticket is cheaper than a mistake that costs tens of thousands of dollars).

There are too many tuners out in the Viper world that won't disclose their performance numbers and how they achieve them (but will charge you up the a** for the unknown). There are others who profess to have the most impressive and visible cars, but can't deliver to those who have dropped a bunch of money in their laps (that are paying the lawyers to keep them alive). I don't need to mention any names, because if you really do your homework, you'll find out for yourself. Get away from the hype and do your homework.

Just a footnote, if you do blow your money on a bad tuner, don't come back here and cry about it...because we told you so.

The bottom line is "buyer beware".

Good luck in your search.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is a third Supercharger Manufacturer out there now. He is in Colorado and has had several cars running around for more than a year. His name is Kenny Kerstiens from Golden West Performance and his e-mail is: [email protected] I'm thinking the installed unit, including intercooler, computer, the whole shebang was around $17,000. HP was very high 800+ ?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Venom Lover you only weight 170 lbs., next time we drag you have to put a 100 lb. bag of sand in your passanger seat to make it fair, or do I have to go on a BIG time diet.

Motorless Ron (SoCal Rebell)

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[there is another tuner here on the east coast that did a setup on Jamie Furmans car...ran a 10 sec 1/4 times....it was a hefner supercharger...think it was about 11k...look Jamie up on the board.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Jason Hefner is at [email protected]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike H:
[there is another tuner here on the east coast that did a setup on Jamie Furmans car...ran a 10 sec 1/4 times....it was a hefner supercharger...think it was about 11k...look Jamie up on the board.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ron,

I guess my 100 lb weight advantage helps offset your superior driving skills!!!
You must be registered for see images

Reaction score

I welcome anybody to stop by and see our Supercharging facility at it's finest. I advertise that we supercharge more Vipers than anyone else on the planet -- For good reason!

I have years of R&D in my Viper systems and set my goal towards customer satisfaction. If I build a system, you can be assured it's the finest Supercharger system for your Viper.

We have been running a special for the past month and it made us VERY busy campers. $11,995 installed guaranteed 600 -- 650 HP. Depending on your current mods. *And of course, there is much more margin there for power with that same system, I would prefer to start on the conservative side. No hood cutting, the car can be converted back to stock, and the street ability remains 100% the same. If you have any questions regarding our system feel free to contact me at 305 249-RACE (7223).

Happy Holidays,
Doug Levin

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have taken the opportunity to visit Doug's shop in northern Miami while on vacation. All I can say is "wow." Considering that I do all of my own wrenching, I was able to appreciate Doug's skills and ingenuity more than your average Joe. Doug is a master craftsman. People like him are few and far inbetween. That special price he is offering is rock bottom for such a monster of a creation! I know his shop must be backlogged as a result of his special price. One ride in one of his supercharged Vipers will make you a believer!

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're thinking of putting a blower on? I guess that raises the ante bigtime in our little informal modification battle!

So, are you still pumped to do some big-time mods after reading Brad's cheery comments? I think I would be offended by the "little brain" comment. I know he didn't mean it the way it sounded....

Let me know what you decide to do, Kid. You'll have to take me for a ride some time once you get the blower or LPE engine job (only $32K, right)? My additional 170 lbs in the passenger seat won't matter too much when you have 200-300 more rwhp!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Uhhh.... $11,995 installed???? for 600-650hp?????

HOLY COW - where is my checkbook?????

Doug, I didn't even know this special was running - that is an AMAZING deal! Will this special still be running into early next year? I won't be able to go mod-crazy until the spring, but I would LOVE this kit!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doug's system is freakin' incredible. I just got my car back from doing some upgrades that he now supplies on his system. I did have the SC650HP version. Now? Holy cow! It's alot more!!!
Car runs like a ***** ape with gerbils in the trunk! With the upgraded fuel system, headwork, keyed crank, water injection, etc it makes for a supercharger system that will be working 100% for the next 10 years!
I'll post some pictures today sometime for you guys.

Gerald

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
Uhhh.... $11,995 installed???? for 600-650hp?????

HOLY COW - where is my checkbook?????

Doug, I didn't even know this special was running - that is an AMAZING deal! Will this special still be running into early next year? I won't be able to go mod-crazy until the spring, but I would LOVE this kit!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure how long I can continue this special. After receiving numerous calls for a "customer install system" that we DON'T sell, I decided to lower our level 1 system so that anyone that is considering to install a blower on their Viper can have It installed professionally by Doug Levin Motorsports at an affordable price.

