Where is it coming from?

ohno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think my radiator is shot. I parked it earlier this morning and went back to it a couple of hours later it prep it for wash. That's when I discovered a coolant trail coming from underneath the car. Its not a steady leak, but the drops are coming off of the forward passenger side frame. The hose above it is dry and secure from what I've seen, so I don't know. Here are the pictures I've taken so far. Any help on possible leak points on the radiator (non are to simple nor to complicated) would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to go investigate some more

You must be registered for see images attach

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year is your Viper?

Stock or aftermarket radiator?

Do you have any fluid in your 2ndary reservoir. In the facia/bumper?

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ohno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't specify earlier: 98'GTS

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As asked...what is the level of coolant in the overflow bottle in the nose? And, what is the level of coolant in the pressure bottle(under the hood)?

Could be bad pressure cap, vacuum leak around return hose from overflow bottle, possible leak in nose bottle from the fastener below it driven upward when curb tapped.

Oh yeah...could be radiator!!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing to inspect once you get under there with a flashlight is a 96/97/98 common problem: Leaky timing cover gasket. Mine leaked coolant down to the frame so it was hard to find the source of the leak at first.

OP
OP
O

ohno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats the thing; all of the fluid levels are ok considering I just fixed a separate cooling problem http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/645060-sudden-cooling-problem-after-relocation.html.

I bought the car with an aftermarket radiator already installed back around the beginning of last year. The only thing that was done by that time was me flushing the coolant right when I got it and then me taking it to dealer to flush the coolant around December.

I also forgot to add a picture. This was the frame before I wiped it down

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would tighten all the radiator hoses the wipe down the frame and take it for a drive to see if it is still leaking, also if the hoses were not replaces when they changed the radiator they could now be cracked on the inside where it meats the radiator allowing fluid to leak out even if its tight, if its a new radiator I would suspect the hoses first

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have an aftermarket aluminum radiator. I have used 3 of them and each one lasted less than a month before failure. There has been a huge amount written on that here at this forum and at VA. One aluminum radiator that has gotten praise is the Alan's made by Howe. I bought one of the last ones but I think Howe is still going to make them. The others have design issues that lead to failure and some day I will test my Alan's to see if the praise was warranted. I am using a custom 3-core copper that I had made from the stock radiator right now. I would throw the POS aluminum one in the car away and get a stock one. That leaky one is not worth repairing. See my thread at VA when the manufacturer tried to repair one of mine. Complete failure.

OP
OP
O

ohno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks dave, I read your post and went out on my quest to remove the radiator (I wish I had a big enough catch pan low enough though before hand). After removing the radiator this is the verdict
the radiator is in fact leaking.

Heres my next question though. This is not a NA motor, so that being said; would a stock radiator suffice with cooling or do I need something tougher and more efficient?

Thankyou everyone for helping me out thus far.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a front mount intercooler? If not, you can probably get away with a stocker. But have you looked into getting that radiator reparied? Check locally for radiator repair shops that weld on aluminum.

OP
OP
O

ohno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you have a front mount intercooler? If not, you can probably get away with a stocker. But have you looked into getting that radiator reparied? Check locally for radiator repair shops that weld on aluminum.

No front mount intercooler; the engine itself is upgraded, no FI. I've thought about repairing it, but I just want to get rid of the problem altogether (flushing coolant isn't at the top of my list of things I would like to do again). I found an oem radiator here for $440 1998 Dodge Viper Radiator which I may get, but on a side note is this the particular radiator that is well liked around the viper community Howe Racing Enterprises - Drop Ins?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not waste time fixing your existing radiator as I've never heard of nor had any positive experiences doing such. Can you post pics of any identifying marks, branding, stampings, serial numbers etc from it? I might be able to tell you who made it with that info.

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Following this thread!

I have a coolant leak on a 96 GTS with a Ron Davis radiator. The leak developed after swapping engines. Dripping down from the driver side bumper. I do not see a level in reservoir in the bumper (also hard to see, could be a level), and it is now dropping in the wheelside reservoir. Radiator hoses look clean.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Following this thread!

I have a coolant leak on a 96 GTS with a Ron Davis radiator. The leak developed after swapping engines. Dripping down from the driver side bumper. I do not see a level in reservoir in the bumper (also hard to see, could be a level), and it is now dropping in the wheelside reservoir. Radiator hoses look clean.

Best bet is to remove the reservoir and clean it and to inspect it's not got holes in it.

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

OP
OP
O

ohno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would not waste time fixing your existing radiator as I've never heard of nor had any positive experiences doing such. Can you post pics of any identifying marks, branding, stampings, serial numbers etc from it? I might be able to tell you who made it with that info.

There are no stand out markings/writing on the radiator; hell that being said there are no markings or writing what so ever on the part at all. I've made up my mind and decided to go with a oem version. I'm looking to see where I can get it cheapest right now considering I didn't plan on dropping a couple hundred on a radiator, but what can I do right? Its is what it is.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no stand out markings/writing on the radiator; hell that being said there are no markings or writing what so ever on the part at all. I've made up my mind and decided to go with a oem version. I'm looking to see where I can get it cheapest right now considering I didn't plan on dropping a couple hundred on a radiator, but what can I do right? Its is what it is.

Not that it matters, but if you are interested, post some good quality close-up pics of each corner of the radiator from around the outside of it. I bet one of us can figure out who made it.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would be interested in seeing who made it, I have a aluminum radiator in mine installed by the previous owner about a year and a half ago....my concern level has risen

OP
OP
O

ohno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here we are, pictures as requested:

You must be registered for see images