Wheel polishing on 97 GTS

NZGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all,
finally heading home and get a chance to get some jobs done on my baby, one thing that has been bothering me is that my stock wheels are slightly dulled.
I am thinking about either polishing them and then laquering them or getting them chromed.
Has anyone hand polished their wheels before and how much shine can you get out of them? did you clear coat them after to save on work or just let them fad again ready for another polish?
Has anyone chromed their wheels?

any stories and or pics would be most welcomed.

thanks

Craig

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as you have the forged wheels(96 were cast, heard soem of the cast wheels made it to a few of the early 97s too), chroming would be fine. Great finbish and easy to clean up. :2tu:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 forged wheels are noticably duller than my '98 forged wheels. Just the way they were made.
Since they are clearcoated not much you can do unless you plan to strip them down and refinish.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the clearcoat and polished mine by hand. Had to polish once a month, but they looked like chrome.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had LA Tire and Wheel chrome a set of wheels for me. $775 for the set plus shipping. They look fantastic! Way better than any polished wheel I've ever seen.

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheels America refinished mine (all four), including taking some curb rash off the edges for $429....they look brand new.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen Cal Chromes work on factory wheels also, top notch. Not sure of the price, maybe around $200 a wheel??

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper wheels? Stripped the clearcoat and high polished?

Yessir, the stock 17s...but oops, checked the invoice and it was actually $439. They originally told me $110 per wheel when I took them in but I told them to take their time and didn't hold them to their usually promised 24-48 hour turnaround. I also took them in loose from the car and with no tires mounted as I was putting new ones on when the wheels were done. Picked the up about four days later expecting $440 plus 8% tax but $439 it was.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yessir, the stock 17s...but oops, checked the invoice and it was actually $439. They originally told me $110 per wheel when I took them in but I told them to take their time and didn't hold them to their usually promised 24-48 hour turnaround. I also took them in loose from the car and with no tires mounted as I was putting new ones on when the wheels were done. Picked the up about four days later expecting $440 plus 8% tax but $439 it was.

This place? Wheels America looks like I have to go to Miami.

Did they re-shoot them with clearcoat afterwards?

OP
OP
N

NZGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
any pics? of the chromed or polished ones?

here are what mine look like at present.

Attachments

• opened up.jpg
    opened up.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 16
  • wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 21

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did they re-shoot them with clearcoat afterwards?

Yes....clear powdercoat. They told me they completely strip them down, work out any scratches, repair any dings or grind marks (adding metal if necessary as they had to do on the edge of one of my fronts), checked for trueness and runout, and polish them out before the clear coat....they literally looked brand new. I was considering aftermarket wheels, but was glad I didn't do it after seeing them redone. Plus I saved a ton of money and kept the original look....I'm not a big fan of chrome or polished wheels on performance cars, but these wheels just look right on the Vipers to me for some reason.

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes....clear powdercoat. They told me they completely strip them down, work out any scratches, repair any dings or grind marks (adding metal if necessary as they had to do on the edge of one of my fronts), checked for trueness and runout, and polish them out before the clear coat....they literally looked brand new. I was considering aftermarket wheels, but was glad I didn't do it after seeing them redone. Plus I saved a ton of money and kept the original look....I'm not a big fan of chrome or polished wheels on performance cars, but these wheels just look right on the Vipers to me for some reason.

I don't care for chrome either but I like the high polish and I also like the 17-inch style. Getting more difficult to get tire choices for it though.

Looks like I'll be giving Wheels America Miami a call. Thanks for the info.

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the center caps? Did you have them done also or do they still look OK with the new polished wheels?

They were in good shape to begin with, but they went ahead and cleaned them up and buffed them out a little....they matched up with the wheels fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte