Where on earth does everyone get the idea that Vipers handle badly?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I enjoy the Viper's handling...fairly predictable...certainly better and easier than,say 76-77 930 Turbo !!!

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the earlier model Vipers took a bad rap because of a bit of an over-steer problem. I also saw the article you mentioned and was glad to see that seems to be corrected.

I just sold my 911 earlier this summer after getting the Viper. I must admit though that, at least with my two cars, I could take tight corners faster with the Porsche. Probably a simple matter of physics with the rear engine weight. The difference isn't great but for instance, a tight 180 degree corner near my place I was able to take at about 50 mph with the 911 and at around 45 with the Viper. That is, before swinging the rear end out (not that it couldn't be done faster, but that was the break point without swinging). Now I know that isn't a fair comparison because there are lots of variable...tires, etc. The handling also is completely different so as I get more used to the Viper I will get better (I had the 911 for 4 years and was very familiar with it). But the cars do handle completely differently. The Porsche had to be made to go into the corner and gave you the impression it would rather straighten out while the Viper seems to want to dive into the corner.

I am certainly not a professional racer and I'm sure a lot of people on this board could and will debate this until they are blue, but my experience on a late 80's Porsche versus the 94 RT Viper is all I have to compare. A new GTS or ACR could probably out handle the 911 I had easily. But that's my two cents.

By the way, I did say I sold the Porsche so the handling wasn't an issue!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also owned a Porsche, but I found that my 93 Viper handles better. I will admit that at first, the 911 seemed to be a little easier, but that was based on the fact that the 911 was going much slower when I needed to maneuver the same turn.

The Reason many bash the handling on a Viper is simple. It is truly a BEAST to get used to. This is not a car that anyone can jump in and push to the max. All of the other want-to-be's either have some type of suspension or handling advancement that allow an average driver to push it harder without allowing it to bite them in the *** . Push a Viper hard, without knowing what you are doing, and it will surely throw back as hard.

I will say that these other cars are fine machines. But I also must say that they are designed so you can maximize their potential easily. In the Viper, you must maximize your personal skills first, then you can try and tame the beast.

Now let me ask you, how many of these test drivers do you think have the sack between their legs big enough to truly push a Viper? Look at the results from testing and there is the answer to the question!

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Steve's posting. The Viper drives different than most sports cars. The engine has so much torque it can cause a little understeer if pushed too hard.

The Viper has a little bit of a wandering feel to it when you first drive it. Some of that's due to the large tires, but much of it I feel is just feedback. I've found if I relax and let the car do the driving its a very easy car to drive at speed. If you put a death grip on the steering wheel and try to steer it your going to have trouble. Much of the high speed control comes from your right foot. You can play with the set up of the car by adjusting the torque at the rear end.

Granted I come from a dirt track background where the steering wheel doesn't really do that much.

I feel like I hit a new low when someone mentioned that maybe my driving was too aggressive. When considered too aggressive in a street stock dirt car in country Texas I think you've hit rock bottom.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang