Where does DC go from here?

safireviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Except for ones in denial and the " my car company - right or wrong " crowd, is there much hope Mercedes Benz is going to step up to the plate and answer the challenge by GM with the new Z06? The press time given to this new car is very similar to the Viper when it was first introduced and then upgraded to a GTS and then ACR and SRT model. I'm a huge and always been Mopar fan -( former Superbird (2) and AAR 'Cuda owner ) It was so awesome to get my ACR and present it to my three Corvette buddies who could only reply - this car is in a league of it's own and better. DC - MUST! - and quickly - return the Viper to the top of the heap ( in stock form ) or sales will fall and ultimately be discontinued.
I'm hoping ( I really am )that they will but I'm afraid I may be the one now in denial...

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think DC will step up but if they don't it really does not matter to me. Even if they don't make another Viper I've got the one I want and plan on keeping. With my mods I don't have to worry about the Z06 or most anything else. The GTS is has lines that are destined to be a classic and IMO is one of the best looking if not the best looking car ever built. Nothing GM has ever built has the look or lines of a GTS. The new Z is nice but when I am ready to buy another sports car it will be another GTS either the FE or 96/97 bw. If you want it faster add turbos or superchargers. The Viper will always be a better platform to build a power house from. :usa:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it that dire? I just bought a new Viper even though I could have bought a new Z06 for the same money and my last car was a Vette. I still like Vettes but I'm looking for the Viper experience (total, not just driving). The Vette experience needs improvement, servicing in particular.

How much horsepower can you use on the street? Perhaps DC can improve the refinement without hurting reliability or find a way to increase the Viper's performance without adding cubes and worsening the gas mileage.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Easy.

1) Lighter.

2) More Power.

It's that simple.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is it's already in planning and testing. But I agree with 2ManyToys... I think the Viper is an outstanding car stock... if you want more power go with a supercharger or turbo. I love my SRT-10 vert, Comp Coupe and the new 1st Edition SRT-10 coupe... Oh... I love my new ford also :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
now you did it, don't say refinement or all hell will break loose.

Not to mention "gas mileage." I actually laughed when I read that.

I'm not sure Viperbilliam is capable of appreciating the "total Viper experience."

Bill,
We don't care about gas mileage.
We don't want refinement.
We like cubes.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know many of you don't care about gas mileage but many of you don't have the Viper as a daily driver. Even as a daily driver the gas mileage won't be a problem if you're wealthy as many of you are. Anyway, give me some time.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm far from wealthy and my "non-"daily driver 98 Viper has 99,500 miles on it.

If you think about it I think you will realize how comical it is to be considering fuel economy in regards to a 505 cubic inch high-performance car.

Now, the new Z06 gets 87 mpg/highway and 56 mpg/city. And talk about refinement, wow! That's the car to buy!

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The new Z06 may very well be the best thing to ever happen to the Viper. It will force the engineers at SRT (who are a very dedicated bunch and really want to be on top) to go back to the drawing board and really present something great for gen IV.

Personally, I think it will be lighter, more powerful and will probably have some type of electronic stability control (that can be turned off).

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's to hoping they stay true to the original intent of the Viper... screw what everyone else thinks. But hey, I'm just a optimist. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960