Wheels - Powder coat vs. Paint ?!

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I've been looking to get my 10 spoke wheels powder coated black, but living in the 'middle of nowhere' doesn't help finding a place CLOSE BY that can do it so I was wondering what YOU guys think / would prefer - get the wheels powder coated OR just painted ?

Pros and Cons would be appreciated if anyone has done either.

Thanks for any input :2tu:

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no doubt that the powder coating will withstand rock chips and such much better then paint, but if done correctly the paint will look the same as powder coating.

Wouldn't hurt to try, if it doesn't work, just have them powder coated later :)

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My powder coater won't do anything cast/forged without a bubble waiver unless he can use his special-for-castings powders which only come in black, white and ugly industrial beige, plus they need a clearcoat to withstand UV. So make sure your guy cares about such concerns.

OP
OP
D

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys ....... good infos so far ! :2tu:

Well Phoenix, THAT'S my problem - I don't have anyone here locally that can do P-coating :smirk: - so it's EITHER gonna be 'painting' OR sending them wheels off to someone to be P-coated, but I would HATE to be 'Snake-less' for weeks and weeks :blah:

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had black wheels on a bunch of cars. Most of them were powdercoated, but the black Motorsport wheels that I had on my Z06 were painted. Honestly, I didn't notice a difference. I got rock chips on both.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Powder coating is more durable and resists heat better than paint.

That said, unless you track your car I doubt that you'll notice much difference.

Paint comes in a wide variety of colors while powder coating is much more limited color wise.

I'd just paint them in your preferred color and not worry about it.

Dan

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i had mine painted. it was faster and cheaper, and i figured i could always get them PC'd if i wanted. i am very pleased with how they turned out. do a search and you will see pics. XDC Motorsports in Atlanta did it, and i highly recommend them.

Billy The Kidd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my sidewinders powder coated. One wheel had to be redone due to "breathing bubbles" from the aluminum. The factory clear coat over the wheels must be removed in order to powder coat. That exposes the raw aluminum. I would recommend bringing the wheels to a good body shop. They can just scuff the factory clear, leaving the aluminum sealed, and have them painted. Hope this helps and make sure to post some pics when you are done.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visually they are the same, but PC is more durable and resists chips much better. It is also more resistant to chemicals and stains.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If painted is done correctly, they can be AS durable as PC. The advantage of painted wheels is that you can re-touch them if you do get some chips...you won't be able to do that with powdercoating...

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paint holds up rather well, for track use it's true that powder is obviously more durable.

The types of brake pads you use is also something to consider. Certain pads just love to change the color of the clear coat on painted wheels. Stock pads seem fine.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL!

I like her two handed spray technique

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whUUCUE3Q7c&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5eK5OnHfqA[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3s4nMR0yxk&feature=related[/media]

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:rolaugh: ... that was great !

Off to Autozone I am :lmao:

Thanks for all the infos everyone, I guess I'll get them painted IF I find a competent shop around here :2tu:

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is really not that hard...just takes some time to do the preppin'.

This is what I started with on mine...a set of straight CCW's...that needed a little refinishing...

You must be registered for see images

After a few coats of high heat temp and paint, they ended up like this...

But they needed a little more...so a thin lip/stripe was added to it...

I was very tempted to do it to the stockers, but...these are considerably lighter...

pcc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Powder coated looks great but is costly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang