wheel hop!!

ol kwik 2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my stock 2002 started a bad habit last year of wheel hopping. even from a roll on the street. On the strip the only way to leave was to slip clutch big time but i hate that.. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think PS2's sound like a good idea as many have said this helps the wheel hop. I don't currently have PS2's however.

I would strongly consider the poly mounts and poly tranny mount also as this cured my wheel hop problem and was fairly inexpensive to do.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of great suggestions. Biggest culprit is tires. Try inflating to 36, then 40, then 44 PSI and note the difference in launch. I have noticed little difference in hop with adjusted shock settings. Fresh tires will always provide better launch control.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motons = $hocks

Also have heard lighter wheels will help. The OE wheels are heavy compared to some of the aftermarket selections.

I think 6666 is BS'n on this one and he knows better.:rolaugh::rolaugh: The hopping problem has been around with Vipers since day 1. Look at the archives on the subject. Mounts won't help either. Been there done that!! The tire change will work for a while til the rubber gets hard. The problem is the A arms twisting and not being rigid. Remember the springs and taction bar set ups that (we) had to be use to keep springs from wrapping and differential from twisting. Still used 4 link setups. Same thing is happening here and it was also on the Vets independent but not so bad because GM used the front trailing arm (solid) that hoppped bad when the rubber bushings wore out. Some one will make a mint when they come up with a way to keep the A arms from twisting on the rubber mounts. That's what causes the wheel hop. Soft new tires are just a bandaid til they wear down and get hard. Be careful with the hop because it can do some major damage. Usually if you get em spinning goood you can get through it. :dunno:LOL

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I certainly would not say my motive was to provide false information. I've searched every post here and at the Alley about wheel hop. The things I listed are simply repeating what others have said worked for them.

I read, I absorb, and I repeat what looks viable when someone asks. That is not BS.

On the suspension parts flexing. I will not argue that for a minute. What are the choices there? Do we have reasonable options when it comes to stiffening our suspensions? I suspect not.

The list of obtainable mods that other drivers have claimed success with has been pretty well repeated in this thread. I'm not about to say you win Ray until I've worked my way down the list and found no improvement.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got rid of a lot of my wheel hop by adjusting the rear shocks to the stiffest setting. It's not gone but it's a lot better than it was.

Bo

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found that the stock shock settings were all set to a different setting from the factory. The settings ranged from full-soft to full stiff. I took the advice of Tator and ajusted them to med-stiff (2.5 turns) and most of the hop was gone. I also replaced my engine mounts, including the trans mount, with Woodhouse mounts and I don't notice the wheel hop anymore. I plan on replacing my tires with PS2's this spring as my tires are currently 8 years old...

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The list of obtainable mods that other drivers have claimed success with has been pretty well repeated in this thread. I'm not about to say you win Ray until I've worked my way down the list and found no improvement.

:DDave, I just got to get the tease in. I've been looking at the trying to solve the problem on 2 different cars and also been all over these post and the Alley. Seems everyone has a 'fix' but never really gets rid of the hop. The new tires, soft rubber, grips and hop is gone until they harden or wear and spin easy. Stiffening the shocks helps because it helps keep A arms put. Needs to be a traction bar setup designed to keep the lower from twisting like the old spring wrap traction bars. Lots of helps but never hear any 'it's gone altogethers.'The answer. 4 link a Viper. :lmao:

OP
OP
O

ol kwik 2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys are great/entertaing. I sorta figured it would not be easy, but i am going to play w/it. I also agree with the fact all will help so i will start cheap/easy and work my way forward. I am a drag racer from the 60's, and i am loving this handfull of car..Thanks again for your replies!!