Where in Service Manual can i find Instructions on how to change Diff Fluid?

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was reading past posts on how to change Differential Fluid and noticed several people mentioned how the Service Manual would help greatly on most DIY maintenance. Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me where in the Service Manual can i find instructions on how to change Differential Fluid?

I can't seem to find it in my Service Manual, so perhaps i got the wrong one (2002, says Service Manual on the cover)?

Mind you, i already have some idea as to how to change it thanks to all the posts regarding the steps, but due to curiosity and the need to have something as a reference for future DIY projects i can't seem to find this (changing Differential Fluid) in my 2002 Service Manual.

Thank you.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 4 manuals to my '01. Three are diagnostic, and one is the service manual. It is about 1-1/2" thick, and the others are about 1/2" thick.

If they did indeed leave out the diff fluid procedure, it was likely because they were embarrassed that there is no drain plug, and they couldn't figure out how to explain that you need to **** the old stuff out, and pump the new in.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can drill out one of the lower cover plate bolts into the reservoir. That makes that coverplate bolt the drain plug. The hole is small (had to be less diameter than the threaded hole) so it is slow to drain, but convenient.

Otherwise, search the archives because someone showed how to drill a bigger drain hole.

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I've already searched the archives and have somewhat of an idea now as to how to change the Diff Fluid.

Specifically however, i'm curious as to where others have found the procedure to change Diff Fluid in their service manual (since i can't seem to locate it in my SM and others have posted that this can be found in the SM). Unless i got the wrong manual or as Dave6666 put it, they intentionally left it out because they were too embarrassed b/c there's no drain plug.

Thanks again.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I've already searched the archives and have somewhat of an idea now as to how to change the Diff Fluid.

Specifically however, i'm curious as to where others have found the procedure to change Diff Fluid in their service manual (since i can't seem to locate it in my SM and others have posted that this can be found in the SM). Unless i got the wrong manual or as Dave6666 put it, they intentionally left it out because they were too embarrassed b/c there's no drain plug.

Thanks again.

I'll give a skim through and see if I can find it tonight, but I think you're right, it's not listed in the service manual.

Incidentally...since you're a Viper owner, if you'll put your VIN # in your profile, I can update your status to Viper Owner rather than Enthusiast. Nobody can see it but the site administrators, so no security concerns.

And..you're in an area that has a very active VCA Chapter...we'd love for you to join us!!! If you'd like info about the club, you can shoot Lee00BlackSilverGTS a PM (he's our President), or myself and I'll do what I can for you....This is going to be a great year!

Info on club benfits is listed HERE

and you can register for the club online HERE

You can see the summarized calendar of events for the year for the VA/MD region HERE

:D

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you, Kelly (Kcobean) for all the informations in joining VCA, i'll definitely consider it! Would be nice to join you guys for drives and see other Vipers (other than mine) on the road.

By the way, i've skimmed every page in my 2002 service manual, and it doesn't have instructions on how to replace diff fluid.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you, Kelly (Kcobean) for all the informations in joining VCA, i'll definitely consider it! Would be nice to join you guys for drives and see other Vipers (other than mine) on the road.

By the way, i've skimmed every page in my 2002 service manual, and it doesn't have instructions on how to replace diff fluid.

We'd love to have you!! We're a pretty well behaved crowd most of the time. :D

As for the diff fluid change, it's listed on page 3-14 of the service manual for the 2001. It's under "Standard Procedure - Drain and Refill", and this is the text:

1) Drive the vehicle until the differential lubricant is at the normal operating temperature.
2) Raise vehicle on hoist.
3) Remove differential fill plug.
4) Install a fluid transfer suction pump into the rear axle fill hole. Remove (draw out) the axle lubricant from the axle assembly. Completely remove old fluid from axle.
5) The rear axle fluid capacity is 45 Fl Oz, including additive. Add one four ounce container of Mopar Limited Slip Additive, then fill the rear axle with Mopar Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant 75W-140.
6) reinstall differential fill plug. Tighten fill plug to 21 N-m (15 ft-lbs).

There you go!

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We'd love to have you!! We're a pretty well behaved crowd most of the time. :D

As for the diff fluid change, it's listed on page 3-14 of the service manual for the 2001. It's under "Standard Procedure - Drain and Refill", and this is the text:

1) Drive the vehicle until the differential lubricant is at the normal operating temperature.
2) Raise vehicle on hoist.
3) Remove differential fill plug.
4) Install a fluid transfer suction pump into the rear axle fill hole. Remove (draw out) the axle lubricant from the axle assembly. Completely remove old fluid from axle.
5) The rear axle fluid capacity is 45 Fl Oz, including additive. Add one four ounce container of Mopar Limited Slip Additive, then fill the rear axle with Mopar Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant 75W-140.
6) reinstall differential fill plug. Tighten fill plug to 21 N-m (15 ft-lbs).

There you go!

Thank you so much for taking the time skimming through the manual and looking for that. Apparently, i was looking in the wrong section of the manual!

For future reference, in the 2002 Service Manaul, this is listed on page 3-15 under "Standard Procedure - Drain and Refill as well.

Thank you again!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you so much for taking the time skimming through the manual and looking for that. Apparently, i was looking in the wrong section of the manual!

For future reference, in the 2002 Service Manaul, this is listed on page 3-15 under "Standard Procedure - Drain and Refill as well.

Thank you again!

Glad to help. I still can't figure out how they decided on the layout for this manual. They took what would seem to be common systems (tranny and diff for example) and spread 'em all over the book....weird.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960