where can I get some underdrive pulleys

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im looking at either the crank pulley or a full set including alt, p.s, water pump etc

Which way should I go? and who sells what? and prices?

im pointing towards a set

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try:
Dave Schotz, if he has any left
He is in Mesa Arizona; [email protected]
(last email known to me)
If you use a smaller pulley, you will need a shorter belt which will be a 6 rib belt, no 7 rib belts in the shorter length. No problem, I have had the 25% aluminum pulley, and the belt for over a year now.
You will like the pulley.
Later,

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive always wondered if they are really worth the expense? I would like some feedback from somebody who has already done it. How much horsepower was the increase?

Thanks
Max

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 5.9L underdrive pulley - it's one less rib on the belt. Can't speak to power increase, but the accessories run slower. After lots and lots of autocross, have never had an issue with exploding power steering pumps, so I assume the slower pump speed helped.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 5.9L underdrive pulley - it's one less rib on the belt. Can't speak to power increase, but the accessories run slower. After lots and lots of autocross, have never had an issue with exploding power steering pumps, so I assume the slower pump speed helped.
Tom just hit the nail on the head.that is where you will see your best gains,the 5.2,5.9 and 8.0 share the same crank pulley(not water pump or alt.)the average cost is approx$80 and the one less rib wont hurt.just limit to a 25%underdrive as your charging system will require a higher idle to maintain with a 50% underdrive.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also can say that I have had NO charging problems in over a year now.
Here is some "stuff" I sent out LASTT year after I installed my 25% Pulley:

I just received and installed the 25% smaller/lighter aluminum drive pulley, offered by Dave Schotz.
Here are the specs:
Stock Pulley ( with Air Cond.) 2 lbs. 7 oz.; 7 in. Dia.; 77.6 in. belt (7rib)
25% under Aluminum Pulley: 1 lb. 0 oz.; 5 1/2 in Dia.; 74.7 in. belt (6 rib)
(Requires purchase of shorter belt - any auto parts store; price $20-$35)
The pulley is made from billet aluminum

Runs good and charges at 14 + amps with AC and Radio, a slight dim when lights added at idle, but recovers instantly.
He has 3 left.
Anyone else you know of that might be interested !!

Don Ruckman
From the seller, Dave Schotz:

You are looking at 3-5 HP for the 25% And up to 10 HP for the 50% Reduction. These pulleys Retail for $400.00...

************************************************************************************

From Jerry Scott, VCA Member:

I have had Dave's 25% pulley on the car for 2 years and have had no charging problems. Don't know what power it makes, since I have never dynoed it.
Jerry Scott

***************************************************************************************
From Dan Cragin:
We have tried many types of reduction pulleys over the years. Before and after dyno results have shown no measurable change in hp. On our race vehicles we have found that slowing down the water pump and power steering pump help cool the vehicle better at high rpm and reduce power steering fluid temps.
just my experience,
****************************************************************************************

OP
OP
F

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so does anyone actually make a complete pulley kit for a viper? and if so who does?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a full set on my '94 back in '95. Can't say it was worth the trouble. I'd put the $$ into some other mod first.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything about an underdrive pulley makes sense. I'm sure under the right conditions the stock pulley is better, such as police car would encounter at night, running everything at once. I'm sure its worth a few HP and the idea that yo're not spinning all the acc's on the car at high rpm is gotta be a good thing. 25%less is quite a bit, never experienced a drawback, and I ran a 14.7 lb Oddasey battery, run the A/C, no problem. I have an 03 SRT and I'm looking for a pulley now to go on it.

Skip White

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinusbeats