What's with the vent system? Hot!

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What\'s with the vent system? Hot!

Well, I'm convinced now that it is warming up. Whenever I put the system on non-AC, vent only, either at the foot or head or whatever, warm air blows out of the outlets. I can feel it, with my hand, under the dash and out the dash. Today, it was 70 but the vents were running at least 90. Where does the car get it's fresh air? Must be sucking it in from a warm source.

This car forces you to run AC even with the top down and outside temps as low as 70.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s with the vent system? Hot!

2802003_Viper_SRT-10_cutaway_900x644.jpg

Yes, it would have to be. Interesting. I've experienced the same thing with other cars.

Not sure if the cutaway will help, but there it is, all the same. :)

You must be registered for see images

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the heater valve probably isn't closed all the way when you have the temp knob on cool....unless other SRT's report the same problem.

Warp10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Since the temperatures have climbed into the 70's and 80's the cockpit has been getting very warm even with the top down. The A/C helps to make it tolerable, but I still end up sweating a good bit after a 15 - 20 mile drive. I had the unfortunate experience of parking the car with the top up and locked at the doctors office the other day. I came out one hour later and the inside was a "cooker". Even after driving with the top down, it took a while to get comfortable.

GregSRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree it's generic. It's worst if the car has been run and is then parked. The ducting must get hot and be a heat sink...because it blows hot air for a long while if you just leave it on vent.

My experience: cool the whole thing off with A/C. It can cool the footwells, too. Takes a bit of fiddling to get the temps and airflow right, but then it's happy camper time. A must in the hot Southwest.

fixumm

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Same problem my feet are always hot so I put the A/C at the floor and it just blows hot air up at me. It is only in the 60's here now what will it be like when it is 80+.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In the short time I had my SRT, I found that playing with the angle of the sun visor had a _MAJOR_ positive impact on tolerability of the footwell heat. Start with the visor perpendicular to the ground, then move it a few degrees forward or aft to see where it gives you the most benefit. It didn't work going 0-15 mph, but at normal street speeds and higher, I found no need to run the A/C at all. That was a month ago in Texas when the temps were already hitting the 90's.

Give it a try and report back... :)

Yours Truly,

the SRT "hater" ;)

Twosnakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the Sun visor advise, I'll try it.
My feet are on fire after 50 miles.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I also find that hot air comes from the vents when the AC is off. The problem is the worst while sitting in LA traffic as that's when the heat from the exhaust system bakes my feet. I learned early about the visor air dam concept but unfortunately that doesn't work when you are going at 2 mph on the freeway.
On the up side...I just made a round trip run to Phoenix from LA. It was 107 and the AC worked great! On the way back it was 115 in the desert and the interior was cool. the Viper was running about 200 oil temp and barely over 200 water temp on the entire way home. On one stretch, I drove about 80 with the AC on and averaged 21 MPG.
On the way out with the AC off, I averaged 16 but that was between 90-100 with one run at 150. Oh yeah... the top was down. Temps: oil-195, water-under 200.

Twosnakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice!!!
I can't wait to get the SRT broken in.Only 200 miles in 5 weeks.
It rains here every other hour (PA), maybe this weekend....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960