When do Hoosiers "go away"...

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When do Hoosiers \"go away\"...

Well I just finished my 3rd track day on Hoosiers at Buttonwillow. These tires are GREAT, I was a big fish in a little pond. I ran with the Alfa club and I had the fastest time in the time trials out of 87 cars (including full race prepped cars).

Now to the point, this is my first set of Hoosiers approx. how many track days can I expect to get out of them. it was hot the last session and I slid quite a bit but controlable. So all you Hoosier racers out there how will I know when my tires are shot?

Need to know quick I'm doing Willow Springs this Sat, Sun. and the following Wed.

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: When do Hoosiers \"go away\"...

As to remaining rubber, there are little dimples that run diagonally across the tread face. If they are flat (i.e., barely or no dimple discernible), then they are about done.

As far as the rubber going away, they'll feel greasier/looser. I have yet to feel a big enough difference with mine such that I felt a need to change them if they still had appreciable rubber on them. If, however, you are being timed and want to clip a fast lap, then pre-cured, new tires are a must. What I mean by pre-cured is the break in procedure described on the Hoosier website. It requires you to have two sets of wheels though. I am not convinced that "heat cycling" by the Tire Rack is really enough/effective. This break in procedure is more for tire life than speed.

You can drive sticker tires and still get great times, but they will probably never be as fast again if they do not get the 24 hours down/cure time needed. How much time one loses by not following the prescribed procedure is anybody's guess.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have been running Hoosiers since 1996, & have had awesome results. Without a proper brake in, (waiting at least 3 or 4 days after the first heat cycle) I have found that the tires , while still usable, are never as fast. If I qualify on stickers, They will be fast that day, & then I use them to practice or for enduro tires. The Hoosier web sight has the proper brake in procedures, & like most high performance parts, the manufact. usually knows best. When I can afford to heat cyle properly, they last & are fast for quite a long time. My modus o at the track is to buy a set , do about 10 to 15 laps eventually getting them hot. Then I put em in the trailer for next time. This has given me a tire that is FAST for qualifing & last long time. In fact I recently sold a set of these tires that I : heat cycled @ sebring, qualified & raced @ road atlanta, practiced 2 sessions @ lime rock & a practice @ Kershaw SC(A sandy rough track), a fellow racer was in a bind, he gave me $450 for the set & ran them in an enduro that day! I was going to throw them away! The point is , A heat cycled & cured tire will last about twice as long & if its important to you, will remain faster longer. I also find that Hoosier reccomends 42 to 44 psi hot, the tire seems less sticky @ this pressure, but testing & has showed in the long run it is faster longer, with much better wear. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Soooo, since I don't have a second set of Purner wheels how's this as a next best thing: If I track for a weekend how about on Sat. just before my last session I have the new Hoosiers put on at the track wheel shop, run my last session and let it cure overnight? It'll only be about 18 hours of curing but I'm sure better the 1 1/2 hours it cured between sessions the last time. What do ya think? Any other opinions?

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I cure them too and after that they last about 16 heat cycles. For me that's two track weekends where you get about 4 run sessions per day. After that I've still got rubber, but they're greasy and feel about like hot Pilot Sports.

I've never cured them <ahem> legally, since like you I don't have TWO sets of Purner wheels. So what I do is mount em up the weekend before and go out and do the initial heat cycle on some fast country roads nearby. Not good I realize ... screaming around through the backwoods at as close to track speeds as I can. Can't wait to explain that one ... "Well officer, I know I was doin 130mph, but I just have to cure these track tires." <clink, sound of key being thrown away>

Then I take them off like they recommend and use em the following weekend.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That certainly will be better than not. Make sure you take the wheels off the car, or put the car on jack stands so they don't flat spot. Another way for one rim set, if you have trackside support, buy your new set before your last session & scub them in, making sure to get them off the car as not to flat spot them.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is gonna get expensive!!!!!!

Anyone else wanna chime in on options? Khomo 700s? Anything else?

Maybe I should buy some of Adelbergs' used Hoosiers.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It all a matter of degrees, I have run on Khumo's with good results. We had khumos @ the 24hours of moroso & came in 2nd, behind the Hoosier equipped car. They (the Hoosiers)were 1 second a lap quicker in simular cars. But.............we went throug a set of Khumo's every 5 to 6 hours, the Hoosiers were lucky to go 3!
Now for non competitive track events, The Khumos will last 2 to 3 times as long. They go away if you abuse them, but if you back off a little they come right back. They have enough tread if unshaved, can be used in wet conditions & if you shave them, they are pretty quick & will last longer than unshaved. And they are CHEAP!
The question is, what do you want to do with them? I like/want to win, so I spend the money. When I started racing many years ago, I asked my car builder, if I should by the latest header for my car, he asked the cost,about $600. He said buy a new set of tires & drive them till they cord. He was right, new tires are worth more than the cost. I then bought a new set of tires for every race & did quite well with a piece o crap race car. everyone was amazed at the cars performance, especially when they looked at how stock the car was. People were convinced we were cheating & had some trick motor! I used to sell my used tires to my competitors (and still do)!
On the khumos, Ryan Rouleau put on a new set of unshaved Khumos on his gen 1 viper this weekend @ road atlanta & he was giving those Z06's fits. The car seemed to stic well & they look like they are brand new.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the best answer to your question, "when do Hoosiers go away"... When I am done with them! Anyone wants to let go of some used Hoosiers, I am always looking...

Ron, my way of racing is not the fastest, but it helps me get track time. A wise old racer once told me, find a class to race in where you can afford to spend as much as the biggest spender, otherwise you won't be competative. OK, I threw that right out the window. These Viper guys are nuts! Myself included...

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a set of 18's 275 & 335 Hossiers with one heat cycle like new, They were given to me by a sponsor but I run 17's, Make an offer.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lil Schuey:
Can somebody please put together a Hoosier heat cycling primer for Rupert so he doesn't get mistreated in his own house again?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

His house??? If you want to avoid any messy lawsuits, I suggest you refer to my new summer home as "The House Formerly Known as Rupert's".

As for the Hoosiers...I usually get almost 2 weekends out of them and have never taken one off that doesn't show cords. I then give them to Adelberg and he gets about another 6 weekends out of them.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lil Schuey:
Apparently, Rupert's Hoosiers "went away" during the first session of OTC...It's a good thing you "made him miss a session" because those tires were already spent or something. I mean...they had to be...3 cars beat him at his own track. One of them on street tires, no less. Can somebody please put together a Hoosier heat cycling primer for Rupert so he doesn't get mistreated in his own house again?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brian, I got the videotape of OTC and they had an interview with Rupert, he said the reason he kept going off was that he used a different brake pad and wasn't used to it, bwwaaahhhahahaha.

Ken, I'm gonna run with NASA this weekend at WSIR, that will be 5 track days on the Hoosiers and they'll come off, should I hold them for you or toss em'?

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PMUM, Rumor is Ken has developed a revolutionary new method of renewing Hoosiers by packing them with red clay found only in remote locations around Thunderhill.

Does the acquisition of your Las Vegas summer home mean we will see you sporting the Rupert wardrobe collection?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you sell your half worn out race tires for half price, you both paid the same, but you got the good half.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the ancient race gods secret of adding heat cycles to Hoosiers. Tom, my special Thunderhill mud mask will be available at all Viper days events soon. Please be advised it is not flame retardant when competing with Woodhouse for the farthest off track excursion. Does anyone sell re-treads for Hoosiers?