I hope someday you'll have one of our systems on your snake!

Best Regards,
Doug

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doug,

I sincerley like the gerbil in my trunk. But what is with the green bouncy gerbil in your post? Have you switched colors from the brown furry ones? You now like the green bouncy ones with smiley faces? Your sick man, sick... ewwww

another deleted post???

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have ridden in one of Ken Kerstein's cars where the flywheel output was around 700 hp.. It was impressive and seemed very streetable. My concerns are:
1. Ten lbs. of boost is rather high for this engine and I would question the durability of the V10.
2. In his design, he has removed the front crossmember behind the radiator. I wonder how this will affect the frame stiffness and road course handling.
3. There is also a question of the durability of the blower at 60,000 rpm with a self contained oil supply. How long will it last?

On the plus side, he does have an intercooler and there are no mods. to the hood.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 99 RT/10 is having a SC put on by Doug Levin Motorsports as we speak. When I get her back, I am sure I'll have much to say.

Doug has been fantastic on the phone and although I have never been to his shop, he has invited me multiple times (even before I decided to send my Viper to him).

I considered other shops, but Doug was going to be the best quality _and_ the best price.

I'll report all the details when my baby is back in the next one to 3 weeks.

Joseph

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BamBam:
Doug,

Does the installation of your system remove, cut or otherwise modify any part of the Viper's space frame/crossmembers, that might be detrimental to the rigidity of the same? This question is in relation to the post above with regards to the installation of an SC in Ken Kerstein's cars.

Thanks and best regards,

Marc

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Mark,

My SC system does require some cross member modification to accommodate the blower system. In doing so, the cross member is as strong, if not stronger than the original cross member. I can assure you, when I developed my system, I thought-out this to the very last detail. If I can better my design, I will do so. Just like your Viper, no two systems are alike

Regards,
Doug

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:

Is that what I said?! Sometimes a well placed swear word more accurately describes the true feeling. However, since we don't use profanity on this board, I think my first words were "Holy (place adjective here)!!!"

Doug, you build an awesome Viper.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Chuck --
I'm glad you like Gerald's car. It takes a lot more horsepower to make a '94 R/T run like a newer coupe. The newer coupes weigh less and push less wind. Did you notice that we lowered the car?

When your ready let me know. We can build you a blower car to run just as well.

Best wishes for the Holidays,
Doug

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doug,

I cannot get over it! Holy cow! My Viper is a rocket!

Was at ******* last night and met Chuck. Handed him the keys and let him take it for a ride. Well, he came back and said it was quite different that his '98 model. I think he'll be posting soon! Lets just say that he said it felt like when he just bought his viper new being used to his pickup truck...

How 'bout it chuck?
Like the power!?
Gerald

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doug Levin is the Sal Zaino of the supercharged Viper industry! I drove Gerald's Viper last night and it rules! When I get mine supercharged, I'm going to Doug. AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:

quite different than his '98 model.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that what I said?! Sometimes a well placed swear word more accurately describes the true feeling. However, since we don't use profanity on this board, I think my first words were "Holy (place adjective here)!!!"

Doug, you build an awesome Viper.

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan Cragin:
Doug, I have spoken to you on several occasions and am impressed
with your product. We are presently researching an E.O certified supercharger package. Would you like to participate? We will cover the costs on certification.

Dan Cragin
Claude Short Dodge
310 395 2314

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Dan,
I'm always interested in your views and suggestions. Especially since I hear your customers rave good things about you. In time, soon I hope, we need to talk again
. By the way, I run a Borla exhaust system on my snake.

Keep up the great work,
Doug Levin

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Dan, you will really like working with Doug. He is a very straight shooter, and very knowleable. His work is top drawer, and he backs it up with great support.

Doug, Dan is a great guy and I am sure that good things will come out of your work with Dan.

I consider both of you guys, two of the sharpest and most honest people in the Viper community that I have ever encountered (I would also put the Stop Tech guys up there too).

I cannot wait to hear what comes out of this collaboration.

Good luck.

Brad <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan Cragin:
Doug, I have spoken to you on several occasions and am impressed
with your product. We are presently researching an E.O certified supercharger package. Would you like to participate? We will cover the costs on certification.

Dan Cragin
Claude Short Dodge
310 395 2314
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>