Where is the fuel pump relay, and, how do you test it?

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Turn the key on, but not to start. You should hear the fuel pump run for a brief moment.

Why do you suspect it is not working?

Dave,
I think he is still having issue with the snake not starting after a long hibernation. I'm sorry that I can't help but maybe you can ask the Wizard for some guidance :dunno:.

OP
OP

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh, I'm trying to narrow down why it won't start.

My car is in strorage, so I can't tell right now if I the fuel pump wants to prime right before starting. But I don't think there is any sound. I'll go out there tomorrow and check.

If there is no sound, then I want to check if the relay is working before getting to the fuel pump.

So I need to know how to check the relay by itself to see if it works.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a fuse in the PDC that goes to the relay. The relay is controlled by the PCM and interlocked with the Crank Position Sensor.

No crank rotation sensed, no fuel pump after 1 second.

You should be able to hear the relay and the fuel pump with your head in the trunk when someone turns the key on. Take a helper.

OP
OP

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PDC?

What will the relay sound like when (if) it engages?

The engine does crank over and over, so the 1 second rule shouldn't apply, right?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PDC?

What will the relay sound like when (if) it engages?

The engine does crank over and over, so the 1 second rule shouldn't apply, right?

Power Distribution Center right by the brake master cylinder.

The relay will make a light clicking noise when it trips. Put your hand on it and should be able to feel it.

The one second rule has to do with the crank sensor reporting to the PCM. Just because the engine is turning does not mean the crank sensor is functioning, but i doubt it would go bad just sitting there.

Have you reset your PCM just for grins?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of methods I'm aware of.

1) Remove all 3 connectors from PCM. Wait a minute or so and reconnect. Need a 5/16 nutdriver to remove cover.

***OR***

2) Remove positive battery cable from battery and ground to chassis momentarily. Reconnect to battery. Harder to get to the battery than the PCM. But I do it this way.

Then, do the following regardless of above:

Turn key to on. Do not start (or attempt to) car.

Press throttle fully and release. Repeat 4 times more to set WOT.

Turn key off and wait 20 seconds or so.

Start (or attempt to) car.

I know you have another thread going about the alarm and I read part of it. Have you done the press both buttons on the fob until the horn honks at you thing? Might not have anything to do with anything but it only takes 10 seconds.

OP
OP

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, yes did the 'press both key fob buttons at the same time'. Got 3 beeps from the car and then the dash gauge lights started flashing on/off. Reset the alarm this way about 4 times.

Tomorrow:
1. I'll check for a relay "click"
2. Listen for the fuel pump priming before starting.
3. Got another suggestion to push the schreader valve in on the fuel rail to check for fuel pressure.

The car is 20 miles away in storage. Can't just go into the garage...

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you do hear the fuel pump run for one second after turning the key, the hard starting after sitting might be caused by a faulty check valve in the pump module not holding pressure.

Try "the twist trick", turn the key on until the pump times out, turn the key off and on again....repeat several times to prime the system; if it then starts easier, the check valve is the problem.

OP
OP

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks...

Unfortunately:
1. There is no fuel pump prime sound.
2. The fuel relay doesn't click when the key is turned.
3. No spark at the plugs.

I now believe it is Auto Shut Down mode. I tried swapping the ASD relay with another, but still nothing. Don't know what to do to get it out of ASD. I've reset the alarm a zillion times.